Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2006, 15:37   #1
Junior Member+

Calling people of Accrington!

Make yourself heard!

All day at the outdoor market...

...TUSEDAY 24TH OCTOBER

Come along and have your say as we put the future of Accrington town centre up for debate.

You may recognise us from last week...we were dressed as perculiar halloween characters - and were interested to hear what YOU want in Accy.

Next week we will be able to show you the product of the inspiration you provided us with, and will have our ideas available for discussion. Let us know what you really think - good or bad - we want to make a difference!

Hope to see you there...

...much love from your freakily friendly sheffield students!!!
Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-10-2006, 17:12   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Calling people of Accrington!

In preparation for tomorrows events in town here's a taster of what we have in store for you..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg market day.jpg (139.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg waterways.jpg (152.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Market montage.jpg (123.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg viaduct.jpg (187.9 KB, 45 views)
Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 17:36   #3
Resting in Peace

I'm with you Pumpkin, if I weren't working would come and see what ideas you have come up with, hope some members will attend.

Please remember folks that these students are the planners/architects of the future who will be going out into the world working for our Councils or Environmental Consultants and charging £ 50 + per hour, so take advantage and get a freebie.... they have chosen our town for their project so give them some support.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 18:11   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin
perculiar
It's to be hoped you aren't English students.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 19:04   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
It's to be hoped you aren't English students.
Your imput to this thread is amazing Yerself ..
Old 23-10-2006, 20:00   #6
Beacon of light

Well I will give it a go. I looked at the pics and I have to say that the only one that I really like is the lake under the viaduct.......the rest of the pics are just a bit in your face and gimmicky.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 22:06   #7
Junior Member+

They are all quite different, aren't they? I like the fact there are more market stalls in the first one- the market could do with being a bit larger. I think the viaduct is quite a striking feature of Accrington its funny that its not made more of.

I think that what the town centre really needs is a good sheltered area where teenagers can meet their friends and old men can sit and talk- what does everyone else think?
Archstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 22:20   #8
God Member

it would only be taken over by the drug taking chavvy scum that seem to frequent the town centre
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 23:02   #9
Resident Waffler

I really like this one:

Probably because it comes close to something I've been waffling on about for ages. Have you looked at the area round the back of Oak St/Warner St/Grange Lane? I would so love to see the Hyndburn made a feature of in the town centre but perhaps not right bang slap in the middle where it could be a handicap to traffic and pedestrians. Tucked round the other side of the Arcade it could be a nice little refuge and yet not get in the way.

Today we were in a lovely little place called Bourton on the Water where the river is a real asset as can be seen from these photos. We have the potential here in Accy but we hide it and try to pretend it isn't there.

As you can see in Bourton the water is quite shallow and the banks of the river are very low, in fact one road is a ford. My only concern would be not to have steep banks a child could fall down and water deep enough to drown in. The landscaping could be a gentle slope falling towards the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bedfordshire Oct 2006 055.jpg (101.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Bedfordshire Oct 2006 056.jpg (99.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Bedfordshire Oct 2006 057.jpg (95.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Bedfordshire Oct 2006 058.jpg (103.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Bedfordshire Oct 2006 059.jpg (97.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Bedfordshire Oct 2006 060.jpg (81.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Bedfordshire Oct 2006 061.jpg (100.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Bedfordshire Oct 2006 062.jpg (115.9 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 23-10-2006 at 23:06.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 06:51   #10

Could this realy happen in Accrington.:engsmil:
Old 24-10-2006, 09:05   #11
Resting in Peace

Well i have been to town and had a word with these guys and they have some really good ideas ,
so if your in town near the market go and have a look and a natter.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 13:20   #12
Resident Waffler

I've just been and had a look and had a chat with the guys and come away with a very positive impression. If you don't like the ideas and suggestions they have come up with go and tell them your own.

We spend a lot of time here on the AccyWeb having a moan and a grouch about the state of things and yet when we have the opportunity to be involved in helping to create and suggest something positive are we taking that opportunity or are we just going to sit here and moan that it'll never get off the ground, or there's a spelling mistake, or there are too many chavs here for it to be worthwhile?

Peter Britcliffe wants us to pretend Accy is all glorious and hunky dory when it isn't. Instead of that, let's get involved in making it better than hunky dory. Let's make it a town to be proud of again.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 18:38   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Your imput to this thread is amazing Yerself ..
I always try to be constructive katex. Glad you appreciate it.

Old 24-10-2006, 18:49   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
I always try to be constructive katex. Glad you appreciate it.
Cheeky young sprogg (well, think young .. no age on yer' profile)

Pleased at least two of us made the effort to take a look today anyway. Must tell us what they had to say on Sat. Mick .. x
Old 24-10-2006, 18:55   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
no age on yer' profile
If it gives you a clue I was in the same form as a certain Mr. T. Leaf at school.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..