Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 10:16   #1
Senior Member+

Would You Leave Your House Empty?

For several weeks now we have been waiting to have some work done in the bathroom.Finally last week the plumber said he would be here on saturday to do the work.Saturday morning he phones to say he can't make it until mid week.I told him it would be no good as we would all be out at work,& i wanted someone in the house while the work was bieng done."I can come & pick up a key,or leave it with a neighbour".Now he seems a decent enough lad,& wer'e pretty desperate to get the job done,but i'm not prepared to leave the house with no family members in whilst,an almost,complete stranger carries out his work.As well as the obvious,it's no good if something goes wrong & wer'e not there to oversee it.Does anyone here think i'm doing the right thing,cos the wife isn't too pleased,she wanted the work done for Xmas
Old 10-12-2006, 10:22   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Would You Leave Your House Empty?

It is a difficult situation. Could yourself or your wife not take the day off? Failing that, phone in sick.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:27   #3
I am Banned

Not in this day & age i wouldnt leave anyone i dont trust in the house un supervised specially strangers not even for a minute erm nipping to shop or doing without shopping would survice than leaving a workperson here un supervised, he might look honest & abiding but how can u be actually sure

Could one of you take the day off work or call sick or arrange it when there is someone at home.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:28   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
It is a difficult situation. Could yourself or your wife not take the day off? Failing that, phone in sick.

Love to,alas its a fortnight to xmas & we dont want to lose a days wages.Iv'e also thought of a housesitter but i really dont want to burden anyone else as its arather big job he's carrying out.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:32   #5
God Member

I never ever allow people in to do work while I'm out. The workmen can be as honest as anything but I don't beleive they can be as dilligent as yourself in protecting your property from people walking in to it while they are working. I might be paranoid about it but it's a policy I've always had.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:00   #6
Resting in Peace

Well, I must be the odd one out here, having been a single parent and having to go to work for the last 20 years, .. I was only too pleased to leave them to it. The thought of being disturbed at weekends with hammering, banging, doors opening and closing on top of my son usually accompanied by an entourage of friends, and my grandaughter to contend with, just grips me with horror.

I would gladly leave him out the facility for a brew and a few jaffa cakes and tell him to get on with it. Presume he isn't going to go far anyway if you have any complaints .

I find it a nuisance when gas men, delivery men, etc, can only come during the day and I have to arrange for my brother to come up to the house for a short while.. but can't expect him to stay for a whole day whilst a bigger job is done. In fact, have offered to leave the key under a brick or summat, and now they just refuse point blank. Need a new gas meter seemingly, but just can't synchronise our timing. Maybe I am too trusting, but I think the risk value is very low, and never had any problems up to press.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:17   #7
I am Banned

when i was younger my mum got her house rewired , money went missing and i got the crap kicked out of me as the electrician was such a friendly guy he couldnt have possibly done it

i dont care how highley recomended anyone comes i wouldnt leave them alone in my house period unless it was a family friend or somthing

ring in sick that day like anyone else would i can gurentee you plenty of people will be rininging in sick soon to do their xmas shopping so why not
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:23   #8
Senior Member+

[quote=chav1;3485

ring in sick that day like anyone else would i can gurentee you plenty of people will be rininging in sick soon to do their xmas shopping so why not [/quote]Like iv'e said before,we don't want to phone in sick and lose a days wages as next weeks wages are the ones we'll be getting for the xmas holidays.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:38   #9
God Member

Is there no-way one of you could take a days Holiday. I would risk explaining to the boss your situation and ask if you could take that day as a holiday.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:40   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
ring in sick that day like anyone else would i can gurentee you plenty of people will be rininging in sick soon to do their xmas shopping so why not
Chav That is just as bad as anyone who would steal from your house, you would be stealing from your employer by doing this.

Can you not pop home at lunch Maxwell, just to see how things are going ?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:06   #11

To me,Leaving your house to any person,tradesman or whatever is a complete "No No".My experience with most of these people is that they are dunderheads, who if you give them instructions,will do the ecxact opposite.
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:12   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Boy View Post
To me,Leaving your house to any person,tradesman or whatever is a complete "No No".My experience with most of these people is that they are dunderheads, who if you give them instructions,will do the ecxact opposite.
Well, if Maxwell needs the job doing, looks like he doesn't have any choice here ... other than wait a little longer.

Hope you sort it out anyway.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:17   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Chav That is just as bad as anyone who would steal from your house, you would be stealing from your employer by doing this.
1 point

1: he wouldnt be getting paid for the time off so its not stealing

ive taken advantage of the berievment policy at 2 companies i have worked for when i have needed time off, i told them both that my dad had died , granted he died in 1976 but i wasnt asked when so i wasnt technicaly lying
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:20   #14
God Member

ive taken advantage of the berievment policy at 2 companies i have worked for when i have needed time off, i told them both that my dad had died , granted he died in 1976 but i wasnt asked when so i wasnt technicaly lying [/quote]

omg Chav lmao!! but it's true.....they didn't ask when he died, so you wasn't lying

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:22   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
1 point

1: he wouldnt be getting paid for the time off so its not stealing

ive taken advantage of the berievment policy at 2 companies i have worked for when i have needed time off, i told them both that my dad had died , granted he died in 1976 but i wasnt asked when so i wasnt technicaly lying
He's already said though, won't be paid if off, no matter what the reason.
You didn't mean that anyway and you know it, you little tinker ..

Hope you didn't use your own imaginative excuse too many times Chav .. got to have a good memory if you lie, you know ...

Last edited by katex; 10-12-2006 at 12:24.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..