Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 17:21   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Open Minds Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

Still, I suppose the final offering for next week just about sums it all up..."Off Her Trolley". A fine description of this wasteful exercise.
How impossible are you ...

Did you read the synopsis ?:-

Off Her Trolley
Friday 19th June (7.30pm)
Written and performed by
Eleanor Bennet - Civic Theatre,
Union Road, Oswaldtwistle BB5 3HZ
This funny combination of stand up, character and song
explores the experience of ageing and senstively illustrates
the difficulties posed by the onset of Alzheimer’s disease
both for the individual and their carers. Off her Trolley
challenges the ways in which elderly people are perceived
by the wider community and skilfully illustrates the
‘common ground’ between those that have and those that
do not have Alzheimer’s disease.
Despite the seriousness of the issues that this one
woman show contains it is an entertaining and uplifting
show, created to make people laugh and well as
encourage reflection.
Off her Trolley was nominated for the Amnesty
International / The Big Issue Freedom of Expression
Award at the 2008 Edinburgh Fringe and one 'Best
Performance' / 'Best Show' in the Act Provocateur Solo
Festival.

Suppose men are not afflicted with Alzheimers are they ....

At least Gayle, he is bumping the thread up and may even help to put more bums on seats ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2009, 17:34   #32
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
June 15th - 21st
Pennine Lancashire's first Open Minds Festival to be held in Hyndburn.

A week of thought provoking and entertaining events.

Key events

An afternoon in the company of Inspirational women.
Accrington Town Hall, 1.30pm, 16th June
Speakers are now confirmed:
Germaine Greer
Sally Naden - BBC Radio Lancashire presenter
Kathy Reade - Chair of NHS East Lancashire

Three very interesting speakers, and a great afternoon for just £12.
Includes tea and scones.

Tea with Mrs Pankhurst
A wry and engaging look at the suffragette movement from the perspective of two lancashire women.
Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre
Wednesday 17th June, 7.30pm
Tickets £2.50

Off Her Trolley
Award nominated Edinburgh Fringe show. A blend of comedy, stand up and song which takes a look at the experiences of aging.
Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre
Friday 19th June, 7.30pm
Tickets £2.50

Tickets are available from Accrington Town Hall or from me.
As usual you're aim is towards women, if I had the equivalent job as a man I would be accused of bias & sexism, and no doubt several other 'ism's'. I might attend one day when you give us blokes equality, men also get the odd raw deal, until then I hope the level headed women give you a wide birth!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 17:44   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I might attend one day when you give us blokes equality, men also get the odd raw deal, until then I hope the level headed women give you a wide birth!

I blame the W. I.

Would hate to be level headed ... sounds boring ...
Old 12-06-2009, 17:45   #34
God Member

Quote:
As usual you're aim is towards women, if I had the equivalent job as a man I would be accused of bias & sexism, and no doubt several other 'ism's'. I might attend one day when you give us blokes equality, men also get the odd raw deal, until then I hope the level headed women give you a wide birth!
I organise a lot of events throughout the year - there is no 'as usual' about it.

Brass band concert in rhyddings Park
Mowgli Stories in Memorial Park - July 4th
Sparks stuff - throughout the summer for young people
Dying Matters - a play on at Ossy Civic in October
Brass band concert in Oakhill Park
Mela in Oakhill Park
All the Pennine Lancs Food Festival stuff in August
Dance festival in late July
Children's theatre festival coming up in late Sept

There is no sexism or bias at all - the Open Minds Festival is organised on behalf of Hyndburn WOMEN's Forum - so naturally for those few events they would be most likely to appeal to women!!!! But are you trying to say that ALL the events listed above are usually for women?

But you know what - if you don't want to come to any of the events that I organise, simply because you think there might be too many women there, then I won't lose any sleep over it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 17:53   #35

Quote:
I organise a lot of events throughout the year - there is no 'as usual' about it.

Mowgli Stories in Memorial Park - July 4th
Sparks stuff - throughout the summer for young people
Dying Matters - a play on at Ossy Civic in October
Brass band concert in Oakhill Park
Mela in Oakhill Park
All the Pennine Lancs Food Festival stuff in August
Dance festival in late July
Children's theatre festival coming up in late Sept

There is no sexism or bias at all - the Open Minds Festival is organised on behalf of Hyndburn WOMEN's Forum - so naturally for those few events they would be most likely to appeal to women!!!! But are you trying to say that ALL the events listed above are usually for women?

