Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 16:00   #16
Roy
Administrator

Re: Countdown to International Women's Week

Quote:
International Women's Day (March 8th) is an event that is recognised in over 80 countries and recognised by the United Nations.
Tell me about it! It is a national holiday here in Russia and all women are given presents and treated like royalty for the day. All men hate it of course, apart from the day off work
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2006, 16:49   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Tell me about it! It is a national holiday here in Russia and all women are given presents and treated like royalty for the day. All men hate it of course, apart from the day off work
The funny thing is that all this foolishness started in the US, by strangely enough, a bunch of commies there; the idea was then pinched by the Russkies and developed through the Soviet era. The irony, of course, is that when it comes to womens empowerment, marxist countries are no better than Islamic fundamentalist ones. Still, If women believe in this womens week twaddle & it keep's 'em happy, then so be it.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 06-02-2006 at 17:01.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 18:00   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
The funny thing is that all this foolishness started in the US, by strangely enough, a bunch of commies there; the idea was then pinched by the Russkies and developed through the Soviet era. The irony, of course, is that when it comes to womens empowerment, marxist countries are no better than Islamic fundamentalist ones. Still, If women believe in this womens week twaddle & it keep's 'em happy, then so be it.
Think you'll find that it started in Germany and Austria and across some countries in Europe.

You're only jealous that no man has ever got of his jacksy to organise one for you - or is every week International Men's week?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 18:14   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
or is every week International Men's week?
We are not that bad Gayle. Only 51 weeks a year are ours, you have pinched one from us
Old 06-02-2006, 19:32   #20
God Member

Very generous of you Neil.

Old 06-02-2006, 19:58   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think you need 1 week a year to rest. Us men arn't that bad. We will save the washing and ironing etc till the week after[joke]
Old 06-02-2006, 20:08   #22
God Member

Ah, but if only it were a week to rest - it's my busiest week of the year with 9 events to run!

Old 07-02-2006, 08:22   #23
God Member

Quote:
Think you'll find that it started in Germany and Austria and across some countries in Europe.
Have a read of this; a nice, concise, history:-

http://www.nwhp.org/events/iwd/iwd.html

As usual, I'm right.
Old 07-02-2006, 13:31   #24
God Member

Sorry, but I'm still disagreeing with you, but only in a pedantic and argumentative way, of course!

The US decided that they should hold a National Women's Day. The date was never agreed and was not International.

In 1911, following an International conference, a date - March 8th was set as International Women's Day and it was first upheld by Germany, Austria and some other European countries. Therefore, International Women's Day did not start in America - splitting hairs I know but very important with regards to the timeline.

Old 07-02-2006, 14:17   #25
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Ah, but if only it were a week to rest - it's my busiest week of the year with 9 events to run!
easy for a woman! being multitask gurus.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 16:13   #26
God Member

Maybe Staggers could get a bash organised down the pub for this theme week. What about Topless Womens Darts, like what they used to have on t'telly? I'm sure that would be in keeping with the prevailing ethos of the celebration and would attract a lot more punters than a lesbian chappati-making workshop in t'town hall.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 07-02-2006 at 16:21.
Old 07-02-2006, 20:05   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Maybe Staggers could get a bash organised down the pub for this theme week. What about Topless Womens Darts, like what they used to have on t'telly? I'm sure that would be in keeping with the prevailing ethos of the celebration and would attract a lot more punters than a lesbian chappati-making workshop in t'town hall.

Oh, and if only you'd told me before and I'd have added it on to the leaflets.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:34   #28
land of hope and glory

gayle just send them down! tea-leaf what a brainstormer you are! have you ever thought of becomming a local goffer or an organiser even a councillor with your skills and thoughts mate, YOU GOT MY VOTE!we may even end up in great britain? where it all once started!:engsmil:
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 18:34   #29
God Member

So we're two events down, seven to go. I spent this morning with a parent and toddler group giving the parents a much needed pampering whilst their children were looked after by creche workers. Then went on to Radio Lancs in the afternoon.

Tomorrow we have Confidence and Assertivenes courses at the Women's Centre.

Then Wednesday, well, I think we all know what's happening on Wednesday - we're having an Accy web meeting at Accrington Stanley Football Club, aren't we? Actually, Less, Staggers, you won't be on your own because some other members have asked me for tickets.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:50   #30
God Member

Well, I've certainly not asked for tickets. However, I do believe that Less & Staggers will be taking up the challenge and braving this loonacy. For their sake, I just hope the bar is open throughout the performance.

I shall not be there; I shall keep the faith.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..