Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 18:57   #1
God Member

Whats happened to the Mela?

Well, it's that time of year when Gayle usually pops up on here with an advertisement for a waste of taxpayers money and an exercise in cultural apartheid, a.k.a the Accy Mela.

So far, we've heard nowt. Do I take it therefore, that this nonsense has finally been stopped? If so, all I can say is Rejoice! Rejoice!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2010, 19:04   #2

Re: Whats happened to the Mela?

Saw a sign for this years at Oak Hill Park gates today. Thought it said this saturday but didn't stop to check it out.

However they are going to have to manage on a £6000 budget this year as it has been slashed in half by Government Cuts.

I suggest that they don't hire any sound equipment or speakers this year and then we will all get a bit of peace
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 19:08   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Well, it's that time of year when Gayle usually pops up on here with an advertisement for a waste of taxpayers money and an exercise in cultural apartheid, a.k.a the Accy Mela.

So far, we've heard nowt. Do I take it therefore, that this nonsense has finally been stopped? If so, all I can say is Rejoice! Rejoice!
Gayle's a busy Lass these days Tealeaf, but I'm sure she will let you know so you don't miss it
Old 03-08-2010, 19:12   #4
God Member

Oh no...I thought it was to good to be true. And I'm back up there this weekend...or at least that was the plan. I just hope it does not throw it down and it's relocated to the Sports Centre in Church...that was a nightmare a year or two ago.

Moderators - Please close this thread down now! Do not give any unneccessary publicity to this 'event'!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 19:15   #5
Beacon of light

No, I am sure there was an article in the lancashire Telegraph that it was going to be on again this year.
Not something I would attend.......not keen on loud music and ethnic food....must be my age or something.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 21:50   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, I am sure there was an article in the lancashire Telegraph that it was going to be on again this year.
Not something I would attend.......not keen on loud music and ethnic food....must be my age or something.
or perhaps it is cos its crap n yer to diplomatic to say, but i aint.
Old 03-08-2010, 21:54   #7
God Member

It's this Saturday

Hyndburn Mela budget slashed (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 04-08-2010, 00:06   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Pray for rain.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:07   #9
Resting in Peace

May I just say that you are really mean Tealeaf. I went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, was a good mix of (what to me) was alternative music linked with a friendly atmosphere.

I wouldn't attend any Rock Concerts, but certainly wouldn't pray for it to be stopped or to rain on the day, just because it would just be painful to my ears.

Like the T.V. there is an 'off button' ... just don't go.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:17   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
or perhaps it is cos its crap n yer to diplomatic to say, but i aint.
I think that you know me too well Cashy .

And yes Kate you are right.......you don't have to go(thank goodness)...but I do feel for the folk who live close to the venue....their off button has been 'disabled'.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29   #11
Resting in Peace

Oak Hill Park is not set in a heavy residential area and even the houses surrounding the venue are not that close.

I think its great to have some sort of activity these days to liven up the town. There should be more in the way of varying concerts using our new band stand throughout the summer.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41   #12
Resting in Peace

Anyway, it was people living near the park that campaigned for the band stand to be rebuilt, so presume they did wish that it be used for various concerts.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45   #13
Beacon of light

Kate.....I am quite a good distance from All Saints School, but when they had an open day I could hear it quite plainly....same for the Lark in the park...I could hear that too.......so I certainly wouldn't want to be living in the houses in Manchester Road, Hollins Lane or the vicinity....and there is a vast difference between band music and Bhangra/disco/alternative stuff.
If I lived there I would have to take myself out for the day....to Southport!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:47   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I just hope it does not throw it down and it's relocated to the Sports Centre in Church...that was a nightmare a year or two ago.
The implications of this statement worry me greatly, Mr T. Do I take it that you are planning to stay at home on Saturday afternoon? Surely, this cannot be!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:55   #15

I live close to Oak Hill Park and don't have the opportunity to "switch off" the volume on the day. Just remember if you visit it for a couple of hours then that is what you listen to. I have to listen all day

Maybe the Mela should alternate round the parks in the borough as it's a cultural event for all and then more people would be able to join in and "Enjoy the atmosphere"

A quick question does the £6000 go to local business for hire of marquees etc or does it go to companies outside the area.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..