Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 13:15   #1

The Full Monty.

(I dont know if there is a thread about this already, but I cant find one. Appologies if there is.)

The Full Monty - Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre.

Did anyone go to this fantastic show? Seen The Full Monty Musical across the North West a few times now and have to say, what a show!. Thought the Accrington Theatre Group did a great job, did anyone else see it? I believe it was a sell out 5 out of 6 nights it was on, anyone who hasnt seen The Full Monty Musical, I'd definantely recommend seeing it!

9/10.
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2006, 14:28   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: The Full Monty.

Ah yes, Morgan bros., but the question is on everybody's lips. Did they or didn't they ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 14:34   #3
Resident Waffler

I didn't see it but someone who went said they did but with hats.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 14:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Ah yes, Morgan bros., but the question is on everybody's lips. Did they or didn't they ?
They did lol. The hats were removed right at the end, but flooder lights were shot out into the audience to reduce visability.. You could still see though lol.
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 15:10   #5
Resting in Peace

Oh, ****** could have helped 'em out in the dressing room ... would have been more of 'an undresser' than 'a dresser' though I suppose .. missed me chance again ..
Old 13-11-2006, 08:04   #6
mez
God Member

i went the first night ...yes they do it was a very good show my mates & i enjoyed it very much . was worth going to see.
Old 17-01-2007, 20:35   #7
Junior Member+

i was helping as part of the society and i know all the actors..it took some guts to do that..im in buddies (the youth division of accrington theatre group) its an amazing show and you should all come and see Honk in march..further details published on a later date..
likklenats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 21:17   #8
Foreign Correspondent

That's one of the shows that I really don't care to perform in.

Then again, when we first opened our community theatre, we were pretty primitive, without separate dressing rooms for men and women. You just faced the wall and changed and folks gace you the courtesy of looking the other way. One of my good friends, a lady who had been in movies before marrying and starting a family, penned this fairly immortal bit of graffiti on the theatre wall, "Never have I stood so close to so much and gotten so little!"

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 21:29   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz View Post
They did lol. The hats were removed right at the end, but flooder lights were shot out into the audience to reduce visability.. You could still see though lol.
Seems those floodlights almost cost the show to making any money at all .. what the hell, eh? just good fun at the end of the day.

Sorry, Billcat, but you Yanks have still a long way to catch up with our theatre expertise ... helped out in a Virginian school society when I was there ... great fun must admit ..asked what I wanted to do .. said I would be the callboy ... 'course they never heard of it, !! so said callgirl, puzzlement abounded. Had a great time though.
Old 17-01-2007, 21:57   #10
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
. helped out in a Virginian school society when I was there ... great fun must admit ..asked what I wanted to do .. said I would be the callboy ... 'course they never heard of it, !! so said callgirl, puzzlement abounded. Had a great time though.
Hi Katex! Hope all is well with you.

I've seen great theatre on both sides of the Atlantic, so I think that Americans can learn things from the English - and vice versa. Am happy to admit that the "Dick Whittington" panto I saw in Blackpool during my vacation was funny, lively and altogether wonderful.

As far as "callboy" goes, it's probably just a difference in terminology - as are many of the things that developed after our countries parted ways. Does a callboy make sure the actors are prepared to go onstage by letting them know the time to curtain, etc.? Is so, that job might fall to a stage manager or assistant stage manager over here. If not, would you let me know what the job entails?

I beleive that the most common definition of "callgirl" is in use on both sides of the ocean!

Old 17-01-2007, 22:09   #11
Resting in Peace

Hi back darling Billcat, well you have nearly got it correct. Stage Manager, of course, would certainly let the cast know that the curtain is ready to go up (or pulled in smaller theatres), but the Callboy's job is to let each actor know 'during the course of a show' when their 'cue is due' so they don't miss it.
Extremely responsible job I can assure you.

As for call girl (was just trying to make a joke of it you understand) .. they did looked at me rather strangely, and didn't quite get the humour. Think I should have said in a more PC way .. Call person...

