Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2010, 22:21   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Happy Mount Park - Morcambe

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Neil .. did you notice if they still have the lights in there ? Realise you will have left before dusk.
As in street lights? Yes they did. I noticed them because I want them in our park .

I was told off for noticing things wrong as I walked around
Old 29-06-2010, 13:07   #17
Full Member+

Wow a positive thread about Morecambe - thanks folks.
Makes a change from the usual comments we get about how bad it is, normally from people who haven't been for many years.
Anyone with kids and on a budget should bring a picnic, catch a bus to Heysham and then walk back along the promenade (3 mile 'ish' and on the flat). There is a lot to see and the whole way is pram, pushchair and wheel chair friendly.
If you are celebrating, try high tea at the Midland but avoid it on hot days unless you like to be roasted.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 13:43   #18
God Member

We went to Morcambe last year , it was a beautiful day and the place had improved loads from the last time i visited......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 15:14   #19
God Member

Ex Pat, what is there at Heysham? i was looking at the buses that went that way the other day, is there anything that way for the kids?

we are taking our bikes next time we go, it's dead flat and ideal for bike riding
Old 29-06-2010, 15:30   #20
God Member

Heysham, Lancashire Tourist Information on AboutBritain.com

There is`nt a lot there but its very nice and ideal for bikes................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 17:23   #21
God Member

cheers pipples
Old 29-06-2010, 18:55   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
what if the dog started wi the trots? lovely stuff fer kiddies to play in, its all about thinking of others.
Dogs can get those anywhere Cashy...'if'. Even in Milnshaw Park Easier to pick up though, shovel sand over it, then shovel it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
As in street lights? Yes they did. I noticed them because I want them in our park .

I was told off for noticing things wrong as I walked around
No, they always had fairy lights and illumination features ... very pretty.

I would love to see lights in all our parks in Hyndburn, Neil. Quite romantic.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 19:10   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I would love to see lights in all our parks in Hyndburn, Neil. Quite romantic.
I was talking about lights in the park today. Might take a while though. Sorry to disapoint you Kate but I will not be able to take you for a romantic walk if we ever get them
Old 29-06-2010, 20:01   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I was talking about lights in the park today. Might take a while though. Sorry to disapoint you Kate but I will not be able to take you for a romantic walk if we ever get them
Yet another rejection ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 20:49   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yet another rejection ...
Now kate ya can't complain about that un?
Old 29-06-2010, 21:00   #26
Give, give, give member

Sadly my grandparents moved to Morecambe.

The last time I went to the park they'd just opened a Wombles Tunnel.

Is it still there?

Hopefully the over touchy feely Uncle Bulgaria won't be, and is now safely behind bars.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 21:30   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Last time i went many years ago, had me car trashed on a paid car park on the front. both mirrors snapped off n car ariel, was well impressed n have never returned, so would suggest its safer by bus, the yobs who did it must have grown up by now n probably graduated to taking the whole car.
Old 29-06-2010, 21:59   #28
God Member

When I retired in 1994, I spent 2 days a week for 2 years living with my mum in Morecambe, so that I could do all her housework and such.

Many of the old folk who lived in the sheltered accommodation were afraid to go out because of the high instance of muggings by the other half of the population who were unemployed living in the bed and breakfast places.

I got her bulk shopping at Asda Lancaster on the way in, but sometimes she had forgotten to ask for something in our phone call the night before, so I needed to shop in Morecambe centre.
I found that I was queuing at checkouts behind people buying only basics - tea sugar bread marg and spuds, and whole families were visiting the nearby chip shop daily, and surviving on chips and gravy.

It may have wonderful sunsets and a new promenade, but I wouldn't live there, even rent free.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 22:26   #29
God Member

Is this place (Happy Mount Park) the place where they used to have Morcambe 'illuminations', going back 50 odd years ,once went on one of Walter Barnes 'coaches' they were rubbish nowhere near as good as Blackpool
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 22:49   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Is this place (Happy Mount Park) the place where they used to have Morcambe 'illuminations', going back 50 odd years ,once went on one of Walter Barnes 'coaches' they were rubbish nowhere near as good as Blackpool
Yes, to rival Blackpool Illuminations, Morecambe had their own Son et Lumière in Happy Mount Park.

Stubby candles in jam jars, hung from the bushes, accompanied by the sound of pensioners from Bingley, sat in shelters, singing 'I'm H-A-P-P-Y'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..