Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Regarding the wind farm on Ossy moors.
I am against the proposed wind farm. 7 17.50%
I am in favour of the proposed wind farm. 33 82.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 11:36   #31
God Member

Re: Wind farm poll.

Here is the map link I posted in the 'Windfarm Anyone' thread
Map of United Kingdom | Multimap.com

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-06-2007 at 11:39.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2007, 12:06   #32
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here is the map link I posted in the 'Windfarm Anyone' thread
Map of United Kingdom | Multimap.com
Handy map that Margaret thanks, Iv'e put a short cut in my favourites will have need of it again.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 16:47   #33
Give, give, give member

Wind Turbines Are Not Welcome (from This Is Lancashire)

Hurrah!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 18:37   #34
God Member

Since new houses are desperately needed and it is best to avoid flood plains and agricultural land, there is always Oswaldtwistle Moor - I think I would prefer a wind farm

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 12:54   #35

33 to 7 so far in favour of them. Looks like the obsever WAS right.
Mr Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 13:11   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
33 to 7 so far in favour of them. Looks like the obsever WAS right.

Yes, but since both Hyndburn and Rossendale Councils, as well as our MP, are reportedly against the proposed wind farm, the results of public opinions may not matter.

Old 25-07-2007, 20:06   #37

It never does these days.
Mr Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 20:41   #38
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes, but since both Hyndburn and Rossendale Councils, as well as our MP, are reportedly against the proposed wind farm, the results of public opinions may not matter.
It's like all the things that are,"not in my back yard", unless they are affected they don't give a damn
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 07:50   #39
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

think of the good things with these windfarms,.....my washing will dry in no time...if its not raining!!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48   #40
God Member

Just resurecting this old thread because I got a letter last week from the energy company proposing the turbines - EnergieKontor. They are still in the process of trying to put wind turbines on the Oswaldtwistle Moors and they are holding public consultations on

11th May, 2pm - 8pm at Oswaldtwistle and Church Cricket Club
13th May, 2pm - 8pm at Accrington Town Hall

If you have an opinion either way, you should probably go down and see the displays and talk to the people.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 14:53   #41
God Member

Is it true that the company EnergieKontor has, in the typical German quest for greater efficiency, designed the turbine blades in the shape of a giant swastika?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 17:11   #42

Ban the things!!! Let's have more nuclear power stations and loads more coal fired ones too!!! Good dirty energy is what we want!!!

Only joking. I think they are ok and good clean energy. Everything we do will result in loss of habitat and possible death for some poor creature from building projects to food growing. If this site is deemed to be ok what's the problem?? To be more effective the turbines need to be higher up on a hill where the wind is stronger. It's not like it's a designated AONB or National Park. The majority of people will not even know the location and will not see them purely because they don't venture out that way. Ossy is about 2 miles away as the crow flies and there are many false horizons. Apart from the pub who'll be in the vicinity?? Sheep and walkers/fellrunners etc to name a few. They aren't ugly in any way either.
Someone mentioned Hydro-electricity. Yep good point. But there'd be a lot more devastation from the production of the place and unlike windfarms they take a whole lot more maintenance.

An ever increasing population means ever increasing housing stock and therefore ever increasing power needs. Just where do some people think it comes from?? Hamsters??

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 19:32   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Someone mentioned Hydro-electricity. Yep good point. But there'd be a lot more devastation from the production of the place and unlike windfarms they take a whole lot more maintenance.
I think you're under the misassumption that all hydroelectric power needs to produced be on land, using great big structures, such as dams, wheels, etc.

It can easily be produced off shore, using tidal power, with very little effect on the environment, or the landscape.

As someone with exquisite aesthetic taste, I proclaim these windmills ugly, wherever they are sited.

End of.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:17   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
As someone with exquisite aesthetic taste, I proclaim these windmills ugly, wherever they are sited.
Yes Brian.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think you're under the misassumption that all hydroelectric power needs to produced be on land, using great big structures, such as dams, wheels, etc.

It can easily be produced off shore, using tidal power, with very little effect on the environment, or the landscape.

End of.

Go for it genius....with your exquisite aesthetic taste you'll change the world.

Then you'll come back to reality

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..