Glad you enjoyed the panto .. nowt like it is there ?

Last edited by katex; 17-01-2007 at 22:12.
Old 18-01-2007, 15:48   #12
Junior Member+

yeh..before you slag the show and the actors off just remember im in the theatre group so be careful with what you all say..
likklenats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 16:27   #13

Angry Re: The Full Monty.

dont be dissing this show!! it was well ace!! and not just because i saw a lovely man with no clothes on!! lol! but it was good, and you cant have a go for the american accents, THERE NOT AMERICANS!! they cant help that!!
laurenx
laurenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 17:52   #14
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Hi back darling Billcat, well you have nearly got it correct. Stage Manager, of course, would certainly let the cast know that the curtain is ready to go up (or pulled in smaller theatres), but the Callboy's job is to let each actor know 'during the course of a show' when their 'cue is due' so they don't miss it.
Extremely responsible job I can assure you.

As for call girl (was just trying to make a joke of it you understand) .. they did looked at me rather strangely, and didn't quite get the humour. Think I should have said in a more PC way .. Call person...

Glad you enjoyed the panto .. nowt like it is there ?
Hello to you as well, katex. With the Lancs weather I've been hearing about today, must be a cold view toward the water!

Nope, nothing here like a panto, nor anything like the old Player's Theatre music hall shows I used to attend in London. It's a lot of fun to attend new types of shows.

Okay, understand the callboy job. Yes, it would be a very responsible job, especially in shows with a large cast. Never worked with one, as the groups I work with handle it a bit differently. Virtually all of the groups I have worked with have intercom systems that serve the green room and the dressing rooms, and actors are expected to keep track of their upcoming entrance cues. Seems to work very well, as I can't recall anyone having to improvise to cover for a missing actor (save for an outdoor production of Henry V in 1974, where we did not have intercoms and Pistol fell asleep in the woods! Some very interesting "Shakespearean" improv by Fluellen, until Henry covered by entering early for the next scene.).

Of course, in shows with a large number of children - "Annie" and "Oliver" come to mind - someone is often assigned to manage the kids. Even then, it's not so much a matter of them being unready for their entrances, but being a bit too ready and underfoot as a result.

I've another blocking rehearsal for "Forum" tonight! Can't wait until we get through the early stages of rehearsal and get to work on really running the scenes.

I understood the humor of "callgirl," but humor doesn't always play the same in the US as in the UK. In the UK, wordplay gets better results than over here, as do humorous references to sex (and the various "naughty bits" of human anatomy). For example, the play, "No Sex Please, We're British" managed a run of almost a decade in London, but closed on Broadway is less than a month. Perhaps it could be attributed to a somewhat more repressed or puritanical attitude over here. Just, well, different!

Old 18-01-2007, 18:21   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat View Post

Of course, in shows with a large number of children - "Annie" and "Oliver" come to mind - someone is often assigned to manage the kids. Even then, it's not so much a matter of them being unready for their entrances, but being a bit too ready and underfoot as a result.

I've another blocking rehearsal for "Forum" tonight! Can't wait until we get through the early stages of rehearsal and get to work on really running the scenes.
Actually was 'The Little Prince' and the cast were kids from 8 >>> 16 and, yes, was a little trouble keeping them out of the wings 'til they were due on stage, but mainly getting them out of the dressing room and stop them from wandering around outside the theatre area was the biggest headache.

Was in a Panto put on by my local youth group many moons hence .. I was playing the principal girl (of course ... ). One of my lines was "Here comes the Prince" ... 'course the bloody prince didn't appear did he !! so had to adlib until he had decided to finish his sneaky fag outside the building .. was furious I can tell ya' !! Could have done with a callboy then.

Blocking: this is when a director maps out his moves in a play, is this what you mean? Find lots of our directors here in the Amateur Theatre do not do this prior to rehearsal, and only sort out the moves as each rehearsal progresses, not the best of ways, as some very bad postions result ... like standing in one line for instance ....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..