Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 20:37   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Jekyll and Hyde.

Believe me, if you miss this show, you are gonna' be sorry.

Forget X-Factor finalists for a while and see a live performance on stage with leads that have singing voices that could compete with them at any time, backed by a great orchestra.

Amateur productions are getting better and better with lots of the cast that have had professional training.

Just a shame we have not a bigger stage at Ossy ... but does not negate away from the performance ... it's terrific, and believe me, having been involved for many years, am highly critical.

Go on .. drag yourselves away from your telly, and try a bit of live theatre.

jekyll dress rehearsal 010.jpgjekyll dress rehearsal 003.jpgjekyll dress rehearsal 005.jpgjekyll dress rehearsal 004.jpg

Hadn't even got to the bit where Jekyll turns to Hyde and commits gruesome murders ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2008, 20:39   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Forget X-Factor finalists for a while and see a live performance on stage with leads that have singing voices that could compete with them at any time, backed by a great orchestra.

Amateur productions are getting better and better with lots of the cast that have had professional training.

Just a shame we have not a bigger stage at Ossy ... but does not negate away from the performance ... it's terrific, and believe me, having been involved for many years, am highly critical.

Attachment 12968Attachment 12969Attachment 12970Attachment 12971

Hadn't even got to the bit where Jekyll turns to Hyde and commits gruesome murders ...
I love going to the theatre. I go quite a bit but I just don't fancy this one....sorry, Katex.
Old 09-11-2008, 20:49   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I love going to the theatre. I go quite a bit but I just don't fancy this one....sorry, Katex.
Well, I know you would enjoy it Lilly .. that's the problem, nobody knows it .. not the crowd pulling 'Sound of Music' 'My Fair Lady' .. I understand, but it has me mesmorised. Gotta' try all kinds Lilly, otherwise, will never extend your appreciation of musical theatre, and likes or dislikes. Like trying different foods I guess ....

Thanks for your post anyway, any post is appreciated. Really hard to sell this one.
Old 09-11-2008, 20:56   #19
God Member

Kate,

Not sure if you've done this or not already but perhaps post times and ticket prices.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 21:04   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Kate,

Not sure if you've done this or not already but perhaps post times and ticket prices.
Thanks Gayle, yes # 8 .. missed out the time though 7.30 p.m.

Hope you gonna' find the time to come .. sure you would give it a great crit...
Old 09-11-2008, 21:16   #21
God Member

Quote:
Well, I know you would enjoy it Lilly .. that's the problem, nobody knows it .. not the crowd pulling 'Sound of Music' 'My Fair Lady' .. I understand, but it has me mesmorised. Gotta' try all kinds Lilly, otherwise, will never extend your appreciation of musical theatre, and likes or dislikes. Like trying different foods I guess ....

Thanks for your post anyway, any post is appreciated. Really hard to sell this one.
I know it's harder to get people in to see the unknown shows than it is to get them in to see The Sound of Music.

Personally, it doesn't tend to put me off. If I fancy a show I'll go and see it whether it's well known or not.

One of the best laughs I had at the theatre was a show called 'Lysistrata' at the Bolton Octagon. Not many people seem to have heard of that show but I loved it.
Old 09-11-2008, 22:29   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
One of the best laughs I had at the theatre was a show called 'Lysistrata' at the Bolton Octagon. Not many people seem to have heard of that show but I loved it.
Ok .. so a play about women holding sex from their men agree is funny.

Still say, try it at least .. 2 tickets for the price of 2 Mon/Tues .. on yer' doorstep. Even if you don't enjoy, will have fun knocking it for months to come ...
Old 10-11-2008, 00:40   #23
Junior Member+

any one who can get down to this go and see it, all the actors are propper sound and after their rehearsal they all come in the pub where i work and make me actually do some work for once :P haha

You know I'm a dreamer
But my heart's of gold
I had to run away high
So I wouldn't come home low
dark side of lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:11   #24

I'll go and see it if I can convince someone to come along too. My missus isn't too bothered,

I assume it's too gruesome for a nine-year-old?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:28   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I'll go and see it if I can convince someone to come along too. My missus isn't too bothered,

I assume it's too gruesome for a nine-year-old?
No, not that gruesome Studio .. kids love a bit of gruesome, don't they. Might not be too suitable though, as not exactly Mary Poppins and some of the dialogue in music format, which they may not understand. Are ladies of the night in it too ... so again ..... you might have some explaining to do.
One of the numbers is quite sexually explicit too.

Don't wish to de-sell, but if it were a film, would definitely put a 15 rating on it.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:54   #26

Quote:
No, not that gruesome Studio .. kids love a bit of gruesome, don't they. Might not be too suitable though, as not exactly Mary Poppins and some of the dialogue in music format, which they may not understand. Are ladies of the night in it too ... so again ..... you might have some explaining to do.
One of the numbers is quite sexually explicit too.

Don't wish to de-sell, but if it were a film, would definitely put a 15 rating on it.
He watches Gordon Ramsey. (Bad Parent Alert)

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:03   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Attachment 12968Attachment 12969Attachment 12970Attachment 12971

I can remember when the stage in Civc Theatre was even smaller kate, but that was many moons ago
Old 11-11-2008, 00:06   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

would have give it a whirl, but got 2 concerts booked already fer this month, 1 at the civic, not n excuse, fact, aint rockerfella.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:36   #29
God Member

I'll be going tonight so I'll give you all a report when I get back.

Hope opening night went ok.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:34   #30
God Member

A review of Jekyll and Hide

I’ll admit I went to see last night’s show mostly because I felt obliged to! I’m trying to get more people in general to go to shows at the Civic theatre and I felt that if I didn’t go and see this one I’d be a hypocrite!

I’m glad I did too. This show was professional, creative, spectacular and most of all, well acted – I was impressed.

Howard Raw chose a show that challenged the audience – it was violent, raunchy and at times almost uncomfortable to watch but that was part of its brilliance. I’m all for challenging the audience! Just because you’ve paid your money and sat down with a bag of sweets for a night out with your friends, doesn’t mean that you should be allowed to switch off.

The story, just in case anyone doesn’t know it, is relatively straight forward – Dr Jekyll wants to experiment with the ‘evil’ DNA in people and extract it so that everyone will be ‘good’. He can’t find a suitable subject so starts to experiment on himself. His ‘evil’ persona Mr Hide starts to take over and starts to kill people. One could ask though, is Mr Hide the ‘good’ side as he is trying to rid the world of all the other evil people?

There was a lot that I loved about the show – the big chorus numbers were extremely well choreographed, the only unfortunate thing was that the stage seemed too small at times. The transition between scenes really creatively done so that there was no pause or delay. Lighting was clever and evocative, I know that the lighting was professionally hired and that doesn’t always mean quality but this time it certainly did.

A few hiccups with sound but that’s just me nitpicking, it didn’t detract from the overall presentation.

The main thing that I loved though was that the acting and singing was superb – a very talented cast. Peter Norris as Jekyll/Hide blew me away with his acting particularly during the ‘confrontation’ scene when he switches backwards and forwards between Jekyll and Hide. The two ladies who Jekyll and Hide love were also excellent, with strong voices that worked well separately but also well together in harmony. The supporting cast were also strong with no weak links amongst them.

If you were hesitating about whether you should go or not – stop pfaffing around and get your ticket now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..