Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2008, 18:22   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Places to eat or not to eat.

I just dont think the place looks right though!...Still looks like a club thats been done out as an indian! The red lighting effect is ghastly! I cant comment on the food, because we did'nt have any. We called in a couple of Saturdays ago, early evening about 7.30. Not many in, but did'nt really think there would be at that time. We sat in the Bar area, but nobody came to us. Another couple came in to have a look around, so we did the same and went into the dinning area, but just did,nt like the look of the place, very impersonal and not at all relaxing. We had a look at what was on offer, an the waiter did say if we would like something different, the chef would try to accomodate. But we just did not like the feel of the place at all, bit like a school or works canteen feel about it really, with bits of curry slopped over the sides of the bain maries, and that strange lighting!! We just did'nt want to eat there by the time we had looked, so we left and went to the Mitalli again instead!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2008, 07:26   #122
Resting in Peace

Really fancy trying the on at West End (Mongolian I think) but ages since any posts on it and just wondering if it still nice or has it changed. Believe it could be on the pricey side but not found any info on that LOL
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 07:38   #123
mez
God Member

we went the other month bern it was delicious around £12 for a buffet ask katex she liked it too.
Old 24-07-2008, 08:57   #124
God Member

Julie and I like the mongolian

The food is good value as you literally each as much as you like

The wine is so so price wise but soft drinks and beer are a bit expensive.

All in if you are looking for somewhere for a full night of enjoyment it is brill, if you want to eat and run then maybe not so.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 12:38   #125
Senior Member+

Lucy, the owner is very nice and friendly. I think the quality of the food is ok, but certainly nothing special. Its not much different to a chinese really apart from the buffet element. I was a bit surprised to find that all the meats are precooked though, and just "Woked" for a second time when you've chosed which you want.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 03-07-2009, 22:41   #126
Resting in Peace

Sorry to necropost ... tee hee.

Got this from The Herald .... The Kingfisher which is just through the Barden Mill car park. Overlooks the canal marina, and as the report stated is a little gem. They have a balcony around the cafe where you have lovely views, and the food is lovely. Went with a friend on Tuesday and had their speciality of cheese and onion pie, which was presented in one of those brown oval dishes with a small crust on top served with lovely chunky chips and salad. Yummee. The staff are lovely and accommodating.

Great lunch time eating. Course is better if the sun is shining and you can eat on the balcony. Here are the views as you eat:

The Kingfisher 001.jpgThe Kingfisher 002.jpgThe Kingfisher 003.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02   #127
Senior Member+

Well my recommendation would be for two places, firstly the Calfs Head at Worston, I've lost count how many times I've been and I've never had a bad meal. We have nearly all our family celebration meals there. The staff are really friendly too

The second is my personal favourite, The Villa Italian restaurant, Clitheroe. This is owned and run by the fella that used to own papa luigis on church street (when it was very good, not when it changed hands), he has even kept the original chef too. It is situated on the main road into clitheroe from the A49. It is a stone built townhouse style builing with parking at the back. Its decorated like an italian villa but there is something different too, the bar is downstairs and appears to bea cave carved out of the stone foundations!! To the rear of the building behind the bar is a stone terrace with fountains and places to sit out in good weather, with a large stone stair case leading down to the car park. It is a truely beautiful place to eat and the staff are really friendly. Although it isn't particularly cheap it isn't expensive for the quality of food and the eating experiance as a whole. You do need to ring and book at weekends too as it does get very busy.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 20:47   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
Well my recommendation would be for two places, firstly the Calfs Head at Worston, I've lost count how many times I've been and I've never had a bad meal. We have nearly all our family celebration meals there. The staff are really friendly too

The second is my personal favourite, The Villa Italian restaurant, Clitheroe. This is owned and run by the fella that used to own papa luigis on church street (when it was very good, not when it changed hands), he has even kept the original chef too. It is situated on the main road into clitheroe from the A49. It is a stone built townhouse style builing with parking at the back. Its decorated like an italian villa but there is something different too, the bar is downstairs and appears to bea cave carved out of the stone foundations!! To the rear of the building behind the bar is a stone terrace with fountains and places to sit out in good weather, with a large stone stair case leading down to the car park. It is a truely beautiful place to eat and the staff are really friendly. Although it isn't particularly cheap it isn't expensive for the quality of food and the eating experiance as a whole. You do need to ring and book at weekends too as it does get very busy.
went Calfs head this afternoon and the lancashire hotpot was one of the best things ive had when eating out in a long time.great place,fab food
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:19   #129
Senior Member+

I havn't been the Calf's Head in years, might give it a try soon, cant recall if its flat to get in or not with a Wheelchair.?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-07-2009, 18:26   #130
Senior Member+

do you know I've never noticed. How bad is that?!!! I think it has a small step at the front door. Might want to ring and check first
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 10:44   #131

i like the cafe i went to in accy which is ossp the market the cafe called is moring which have waiteres service you have you meal then pay i recomed you try it
new accy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 21:04   #132

Went for a meal to Checco's the other night. Really good atmosphere, brilliant service and lovely food. Can highly recommend it.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 21:20   #133
God Member

I know that this is an "if", but it is possible: if you are ever lucky enough to be in the beautiful City of Kingston, situated on Lake Ontario at the beginning of the St. Lawrence River with a view of the Thousand Islands, try Chez Piggy ... known locally as "the pig". Situated on lower Princess St., minutes from the lake, this restaurant was started about thirty years ago by the late Zal Yanovsky in a rennovated limestone stable. Some of you might remember Zal as the bass guitarist in the "Loving Spoonful". Try the "Mussels Provencal" for only $16.00 .... if you have a little more cash: "Moroccan Rack of Lamb with Charmoula" .... fantastic! But a little more pricy at $34.00.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 00:34   #134
God Member

Oh, and next door to the pig is the Toucan pub .... many English and Canadian beers on tap ... and great pub grub too; live music featuring local artists on most nights.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 17:41   #135
Full Member+

Sounds brilliant Eric, what time's the last bus to Morecambe?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..