Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2008, 18:33   #1
God Member

Yank helicopter in Lytham.

Took the car for a spin today, went to Lytham, it was gala day, along with many flying kites, people walking (many with pets), a fairground, and a closed windmill, there was an old American fighter helicopter, with all the gunsets, some of the bullet holes, and the owner/pilot, brilliant to see along with some jeeps etc, all had been used in the vietnamese war, were bought in a museum in USA and restored here, the chopper cost £140k and 3 times that to renovate, it is used for films, documentaries, air shows and the likes, the upkeep is still not covered by its work, it has to be serviced every 25 hours, and the engineer is brought from london to do this, kept in a hotel and taken back at the owners expense, this is because it is cheaper than taking the chopper to him for service, I heard that these things are expensive on fuel, but this particular one goes through an incredible 100 gallons of fuel every hour!! No wonder it doesnt pay for its keep, it apparently costs the owner another 20k per annum after all the payments received from the films etc.
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2008, 18:37   #2
God Member

Re: Yank helicopter in Lytham.

Whilst up tha way, went through Blackpool, which is undergoing major surgery in parts, and Cleveleys, which is unrecognisable from the Cleveleys I took the kids to 2 years ago, the little kiddies fairground thing has gone, the park further on which had a paddling pool etc is also no more, on the plus side, it does look very very nice, didnt bump into any accywebbers though, Granny, cherokee or JJ for example, then again, wouldnt know 2 of them if they jumped up and slapped me round the chops! Did meet 2 lovely ladies in the lifeboat centre though, one of who has a grandson who is apparently attending the Accrington Stanley school of excellence, (didnt know accy had one )
Old 28-06-2008, 19:45   #3

My son was at Lytham today with one of his mates kite flying.he took the cameraso hopefully he might of took pics of the helicopter
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 19:51   #4
God Member

Please see the thread on UFO's over Accy. This is the machine that was captured on film. It's just a shame it wasn't a B52 which could have wiped out Burnley.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 20:34   #5
JFT96

100 gallons.... not bad thats only 300 Kilos per hour, considering that the Huey, I take it it was one of those, is a very old machine. The Aux Power Unit on the B737 uses 160 Kilos per hour, and a Cessna 172 uses 9 Gallons or 27 Kilos PH. The twin engined piston aircraft I few during training burn 25 Gallons or 75 Kilos. We like to use weight in aviation as fuel will expand or contract depending on the temp and air density, but the weight is a constant. Also remember that the fuel is Jet a or Jet 1, which is slightly cheaper than Petrol.

Wish I had been there to have a look, I bet the photos are great!

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 23:42   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
100 gallons.... not bad thats only 300 Kilos per hour, considering that the Huey, I take it it was one of those, is a very old machine. The Aux Power Unit on the B737 uses 160 Kilos per hour, and a Cessna 172 uses 9 Gallons or 27 Kilos PH. The twin engined piston aircraft I few during training burn 25 Gallons or 75 Kilos. We like to use weight in aviation as fuel will expand or contract depending on the temp and air density, but the weight is a constant. Also remember that the fuel is Jet a or Jet 1, which is slightly cheaper than Petrol.

Wish I had been there to have a look, I bet the photos are great!
Have a couple of photo's, will get someone to upload them for me, this particular one was used by the 129th something or other, was a fearsome machine. errm! MICK!!
Old 28-06-2008, 23:43   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Please see the thread on UFO's over Accy. This is the machine that was captured on film. It's just a shame it wasn't a B52 which could have wiped out Burnley.
lmao at wipe out burnley, will have a look. lol
Old 28-06-2008, 23:45   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
My son was at Lytham today with one of his mates kite flying.he took the cameraso hopefully he might of took pics of the helicopter
Lots of kite flying polly, was watching a young girl fly one, she had a lot more control than the lads, she moved it about wherever she liked, at one point, she flew it across the rough land, at about 6 feet high, in a straight line for about 200 yards she was brill.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..