Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 08:12   #31
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Mela

If that is the case Bagpuss why did the lottery fund a brass band concert in Rhyddings Park? There is no 'dressing up' to get the funding of any sort. If you try to 'dress it up' they see through it and it's more likely to be rejected. I apply for what is needed for when it is needed. On this occasion - working for Hyndburn Mela and Community Festival Association - I applied for funding for a mela and community festival. And a mela is a mela, you can't get away from the fact that people of all cultures come to it - we try to include something for everyone.

It's not some great con or conspiracy with the funding bodies - for example with the Arts Council, you ask for funding and as long as it's a well written bid that fits in with at least one of their six themes then it stands a good chance of getting the funding.

Equally - any of the other Big Lottery funders - as long as it's well written and is appropriate for whatever they're funding at the moment then you'll get it. For example the bird box project in Rhyddings Park. Over the past year we've had about £15k of lottery money to work with the schools in the area on a bird box project - we've installed designer bird boxes and we're produced a book and now we're running wednesday workshops. Not a hint of 'multicultualism' used in the funding application.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 12-08-2009 at 08:16.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2009, 10:27   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Apart from size, there's one significant difference between this Mela and the London Olympics....... The 2012 Olympics, on the other hand, is soaking up ever-increasing billions of our hard-earned taxes at a time when we can least afford it. We have no choice in the matter, but to simply continue funding this grandiose, wasteful project with more and more taxes...that's the difference.
Just out of interest, Wynonie, there was an opinion poll published some time ago which indicated more people from London were against the Olympics here in 2012 than in the rest of the country. Most of my mates here in the East End agree entirely with you although the language they use is somewhat more robust. If the money was to be spent on sport, then it should have been spent on facilities around the country instead of this wasteful exercise.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Just out of interest, Wynonie, there was an opinion poll published some time ago which indicated more people from London were against the Olympics here in 2012 than in the rest of the country. Most of my mates here in the East End agree entirely with you although the language they use is somewhat more robust. If the money was to be spent on sport, then it should have been spent on facilities around the country instead of this wasteful exercise.
Ah but thats common sense T, what do the general public know of such things? things like that are completly disregarded, cos "They" know better.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:10   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
And a mela is a mela
What is a mela?
I've looked on AskOxford: Free online dictionary resources from Oxford University Press which said: Sorry, there are no results for that search.
I've looked in Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press, which gave the reply:
Results
mela was not found in the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary.

It does mean apple in Italian though.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:56   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
What is a mela?
I've looked on AskOxford: Free online dictionary resources from Oxford University Press which said: Sorry, there are no results for that search.
I've looked in Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press, which gave the reply:
Results
mela was not found in the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary.

It does mean apple in Italian though.
WWW.EASTLONDON-MELA.COM check that out.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:40   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
WWW.EASTLONDON-MELA.COM check that out.
Mmmmmmmm. Much as Bagpuss said then, aimed at certain sections of the community and not as inclusive as some would like us to believe.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 13:04   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Reckon most people around the country are against it, apart from Tessa Jowell and Seb Coe.
Old 12-08-2009, 13:09   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Mmmmmmmm. Much as Bagpuss said then, aimed at certain sections of the community and not as inclusive as some would like us to believe.
Seem to be quite a lot of non-Asian people at last year's Accy one, if Kipax's photos are anything to go by.
Old 12-08-2009, 16:10   #39
God Member

Quote:

Mela means gathering - and I don't care one jot what other melas are like around the country because as far as I'm concerned the Hyndburn Mela is for everyone. I'm not what you seem to think the target market is and I love it. It's lively, fun and plenty going on for everyone.

And judging by the photos and my knowledge of the event, I'm not on my own. There isn't one particular sector of the community that come - unless you call 'people out to have a fun afternoon out' a certain sector of the community.

Old 12-08-2009, 16:15   #40
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Seem to be quite a lot of non-Asian people at last year's Accy one, if Kipax's photos are anything to go by.
Those photos have been through Photoshop

I had a walk up last time it was on to see what the money was being wasted on. Not surprisingly it wasn't my sort of thing but as you say it's up to the individual to make their own mind up, I just want the choice to attend a free music concert as it was or a Mela.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 16:42   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Those photos have been through Photoshop

I had a walk up last time it was on to see what the money was being wasted on. Not surprisingly it wasn't my sort of thing but as you say it's up to the individual to make their own mind up, I just want the choice to attend a free music concert as it was or a Mela.

Well I belong to Hyndburn Mela committee so naturally we're putting on a Mela. However, if you or anyone else, wants to set up a group to put a music festival on then I'd be happy to help.

Just so we're clear about this - these aren't council run OR council funded events, the Mela is organised by a community group with outside funding. The council supports us by providing some ground staff to help set things up, lend us some chairs and of course, give us the park for the day - but I'm pretty sure they'd do that for any group who wanted to use the bandstand, whatever sort of event they wanted to put on.

Old 13-08-2009, 09:19   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Mela means gathering - and I don't care one jot what other melas are like around the country because as far as I'm concerned the Hyndburn Mela is for everyone. I'm not what you seem to think the target market is and I love it. It's lively, fun and plenty going on for everyone.

And judging by the photos and my knowledge of the event, I'm not on my own. There isn't one particular sector of the community that come - unless you call 'people out to have a fun afternoon out' a certain sector of the community.
Take no notice Gayle you carry on
Old 13-08-2009, 19:59   #43
Senior Member+

Hyndburn Mela - the fabulous new band stand

Thursday and the band stand still not finished, but ......they are working really hard on it. I must say, its looking AMAZING, very much like the original one! Well done to the local firm who are involved in it.

atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oakhillpark13thjuly2009_2.jpg (289.7 KB, 26 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 20:14   #44
God Member

You were in at around 11.30 this morning taking the pics - I saw you.

I'm the person in the orange top holding a blue folder.

It will be finished in time - so they keep telling me. I'm only a teensy bit worried

Old 13-08-2009, 20:21   #45
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

If one or two of them got on with their work instead of watching the mums who are using the play area it would be finished by now.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..