Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2011, 10:09   #1
Resting in Peace

Angry Where's the line for Comedians

Nobody likes a laugh more than myself, but where should the line be drawn. A "Top Line Comedian" has again been blasted for telling tasteless jokes, the same comic that has done it on other occasions, he's the one who thought it funny that the was a bright side to having troops losing limbs, a great para-Olympic team and the other week thought it funny to make a gag about the motorway pill up that killed quite a few people. His latest effort was about Sunshine coaches and all the kids that use them look the same. That comedian is Jimmy Carr, when these saw called comedians have to stoop so low to get a laugh its time to jack it in, I wouldn't care but I don't think he's funny anyway
Old 25-11-2011, 10:39   #2
JFT96

Re: Where's the line for Comedians

I think these modern comics, I use that loosely, just do it to garner attention. Just look at Ricky Gervais, one of the most inept people on the planet, don't get me started on rosy and brand.....
Why not give Jasper Carrott, Smith and Jones, , Rowan Atkinson, John Cleese etc a new tv series.
And to think Bernard Manning was un PC ...

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 10:57   #3
Beacon of light

Modern comedians are so unfunny.
I cannot stand Keith Lemon. Himself watches his Celebrity Juice program and as soon as it comes on I leave the room. I find his humour coarse and tastless. Just the kind of thing that 12 year olds find amusing.
Jimmy Carr......he should go and play in the road with the heavy traffic......that boyle fellow too......crass and tastless.
The only one I can bear to watch is John Bishop.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 11:09   #4
JFT96

I have been a fan of Bish, well before he was big, seen him twice in Blackburn, shame he is not going there on his next tour, but goodness me he is funny.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 11:20   #5
God Member

so after all these years of telling jokes about children been raped by priests etc the final straw was a joke about a crash ?

people who hire him , go to see him know what to expect but i guess some people only go to see him so they can run back and alert everyone that a bad man is telling naughty jokes or somones hired him knowing they will get some publicity from his jokes.

iv told worse jokes down the pub and iv certainly recieved worse via text or email.

bad taste - yes

funny - depends on the person hearing it.

should he be stopped - No just because some folk dont like what they hear they shoud simply avoid him and leave his shows to the people who do

All i know is that if i was easily offended or was hosting a show for the easily offended i woudlnt hire or go to see jimmy carr

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 11:32   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
so after all these years of telling jokes about children been raped by priests etc the final straw was a joke about a crash ?

people who hire him , go to see him know what to expect but i guess some people only go to see him so they can run back and alert everyone that a bad man is telling naughty jokes or somones hired him knowing they will get some publicity from his jokes.

iv told worse jokes down the pub and iv certainly recieved worse via text or email.

bad taste - yes

funny - depends on the person hearing it.

should he be stopped - No just because some folk dont like what they hear they shoud simply avoid him and leave his shows to the people who do

All i know is that if i was easily offended or was hosting a show for the easily offended i woudlnt hire or go to see jimmy carr
My sentiments also, don't much care fer modern comics, but bottom line is a jokes a joke, ok some i hear i dont tell everyone, but i still tell em.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:20   #7
Beacon of light

Wasn't the joke about a downs syndrome child?

Can you imagine having a down's syndrome child...the disruption to your life......the health worries, the learning difficulties???
Making a joke about something like that is crass.
I worked in the NHS for many years and Nurses and Doctors are notoriuous for their black humour, but only among ourselves.
I would not pay to see these moronic stand up comics. Bernard Manning was slated because he talked about Non PC things in his act...people decided they didn't want to listen to homophobic nonsense, but Down's and disabled children is fair game?
Not in my book it isn't.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:31   #8
God Member

Styles in humour change as society changes.
Sick humour reflects a 'sick society'.
I don't find it amusing either.

I recently got into the habit of listening to Radio 4Extra, which re-airs old comedy shows, such as The Goon Show and Take it from Here. In their day I thought them hilarious - now they seem corny

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 12:54   #9
Resting In Peace

Two years ago I went to see Marcus Brigstocke live. He was on stage for over two hours and was... well, just funny. There are so many comedians about that some of them are bound to get on your tits. I like Boeing Guy's description of Ricky Gervais as one of the most inept people on the planet and I don't think anyone on these threads has said they find him funny. Others I can't stand are Russell Brand, Alan Carr, Jimmy Carr, Michael Mcintyre (if only for that irritating voice). Paul Merton is another turnoff.

I do like Dara O'Briain, Andy Parsons, Russell Howard, from which you will gather I am a Mock the Week fan, and yes, I also liked Frankie Boyle on that show.

It's a matter of personal taste though I do agree that certain subjects are best avoided.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 14:06   #10
Senior Member+

have to say i don't find him funny nor do i find most modern comedians funny, however i can at times have a very dark sense of humour and find humour in the worst of possible situations. i haven't heard the jokes in question so can't comment on them but i'm sure i've heard worse from mates.

don't forget, it wasn't that long ago that it was acceptable to take the mick out of race and colour.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 14:08   #11
I am Banned

Must agree i find most modern comics totally rubbish. I was never a fan of Chubby Brown who people found funny because he swore. But as someone said-if your easily offended dont go. John Bishop is one of the few i like.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 14:34   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
have to say i don't find him funny nor do i find most modern comedians funny, however i can at times have a very dark sense of humour and find humour in the worst of possible situations. i haven't heard the jokes in question so can't comment on them but i'm sure i've heard worse from mates.

don't forget, it wasn't that long ago that it was acceptable to take the mick out of race and colour.
In a private situation it is different........you know your friends, you know a little bit about them.....you wouldn't tell them a joke that took the rise out of something sensitive in their lives. That is the difference.

I know that comedy can sometimes take the sting out of a situation, but it has to be very carefully worked........and I think that to a great extent you have to know your target audience.
Sometimes you will go to a show thinking that you cannot be shocked, feeling pretty broad minded......but the callous and cruel way that the joke is portrayed maybe what stops you in your tracks.....and just because everyone is laughing and no-one walks out...does not mean that people were not offended.
Old 25-11-2011, 15:01   #13
Senior Member+

true enough, as i say i dont go in for most of the modern comedians as i do not find thrm funny. apart from a select few and i have never been one for manning or chubby brown either. i'm not offended by them they just aren't to my taste.

as i say,i cant comment on the jokes in question as i haven't heard them
Old 25-11-2011, 15:07   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post

in fact on accyweb it's still acceptable to take the mick out of us welsh
Old 25-11-2011, 15:27   #15
Give, give, give member

I said my piece on a smilar subject, in this thread.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ght-28885.html

Margaret P. mentioned those working in the health service as having a black humour.

Some people laugh at things they're not supposed to, as a release.

It's human nature.

A coping mechanism, for some, so they don't cry, at the cruelty life can inflict.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..