Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 07:34   #16
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Mela

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
for one day hardly in perspective with olympics which is employing people for years. plus accy carnival has to raise money through accrington lions so why does this get lottery money
Because the lottery don't just hand money out without people applying - I apply for the money, I get it, I'm guessing that Accrington Carnival don't apply.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that it's multicultural - it's the fact that it's a good event that gets about 3,000 sat outdoors having a good time.

I think it's more important that I'm paying the wages of people in Accrington through this event that people who live in London. And yes, it's one day, but if we all packed it in these people wouldn't make a living at all. I think it's more important to get the money circulating around our town.

For example - stage hire company and stage management - I've hired them for about 5 events this year - all different and all lottery funded. He pays his wage and the wages of two men who he brings with him. So, in the course of this year I've given them all a week's wage. He and the rest of his team all come from Oswaldtwistle - they get paid, they spend the money in Ossy pubs and Ossy shops.

I agree, it's not on the scale of the Olympics but it's feeding local people.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2009, 07:39   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Because they add the multiculturism tag to it that's the bugbear.
That's complete and utter crapola! If it's a good event it gets funded, plain and simple.

Coppice Celebratory event
Sparks drama
Rhyddings Park fun days
Rhyddings Park bird box projects

Also - all lottery funded this year.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:32   #18
God Member

[quote=Gayle;735271]Think of all the local people that earn money from this

Marquee company
Toilet hire company
Stage management
Bands
Security

And who pays for it? The taxpayer.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51   #19
Super Moderator

[quote=Tealeaf;735361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Think of all the local people that earn money from this

Marquee company
Toilet hire company
Stage management
Bands
Security

Thought it was lottery funded?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:02   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
for one day hardly in perspective with olympics which is employing people for years. plus accy carnival has to raise money through accrington lions so why does this get lottery money
Well from what I can gather CS its employing plenty of people from foreign shores
Old 11-08-2009, 10:32   #21
Super Moderator

Apart from size, there's one significant difference between this Mela and the London Olympics. Nobody is forced to pay for the Mela - if you don't want to fund it, don't buy lottery tickets. There's plenty of other ways to blow your money. The 2012 Olympics, on the other hand, is soaking up ever-increasing billions of our hard-earned taxes at a time when we can least afford it. We have no choice in the matter, but to simply continue funding this grandiose, wasteful project with more and more taxes...that's the difference.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:56   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

ONLY IF THEY BUY A LOTTERY TICKET!!!!!!

As for whether the lottery fund the right things - take a look at their site and you'll see that they fund big and small projects all around the country and there's is no bias to any one sector (or ethnic group) of the community.

Old 11-08-2009, 14:36   #23
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Ok Gayle for next year drop the multicultural "mela" tag, drop the asian bands etc. and go back to what it used to be, a good open air concert. IMHO it was spoilt when when you HAD to add the multicultural tag to get funding and you know it.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 16:52   #24
God Member

No, you're wrong. The event used to be over two days - Mela on one day and indie local bands on the other. They were organised by two separate groups. One group stopped putting their event on the other group carried on. That was nothing to do with the Mela getting funding because it's for Asians and the other not, it was to do with effort - the other group stopped trying. So, the Mela then incorporated a bit of the other one so that it was more inclusive. Really you should be thanking the Mela group for not letting the other completely disappear.

Old 11-08-2009, 17:22   #25
Accy Red

I don't ever remember two days of music up Oakhill Park, but you're acting like a politician now by changing the thread. Please drop the Mela and all that goes with it and put all your effort and lottery skills into changing it back to how it use to be a music concert. But you know you wouldn't get the funding.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 11-08-2009, 21:04   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't ever remember two days of music up Oakhill Park, but you're acting like a politician now by changing the thread. Please drop the Mela and all that goes with it and put all your effort and lottery skills into changing it back to how it use to be a music concert. But you know you wouldn't get the funding.
Gayle, I am about to give you karma for all the prattish questions you get asked with regard to events such as this, and no matter how much you explain how they will be funded or other groups that are given lottery funding, some people only wish to keep a blinkered view and attempt to stir up hatreds against certain members of our society ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 21:09   #27
God Member

Quote:
How is that changing the subject? You want the event back to what it was - what it used to be was two days with the Mela on one day and the other music event on the other day.

I would get the funding - I have got the funding for other events but just because this one event is something you don't like, you seem to have a problem with it.

Old 11-08-2009, 21:22   #28
God Member

You have to remember that Gayle was the reason we got the funding for the stanley exhibition through the lottery.... queue the anti stanley or football brigade...there will always be things that people will not agree lottery funding to go into but as others have said ... if it bothers anyone that much just don't buy lottery tickets!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 22:28   #29
Accy Red

I'm well aware of Gayles involvement with the Stanley exhibition and well done but this isn't about that. Katex's post smacks of "Bagpuss the racist is at it again", well Kate you're wrong. Once again I will say it, no matter how you dress it up, a Mela is mainly for the asians, which means minority, much eaiser to get funding. Gayle you know all too well you had to add Mela or Community to the event because funding could not be found for a music concert.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:32   #30
Resting in Peace

Ok .. I apologise if my remarks came across that you were racist, but that's how you came across initially. All lottery applications come from some sort of group of which other people are not a part of, and criticism aimed at them for receiving funds. Let's face it even the Guides/Scouts are backed up by the Church.

I expect the lottery commission did look at the application for a Mela more favourably than they would a 'music concert' as, with lots of misunderstandings on both sides, is a step to bringing us together more.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..