Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2005, 15:34   #16
God Member

Re: Oliver!

Yes, I was the culprit! What I basically said was that kids and light opera were not a good combination. Teenagers are too self conscious to play love scenes and they don't have the range that adults would for that style of music. I criticised the committee for selecting the show not the performances because on all accounts I said that the kids did very well with the material. They took offence because I dared to suggest that the committee could possibly have made the wrong choice.

In the past I had given them brilliant reviews, in fact, the year before the 'bad' one was a fantastic show - Oklahoma and the performers were really really good. In my defence I have to say that you can not give a fair review if you are only allowed to give good ones because how would you know if it really was good. Reviews have to be trustworthy and truthful and unfortunately they took offence because of that. I stand by every word I said about it!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2005, 17:16   #17
Resting in Peace

Remember these Gayle, and always seemed fairly reasonable to me .. just seems a shame that they (we) are cutting off their noses to spite their face like. Accy Observer has always been very generous with the Amateurs, but this cannot help. OK, so this year they are getting bums on seats due to the popularity of the show and the 'kids' imput ... you know, grans, uncles, mums, dads, etc., however may not be the same next year. A strong remark in the Observer though, not sure if really necessary, unless just to stop people writing in to ask why no review ?? Possible could see some letters to the Editor next week on this one .. I await my next edition with interest.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2005, 21:53   #18

Hi Katex,
What the Observer puts in for the Theatre Group is very little considering the amount of enjoyment it gives to the general public, I am sure if they had a decent Theatre with all mod cons and profesional performers it would be fair to do a crit to fit.All I can say sometimes its a good job the report only comes out on Friday, which really does no good at all when they have got to the last 2 nights, its help they need these days not bad crits.
jancat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2005, 22:29   #19
Resting in Peace

Don't think you are grasping my point here jancat ... the Amateurs have always requested a report on their shows, for the obvious reasons of publicity. Sure we have not got the funding or the professional players to warrant a professional crit., (and don't always get it, as per my remarks in#15) however, for some reason we do ask to be treated as such!! double standards maybe. No point in saying to the Observer, well you can have tickets to the show, but only if we have lovely things said about us, which may not be the case. A theatre crit. is just such, subject to criticism or adulation. It is what makes us improve in the future. Although just a hobby .. good to get better don't you think ?
Like you say, 'tis not going to make much difference 2 days before closing, in fact, our crit for Touched was 2 weeks later !!
The help the Amateurs need is people to help with backstage duties, make-up, lighting, even performers are thin on the ground these days 'cause the courses offered in arts at Colleges these days are numerous, and they are not encouraged to partake in Amateur performances.
Thank you for for your support anyway
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 09:04   #20
God Member

In defense of the Accy Obs - they do print most press releases that are sent to them. All you need is to send them regular stories about what's going on (and not just in the last few weeks of rehearsals before a show). Keep them informed and they'll respond. Same works for the Telegraph as well. The more stuff you send them the more stuff they're likely to 'report' about you.

Ossy Players send press releases every week during rehearsals and at least every three or four weeks in between. They very, very rarely ever come to us for a story, we always go to them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..