Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2010, 22:57   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Happy Mount Park - Morcambe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When I retired in 1994, I spent 2 days a week for 2 years living with my mum in Morecambe, so that I could do all her housework and such.

Many of the old folk who lived in the sheltered accommodation were afraid to go out because of the high instance of muggings by the other half of the population who were unemployed living in the bed and breakfast places.

I got her bulk shopping at Asda Lancaster on the way in, but sometimes she had forgotten to ask for something in our phone call the night before, so I needed to shop in Morecambe centre.
I found that I was queuing at checkouts behind people buying only basics - tea sugar bread marg and spuds, and whole families were visiting the nearby chip shop daily, and surviving on chips and gravy.

It may have wonderful sunsets and a new promenade, but I wouldn't live there, even rent free.
I knew your parents had retired there.

Odd really, your parents, and my grandparents being friends and neighbours for so many years, and them all moving there.

It does have beautiful sunsets, and the view across the Bay can be stunning, but the place is dreary to me.

Easter holidays in the seventies. Grey, rain lashed, deserted, and sad.

God's waiting room, for folk who thought Blackpool too racy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2010, 06:09   #32
Full Member+

I wondered how long it would be before the negative comments started.
With regards to the B&B's converted to DHSS doss houses, I agree there is a problem but fortunately it is limited to one area, a part of the West End. we, as Morecambe residents avoid walking in that area at night.
I wouldn't say this is a Morecambe problem though as my Nephew, who still lives in Accrington was mugged walking down Eagle Street at 4pm in the afternoon. Most towns have their 'rough' areas and I don't know what the various parts of Accrington are like at the moment but I remember Fern Gore, Woodnook and a little further afield, Huncoat being places to avoid in daylight never mind night time.

As regards Heysham, there is very little to do although they do have a few nice cafes for the refreshment fans.
If you are bringing your bikes, pick up the Cycle Path leaflet from Tourist Information as there are many of them to explore based mainly on the numerous old railway lines.

With regards to the weather, if it is raining it is miserable here but isn't that the same anywhere unless you dig deep into your pockets and do something inside.

Happy Mount Park did used to have illuminations many years ago but they were spoilt by miserable folk from Hyndburn complaining they weren't as good as Blackpool. I remember walking around bay from the Midland hotel and seeing the magical site of lights following the curved line. Then we went into Happy Mount Park and saw the Tableaux.

It was magical!

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell

Last edited by Morecambe Ex Pat; 30-06-2010 at 06:16.
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 07:07   #33
God Member

i already have a cycle route map, got one when i was there
Old 30-06-2010, 08:00   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
I wondered how long it would be before the negative comments started.
With regards to the B&B's converted to DHSS doss houses, I agree there is a problem but fortunately it is limited to one area, a part of the West End. we, as Morecambe residents avoid walking in that area at night.
I wouldn't say this is a Morecambe problem though as my Nephew, who still lives in Accrington was mugged walking down Eagle Street at 4pm in the afternoon. Most towns have their 'rough' areas and I don't know what the various parts of Accrington are like at the moment but I remember Fern Gore, Woodnook and a little further afield, Huncoat being places to avoid in daylight never mind night time.

As regards Heysham, there is very little to do although they do have a few nice cafes for the refreshment fans.
If you are bringing your bikes, pick up the Cycle Path leaflet from Tourist Information as there are many of them to explore based mainly on the numerous old railway lines.

With regards to the weather, if it is raining it is miserable here but isn't that the same anywhere unless you dig deep into your pockets and do something inside.

Happy Mount Park did used to have illuminations many years ago but they were spoilt by miserable folk from Hyndburn complaining they weren't as good as Blackpool. I remember walking around bay from the Midland hotel and seeing the magical site of lights following the curved line. Then we went into Happy Mount Park and saw the Tableaux.

It was magical!
It's nice someone there is still H-A-P-P-Y.

Old 30-06-2010, 08:34   #35
Give, give, give member

Incidentally, I did like going to Happy Mount Park as a child. Which I did often, whilst my grandpa played balls. The facilities there were very good, and it's heartening to hear that it's still seen as an asset, and worthy of investment.

I have been to Morecambe recently, and was impressed at the imagination that's gone into making the seafront appealing. The shops were disappointing. Pound shops and discount stores, replacing the independents of old.

The Midland Hotel is a national treasure, and looks magnificant.

Old 30-06-2010, 09:09   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Incidentally, I did like going to Happy Mount Park as a child. Which I did often, whilst my grandpa played balls.
Your Grandpa would not have been impressed to see the cricket stumps on the green and a large family having a picnic when we were there
Old 30-06-2010, 09:40   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Your Grandpa would not have been impressed to see the cricket stumps on the green and a large family having a picnic when we were there
We should send you as an envoy, to help them set up a Friends of group, to help keep the imbeciles off the bowling greens.

Old 30-06-2010, 09:51   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Are you allowed to shoot people who are stupid?
If so I used to be a fairly good shot a few years ago
Old 30-06-2010, 09:54   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are you allowed to shoot people who are stupid?
No.

As soon there wouldn't be any of us members left on Accy Web.

Old 30-06-2010, 10:03   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No.

As soon there wouldn't be any of us members left on Accy Web.

Not if he shot himself first?
Old 30-06-2010, 10:12   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
I wondered how long it would be before the negative comments started. ------------------------------[ They say the truth hurts.:]D
Most towns have their 'rough' areas and I don't know what the various parts of Accrington are like at the moment but I remember Fern Gore, Woodnook and a little further afield, Huncoat being places to avoid in daylight never mind night time.----------------------------------------[ does yer memory also tell ya folk dont go on holiday to Fern Gore,Woodnook, Huncoat?:]D

Happy Mount Park did used to have illuminations many years ago but they were spoilt by miserable folk from Hyndburn complaining they weren't as good as Blackpool.
another example of the truth hurting?
Old 30-06-2010, 11:26   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not if he shot himself first?
I try to be careful where I shoot
Old 30-06-2010, 14:09   #43
Full Member+

Re cycle routes
Check out the route to the 'Crook 'o' Lune and Woody's cafe

Last edited by Morecambe Ex Pat; 30-06-2010 at 14:13.
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 19:34   #44

I was born in accrington thirty five years in rishton after getting married the only place where we could get a house and then back to accrington back to my roots as they say but sorry it did not work out thankfully we where offered a move two years ago to sunny morecambe it as been like emigrating to a new country the others that moved here from accrington will know what I mean when I say look outside the morecambe arndale We have been lucky as where we are now we are just off the new sandylands promenade and my wife can be on there on her scooter in five minutes theres been quite a few events recently the kite flying last sunday our grandson over the weekend followed his grandma down for that while I as a former bandsman went to happy mount park to listen to the band a splendid afternoon for the three of us my wife and I cant believe how good our move here as been
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 21:22   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Glad ya love it Keith mate, don't let any of these scroats mock "Gods Waiting Room"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..