Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2009, 16:46   #46
God Member

Re: Open Minds Festival

A very entertaining afternoon - glad you mysogenists didn't attend.
Germaine Greer even mentioned Accrington Web- she had read this thread

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2009, 17:46   #47
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
A very entertaining afternoon - glad you mysogenists didn't attend.
Germaine Greer even mentioned Accrington Web- she had read this thread
Did she mention that most browsers now have spell checkers?

When you learn a new word such as misogynist sometimes it good to look it up in a Dictionary.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 17:59   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

When you learn a new word such as misogynist sometimes it good to look it up in a Dictionary.
A mental blank due to a total distaste for what it implies
...you misogynists loved your mother.....or did you?

Old 16-06-2009, 20:43   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Yer pathetic sometimes Less... seems like you missed a word out above, and don't think dictionary in this context requires a capital letter ..
Actually, my spell checker has disappeared and although properties show it is activated ... isn't. May need the advice of your superior brain later ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I thought it was a bit quiet on here & I've just realised why....all the resident troublemakers are over at t'townhall having their heads filled with twelve quids worth of useless garbage spouted by the mad professor. I wonder if any of 'em have had the common sense to walk out? I doubt it somehow. Needless to say we shall all be in line for a full report later on this evening,(if they've not been sharing too many whiskeys).
Don't know many ladies who drink whisky .. certainly not me.

I enjoyed the afternoon very much, and the three speakers were very varied, with no heavy feminism at all.

Sally Nadem told us how she progressed from stage school at 12 to where she is now, taking us through anecdotes which included personalities such as Tommy Cooper, Eric Morecambe, Jim Bowen and many more. Her experience as a Tiller Girl, and the fire at Summerland in the Isle of Man in which 53 people died, and she had a lucky escape. She then described her experience with breast cancer and the reconstruction to give her a normal appearance again .. except her nipple was a little off colour. (No we didn't get a viewing).

Kathy Reade (a lady with a dry sense of humour) .. did start to tell us women that we should not be influenced by our image, and if we didn't wish to pluck our eyebrows then so what ! The irony was that her first sentence was in the form of an apology for her putting on weight in the last year from a size 12 >> 18 ! Bit hypocritical I thought. She gave us some amusing stories when she worked as a Social Worker in Moss Side, but her message at the end of the day, was that you have got to believe in yourself and go out to do whatever you wish to do.

Germaine Greer .. the true professional, gave us an outside view of our town and how regeneration of our town could be looked at in an entirely different way to preserve our surroundings rather than pull them down to replace with red brick buildings and marble seats. Perhaps we could make use of some of our past industries like dyeing (not viable really as no weaving industry to support). Praised Accrington Stanley, and how it should not be let go, and annoyed that other big clubs were not generous enough to give to struggling teams. Lots more, but she had certainly done her research on our town.

Brief I know, but if there is anything else you wish to know Tealeaf, will only be too happy to oblige ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 21:02   #50
God Member

I'm glad that the women (I got told off by Kathy for calling us 'ladies' ) enjoyed themselves. Sorry Margaret, I'd forgotten you were coming, you should have said hello.

Sally was great fun, her life has been a real rollercoaster and she's such a warm friendly speaker. Kathy, is also fun, but as Katie said, more dry humour but to end it with a song was so good. As for Germaine, a great professional and very knowledgeable, and thought provoking.

I know that the whole concept of the event was a little bit different and perhaps not what people would expect, but what the heck. The women there seemed to find it interesting and I'd like to do more - any suggestions for the speakers for the next one?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 07:29   #51

Quote:
A mental blank due to a total distaste for what it implies
...you misogynists loved your mother.....or did you?
This 'alleged' misogynist did, Oh, also my Father, wife & two Children, various other siblings as well.
So what does that mean according to your logic?
Old 17-06-2009, 07:35   #52
God Member

Quote:
This 'alleged' misogynist did, Oh, also my Father, wife & two Children, various other siblings as well.
So what does that mean according to your logic?
That you are a 'part timer'

Old 17-06-2009, 07:53   #53

Quote:
That you are a 'part timer'
Wrong, full time, but only against certain types of women.

Old 17-06-2009, 12:10   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The women there seemed to find it interesting and I'd like to do more - any suggestions for the speakers for the next one?
What about Bernard Manning? Yeah, I know he's dead but I'm sure if you dug him up for next time and propped him up him in front of you lot he would still be more interesting than yesterday's codswallop.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 16:09   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What about Bernard Manning? Yeah, I know he's dead but I'm sure if you dug him up for next time and propped him up him in front of you lot he would still be more interesting than yesterday's codswallop.
Very entertaining was our Benard Tealeaf, he had a way with words
Old 18-06-2009, 00:23   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
he had a way with words

...yeah, but not many ones attempting to be funny about lard arsed Mancunian comedians who lived with their mummy.

Odd that.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 07:49   #57

Sorry Gary.......was Bernard fat? and a mancunian? Poor sod, didn't have much going for him then
Old 18-06-2009, 08:06   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
Sorry Gary.......was Bernard fat? and a mancunian? Poor sod, didn't have much going for him then
Fat's all relative, but he wasn't exactly small.

In later years he featured in quite a few documentaries in which he wandered around in just his underpants.
Since I've only just had my breakfast, I couldn't face searching for one of those photographs to illustrate my point.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 09:06   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Fat's all relative, but he wasn't exactly small.

In later years he featured in quite a few documentaries in which he wandered around in just his underpants.
Since I've only just had my breakfast, I couldn't face searching for one of those photographs to illustrate my point.

Well its halfway between breaky and lunch Rindi have another try
Old 18-06-2009, 10:22   #60
God Member

Why does Garinda watch documentaries of men wondering around in their underpants? Is there a psycological term for this condition?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..