Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 14:11   #16
God Member

Re: Year of Culture update

Yes, I'm excited about Germaine, but equally excited about Strictly Come Dancing - not sure what that says about the conflicts of my personality.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2009, 14:25   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
but equally excited about Strictly Come Dancing

Bet you`re not as excited as my 5yr old..............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 15:42   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thanks gayle strictly is the "Bosses" favourite n tickets are a must.
Old 03-03-2009, 15:10   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Yes, I'm excited about Germaine,
So now we've got that crazy clapped-out sheila turning up in Accy, no doubt to bore everyone to death with some post-feminist psycho-babble. I hope whoever will be entertaining her before/after her turn has got a few bob in their purse, because Gerry likes her whisky...large 'uns, too.

Just out of interest, how much are the council tax payers of Hyndburn forking out for this lot? More than Britcliffe's allowances or Jones's mobile bill? Or do I have to do a FOI job?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 03-03-2009 at 15:14.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 15:16   #20
God Member

our resident misogynist speaks

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 16:31   #21
Give, give, give member

Who's Germaine's dancing parner?

I agree, bit of a coup, getting such a well known personalty/writer/academic here in Hyndburn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
So now we've got that crazy clapped-out sheila turning up in Accy, no doubt to bore everyone to death with some post-feminist psycho-babble. I hope whoever will be entertaining her before/after her turn has got a few bob in their purse, because Gerry likes her whisky...large 'uns, too.

Just out of interest, how much are the council tax payers of Hyndburn forking out for this lot? More than Britcliffe's allowances or Jones's mobile bill? Or do I have to do a FOI job?

We're selling tickets, Hyndburn Borough Council will underwrite the Strictly Stars if we don't make enough but I suspect we'll have not problems filling the place - we've got all the artistes (including Germaine) at very good rates - plus, the Germaine event is being co-hosted by Hyndburn Women's Forum and they have raised the money to bring her.

You can use FOI if you wish.

But as usual, your attitude does disappoint me. We need to be able to attract big names to the area - how often are people complaining about the tribute acts at the theatre or the lack of anything to do?

We're trying to get people interested in coming to Hyndburn, spending their money here and promoting the town. Negative attitudes like yours are why we're in the mess in the first place.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:58   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
our resident misogynist speaks

Annoyingly he's not even our resident because he's moved to London. No doubt he can go and see shows or talks by people like Germaine every day, but he obviously doesn't believe that we deserve stuff like that up here!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:40   #24
Resting in Peace

[quote=Gayle;688593]Annoyingly he's not even our resident because he's moved to London. No doubt he can go and see shows or talks by people like Germaine every day, but he obviously doesn't believe that we deserve stuff like that up here![/quote
Well seeing its the year of culture Gayle can you not manage to get Ian Botham or Tommy Dockerty to do some talking for us lads can't see me sitting there listening to ms greer for to long
Old 06-04-2009, 18:37   #25
God Member

The April issue of the newsletter is available for download from

index

Old 21-04-2009, 21:50   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ta gayle have booked fer Time Murderer Please, we are going tomoz night.
Old 22-04-2009, 08:18   #27
God Member

Hope you enjoy it.

Old 22-04-2009, 09:37   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hope it don't give you ideas cashy
Old 22-04-2009, 10:03   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I may also be going. Depends how long the budget goes on...
Old 22-04-2009, 10:17   #30
God Member

Just want to also flag up a couple of plays that are going to be on at the theatre in June. Both very thought provoking but both comedies. Plus, it's an incredibly cheap night out because the ticket price is subsidised by Grassroots Grants - so only £2.50 per head.

The first play on Wednesday 17th June at 7.30pm is Tea with Mrs Pankhurst presented by New Strides Productions - This is an exploration of the women's suffrage movement and the relationship between Mrs Emmeline Pankhurst and Mrs Selina Cooper. Both were Lancashire women, both were important suffrage leaders but with very different approaches in the fight for the vote. The play also shows how the First World War impacted on the movement and asks what relevance the campaign still has in todays society.

The second play is a one woman show, on Friday 19th June at Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre and is called Off Her Trolley. Off Her Trolley explores the experiences of those that care for the elderly, firstly those that work within the community and secondly those that work within residential care, focusing on the difficulties faced by those working within the private sector. The play explores the experience of ageing and illustrates the difficulties posed by the onset of Alzheimer’s disease both for the individual and their carers. Off her Trolley challenges the ways in which elderly people are perceived by the wider community and skilfully illustrates the ‘common ground’ between those that have and those that do not have Alzheimer’s disease. Despite the seriousness of the issues that this one woman show contains, Off Her Trolley is a blend of stand-up, character and song that seeks to entertain and uplift, make people laugh, as well as encouraging reflection. Off her Trolley was nominated for the Amnesty International / The Big Issue Freedom of Expression Award at the 2008 Edinburgh Fringe and one 'Best Performance' / 'Best Show' in the Act Provocateur Solo Festival.

Tickets for both of the plays can be obtained from Gayle Knight by ringing 01254 387851 or by visiting New Era Complex on Paradise Street, Accrington. Note the tickets for both plays are a £2.50 recommended donation rather than a set ticket price as the productions are subsidised by Grassroots Grants funding, with additional support from Elevate East Lancashire.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..