But you know what - if you don't want to come to any of the events that I organise, simply because you think there might be too many women there, then I won't lose any sleep over it.
I like 'normal' women, not the sort that always claim they've been badly done to that you make your middle class living from.
Old 12-06-2009, 17:57   #36
God Member

Quote:
I like 'normal' women, not the sort that always claim they've been badly done to that you make your middle class living from.
I don't even understand what this insult means but I'm fairly sure it's supposed to be an insult.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 18:41   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't even understand what this insult means but I'm fairly sure it's supposed to be an insult.
Pretty sure it was Gayle. I would like to know Less's definition of 'normal' women.

I suspect he likes them balled and chained, tied to the sink, wearing pinnies, bringing up an army of children brought about by laying back and thinking of England. Waiting for a housekeeping allowance every Friday night, and not grumbling whilst he goes out for a pint every lunch with his mates. Any intelligent thoughts or ideas would be banned from the family home ... oh, and please have my slippers ready for when I get home.

The thought of women that have striven to give us a better deal in life and, God forbid, a successful career is abhorrent to him obviously !!!... worst still that their successes should be displayed on a public stage for other women to see. And Gayle, you are not allowed to make a living wage from organising such events !!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 21:23   #38
God Member

I'm with Tealeaf, nothing but a bunch of Guardian reading misandrists. All they need now is Jo Brand and the coven's complete.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 08:42   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Pretty sure it was Gayle. I would like to know Less's definition of 'normal' women.

I suspect he likes them balled and chained, tied to the sink, wearing pinnies, bringing up an army of children brought about by laying back and thinking of England. Waiting for a housekeeping allowance every Friday night, and not grumbling whilst he goes out for a pint every lunch with his mates. Any intelligent thoughts or ideas would be banned from the family home ... oh, and please have my slippers ready for when I get home.

The thought of women that have striven to give us a better deal in life and, God forbid, a successful career is abhorrent to him obviously !!!... worst still that their successes should be displayed on a public stage for other women to see. And Gayle, you are not allowed to make a living wage from organising such events !!!!
A normal woman kate, is one who has the tea ont table when you come home from the pub
Old 13-06-2009, 09:04   #40
God Member

I think that it is interesting to note than neither Less nor Jaysay have a live-in, loving companion in their later life.

PS - well neither have I - but I am an EX Stepford wife

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 09:58   #41

Quote:

Strange as it might seem Gayle I actually went to that one with some of my Grandchildren, I met a very charming man there called Tealeaf, you walked passed us at least twice huddled inside your Anorak, we would have said hello but you looked down enough without us adding to your misery.
WE only stayed until my Granddaughters lips turned a dark shade of blue with the cold, but, please don't think I hold that against you even with your multitude of talents I don't think you have yet perfected controlling the weather.
I did notice however at one stage the amount of Police & community wardens was greater than the crowd for a while.
Old 13-06-2009, 10:01   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A normal woman kate, is one who has the tea ont table when you come home from the pub
It's simpler than that, Jaysay...a normal woman is one who does what she's told.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 10:15   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well, that definitely excludes me from the 'normal' woman category Jaysay, have been known to plonk my x's tea on the pub bar on more than one occasion (with a few added ingredients) ..
Old 13-06-2009, 10:38   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well, that definitely excludes me from the 'normal' woman category Jaysay, have been known to plonk my x's tea on the pub bar on more than one occasion (with a few added ingredients) ..
And there was me thinking you were a la dee kate, think the clue must be in the fact your a fiery redhead
Old 16-06-2009, 15:45   #45
God Member

I thought it was a bit quiet on here & I've just realised why....all the resident troublemakers are over at t'townhall having their heads filled with twelve quids worth of useless garbage spouted by the mad professor. I wonder if any of 'em have had the common sense to walk out? I doubt it somehow. Needless to say we shall all be in line for a full report later on this evening,(if they've not been sharing too many whiskeys).

Last edited by Tealeaf; 16-06-2009 at 15:48.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..