Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2005, 00:41   #61
Member.

Re: Women blamed ....for rape

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Women should be able to do what they like. The days of covering piano legs are long gone, as are the days when women had to cover up to be 'decent'.
It’s not just woman who are victims of rape. I would agree with you within reason that a woman should be able to do what she wants. But she should also act responsibly and take regard for her own welfare and safety, as should we all.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2005, 00:41   #62
God Member

On the basis of whats been said and the grey area issue should those who cry rape falsely (and as in an earlier post) be named shamed and charged with an offence that would give them jail time as a certainty? As has been said the guy even though innocent is labeled for life and has had his life ruined yet there is no protection or recompense. Yes someone who is guilty could be found innocent and vice versa but could a change in the court setup change this? If it would why hasnt it been pushed through?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 00:46   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I past comment in A-Bs thread that I felt that in the case of murder the choice of “Twelve Good Men” may be an ideal that has past into history, as with the case for the death sentence I feel that a panel of Judges might be more appropriate for the consideration and sentencing of Rape cases. A profession jury is less likely to react emotively and act appropriately in the interest of the public. I do believe that Rape cases should be conducted in a manner where the perpetrator and victim should be given anonymity until all the evidence is available and the investigation is complete. I believe that to give a man’s or woman’s name to the public prior to a conviction being made is in itself a crime.

A man or woman falsely accused face a life of ruin irrespective of the eventual outcome, by the same token any male or female falsely accusing another person of rape should know that they will face prosecution and a custodial sentence for there maliciousness. Although I think it’s wrong to blame a victim for the actions of another I do believe that when an individual is shown to have actively encouraged the sexual attentions of another that they must face their responsibility for their own actions and this should be taken into consideration when sentencing the perpetrator.

In regard to the dressing provocatively and the rest of it, well I think that as gone on since we wore animal skins, that said we should all take appropriate action to insure our own welfare and safety when we are going out, either alone or with friends.
Ok, I'm still drawn to the bit where you say, and I quote in full,

'Although I think it's wrong to blame a victim for the actions of another I do believe when an individual is shown to have actively encouraged the sexual attentions of another they must face the responsibility for their own actions and this should be taken into consideration when sentencing the perpetrator.'

To then go on to say provocative dress had been around since we wore animal skins, I do find disturbing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 00:50   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It’s not just woman who are victims of rape. I would agree with you within reason that a woman should be able to do what she wants. But she should also act responsibly and take regard for her own welfare and safety, as should we all.
They do in Saudia Arabia.

Covered from head to toe, and kept locked away.

Sadly they still have rape there, usually by family members.

Old 23-11-2005, 00:51   #65
God Member

I have 3 sisters and heaven forbid this happened to them I would dispite my own thoughts and views would have no optoin than to let the court in whatever form follow due process and accept its verdict. At the end of the day we could argue go round in circles and run this till our dieing days but it is at present out of our hands.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 23-11-2005, 00:56   #66
Member.

Quote:
Ok, I'm still drawn to the bit where you say, and I quote in full,

To then go on to say provocative dress had been around since we wore animal skins, I do find disturbing.
Look at costume and fashion throughout history and you will see wildly differing degrees of provocative dress. This might be a full bosom being displayed in the form of a heaving chest, a tight waist line defined by the use of a corset right down to recent times with topless dresses and mini skirts. at the end of the day Grainda I can only express my view point the way I see it. If you perceive it another way then that’s a matter for you…

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 23-11-2005, 00:59   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Look at costume and fashion throughout history and you will see wildly differing degrees of provocative dress. This might be a full bosom being displayed in the form of a heaving chest, a tight waist line defined by the use of a corset right down to recent times with topless dresses and mini skirts. at the end of the day Grainda I can only express my view point the way I see it. If you perceive it another way then that’s a matter for you…

Garinda Fashion/Textiles B.A. (Hons.)
I do happen to know the social implications of dress throughout the ages.

Old 23-11-2005, 01:02   #68
Member.

Quote:
Garinda Fashion/Textiles B.A. (Hons.)
I do happen to know the social implications of dress throughout the ages.
Then you will know what I was taking about won’t you.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 23-11-2005, 01:02   #69
God Member

So the clothing that is worn if classed as "provocative" should meen by all means look but you cannot touch?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 23-11-2005, 01:07   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Then you will know what I was taking about won’t you.
Yes I do, but I still stand believe that provocative dress shouldn't be used as evidence of any consent in a rape trial. Something that could be implied from your original post.

Old 23-11-2005, 01:09   #71
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
So the clothing that is worn if classed as "provocative" should meen by all means look but you cannot touch?
Errrrr..................YES Spuggie!

Your not telling me that if you saw a girl with a short skirt and a low cut top, you would take it as an invitation to touch her????????

Old 23-11-2005, 01:12   #72
I am Banned

Quote:
Errrrr..................YES Spuggie!

Your not telling me that if you saw a girl with a short skirt and a low cut top, you would take it as an invitation to touch her????????
no but i would definatley ask if i could
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 01:13   #73
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
What I was saying is that provocative forms of dress have been with us throughout our history and shouldn’t be use in an argument that dress is associated with rape. Very few people have report rape on a nudist beach or in connection with nudism in general so in my mind the state of dress of a victim shouldn’t be taken to mean that they asked for it. The rapist doesn’t necessarily think of what the victims wearing, there interested in exerting power over them and abusing the victim’s weakness.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 23-11-2005 at 01:24.
Old 23-11-2005, 01:17   #74
Member.

Quote:
Yes I do, but I still stand believe that provocative dress shouldn't be used as evidence of any consent in a rape trial. Something that could be implied from your original post.
That’s your interpretation Grainda and not what I actually said. It is a matter of reading what i did say in contex of the actual report.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 23-11-2005, 01:17   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
in my mind the state of dress of a victim should be taken to mean that they asked for it.
Sorry not editing your post, a direct quote.

If that is your opinion we will have to agree to disagree, rather strongly on my part.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..