Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 21:21   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Woolworth's

Mismanagement at a higher level doesn't make redundancy any easier to swallow. The Woollies board will just walk away from all the mess, the Insolvency service have to pick up the tab. Like I said, i feel for the staff, they don't order the stock in , they have no control of how the place have been run. Pawns.
Old 12-12-2008, 21:28   #122
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Typical a couple of brandys n blame the government fer a shop thats been in terminal decline fer many years.
Don't sup Brandy Cashy and in my humble opinion I'ts the current Labour Government that has been in decline for many years...perhaps terminal.?..I hope so.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 21:29   #123
God Member

this is proof the present system of feed the shareholder does not work .this is proof of thatcher politics catching up with us as i predicted years ago.you need to create proper infrastructure like investing your profits back into the company not feedin shareholders needs of a certain percentage of profits..i.e living above your means.....its all coming down like pack of cards.....im not making a political point im telling the truth from past experience.ive been made redundant 3 times from the textile industry..every time the company has been bought over by a foreign investment group after the order book..we need a manufacturing industry in this country to create infrastructure social and industrial but thatcher and her cronies got rid of that..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 21:34   #124
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
this is proof the present system of feed the shareholder does not work .this is proof of thatcher politics catching up with us as i predicted years ago.you need to create proper infrastructure like investing your profits back into the company not feedin shareholders needs of a certain percentage of profits..i.e living above your means.....its all coming down like pack of cards.....im not making a political point im telling the truth from past experience.ive been made redundant 3 times from the textile industry..every time the company has been bought over by a foreign investment group after the order book..we need a manufacturing industry in this country to create infrastructure social and industrial but thatcher and her cronies got rid of that..
Are you suggesting that the current Guru Lord M would be party to that.
I doubt it very much.

Old 12-12-2008, 21:44   #125
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its the political mindset (all parties) that needs to change, otherwise ya may as well whistle dixie.
Old 12-12-2008, 21:48   #126
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its the political mindset (all parties) that needs to change, otherwise ya may as well whistle dixie.
Never a truer word spoken

Old 12-12-2008, 21:50   #127
God Member

None of the political parties give a monkeys about the working class people IMO. What is hapening at Woolworths will be a lot more widespread before it finishes so what do the shower that are in power now decide? They are going to try and make everybody work, good idea if there were any blasted jobs
Old 12-12-2008, 21:51   #128
God Member

I had it explained to me the other day - how companies like Woollies go bust.

It's all down to insurance.

Most companies rely on buying things on credit. The companies that supply them take out insurance just in case Woollies can't pay up. That's fine but then if things get a bit shaky the insurance companies won't insure them any more so no one will supply them unless they pay up front.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 22:15   #129
Resting in Peace

The solution is quite simple as explained by an "educated" person on the radio this week.
A million people could work from home,putting junk mail into envelopes and posting them to every house in the country.
The said mail is then put in a white sack for re-cycling.
It is then used to make more junk mail and the whole process is repeated.
This will keep many people in work and all paid for by advertising.

Problem - what Problem?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 22:27   #130
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I had it explained to me the other day - how companies like Woollies go bust.

It's all down to insurance.

Most companies rely on buying things on credit. The companies that supply them take out insurance just in case Woollies can't pay up. That's fine but then if things get a bit shaky the insurance companies won't insure them any more so no one will supply them unless they pay up front.
Gayle that is spot on. Only this week, within my interests, I placed an order on a UK company. I did not ask for credit. the terms were 28 days from invoice...That was the company terms not mine.
I got notification that the goods would not be sent until the invoice was paid in full.
I have no problem with that and I think that the likes of Tesco and Asda should be put under similar rules as the small trader.
I know for a fact that these companies demand, sometimes three and six months credit from small companies who can hardly afford to stand it.
Give the small traders a level playing field and they will prosper.
Instead of Ministers of the Government who are hell bent on making the lives of the British Taxpayer hell by introducing stupid legislation.
Thou shalt not smoke..Thou shalt not be allowed to enjoy yourself. Thou shalt not go out at night for fear of mugging. Thou shall not find a dentist who will take you on....the list goes on and on and still we so gullable to trust and rely on these morons to run our affairs.
I am getting to the end of my four score years and ten but I hope that the new generation of intellegent people take the bull by the horns and show these cretins who are getting money under false pretences prove their worth and work for the people instead of self recognition and self preservation.
I dont know what the answer is....do you?

Old 12-12-2008, 22:38   #131
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Gayle that is spot on. Only this week, within my interests, I placed an order on a UK company. I did not ask for credit. the terms were 28 days from invoice...That was the company terms not mine.
I got notification that the goods would not be sent until the invoice was paid in full.
I have no problem with that and I think that the likes of Tesco and Asda should be put under similar rules as the small trader.
I know for a fact that these companies demand, sometimes three and six months credit from small companies who can hardly afford to stand it.
Give the small traders a level playing field and they will prosper.
Instead of Ministers of the Government who are hell bent on making the lives of the British Taxpayer hell by introducing stupid legislation.
Thou shalt not smoke..Thou shalt not be allowed to enjoy yourself. Thou shalt not go out at night for fear of mugging. Thou shall not find a dentist who will take you on....the list goes on and on and still we so gullable to trust and rely on these morons to run our affairs.
I am getting to the end of my four score years and ten but I hope that the new generation of intellegent people take the bull by the horns and show these cretins who are getting money under false pretences prove their worth and work for the people instead of self recognition and self preservation.
I dont know what the answer is....do you?
the same applied during the 80s recession,do you honestly think "ANY" party in power will create a level playing field? i know i'm a cynical sod but i doubt it very much.
Old 12-12-2008, 22:44   #132
Passed away 25-11-09

[quote=Royboy39;659625] I am getting to the end of my four score years and ten............ /quote]

You are 90 years old?
Old 12-12-2008, 22:45   #133
God Member

i agree ,we need a new political force it isnt right/left wing anymore political and social needs have moved on these political leanings are outdated .we need commonsense and learn to know that political correctness or thatcherism doesnt work.we need to be more sociably accountable instead of doing nothing we need to do something......we need to look at the bigger picture ..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 22:50   #134
Give, give, give member

Interesting that Woolworths not only survived the Great Depression, but boomed.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 23:08   #135
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
i agree ,we need a new political force it isnt right/left wing anymore political and social needs have moved on these political leanings are outdated .we need commonsense and learn to know that political correctness or thatcherism doesnt work.we need to be more sociably accountable instead of doing nothing we need to do something......we need to look at the bigger picture ..
nah yer talking sense mate, never make a member of parliment.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..