Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 22:02   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Body Language

There are three of us that meet most afternoons, myself, Mick (all bow down and cringe he is after all a, 'Super Moderator'), and Peter, known as benipete on here, (or he would be known if he actually posted rather than just feed us idea's, I think he's shy).

Well anyway, today the topic around the table was each others 'body language', it came about because Mick, (all bow down etc), was trying to put a point across and was sat at the table fingers interlinked and twiddling his thumbs.

Immediatly both Peter and I sat there fingers linked, (not to each others fingers before you say anything Neil), twiddling our thumbs, (to be different I went anti-clockwise), later I was describing something and my gestures were as if I was dealing cards, the other two replied making similar gestures.

Then later Peter started to explain his theory of something, and moved his hands around the table as if he was shuffling dominoes, Mick and I replied and used similer motions.

We then discussed these gestures and came to the conclusion that because Peter used to play dominoes he always does his main concentration while shuffling the do's, I used to play cards, so my concentration is while dealing, Micks concentration however is during those idle moments when you are confused and don't know what to do next so, play possum, best not to do anything, keep your hands together pretend to be dead but move your thumbs so that nobody calls for an ambulance.

What gestures do you or someone you know use on a regular basis? (Other than the traditional one that archers used to use).

Last edited by Less; 10-11-2007 at 22:09.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2007, 22:07   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Body Language

I don't know about me but last weekend Busman made a wild hand gesture whilst explaining something to somebody and knocked a pint of lager all over me!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 22:09   #3
God Member

I can't believe you're actually inviting people to tell you what hand gestures they use! Now you're just asking for trouble.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 22:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I can't believe you're actually inviting people to tell you what hand gestures they use! Now you're just asking for trouble.
Sorry Gayle, I was busy editing my Original post for the very reason that you mention, How strange that one of our more intelligent members is the first to notice the flaw in this thread! (Or is it?).
Old 10-11-2007, 22:17   #5
God Member

I fiddle with my hair too much. My mum does the same and I was sat behind her at a do today and I realised that we were both leaning on our chairs in the same way fiddling with our hair with our left hands.

Old 10-11-2007, 22:19   #6
Senior Member+

isnt mirroring someones body language and gestures a sign that you are attracted to them?? lol
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 22:20   #7

Quote:
I fiddle with my hair too much. My mum does the same and I was sat behind her at a do today and I realised that we were both leaning on our chairs in the same way fiddling with our hair with our left hands.
Now that's a coincidence! I've noticed Tealeaf does something similar! (The only difference is he would be less obvious if he slakened his belt off while he does it! ).
Old 10-11-2007, 22:22   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Now that's a coincidence! I've noticed Tealeaf does something similar! (The only difference is he would be less obvious if he slakened his belt off while he does it! ).
Don't they say that touching your mouth whilst you're talking is a sign that you're lying? Since Tealeaf talks a load of b*ll*cks most of the time there's probably some truth in what you're saying, Less.

Old 10-11-2007, 22:23   #9
God Member

I tilt my head on one side a lot -- but then I have neck problems and do it for comfort reasons, not signalling

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 22:27   #10

Quote:
Don't they say that touching your mouth whilst you're talking is a sign that you're lying?

Mphh, Mphh, and jolly well, Mphh........Sorry Gayle didn't you understand that? I can't help it I always talk with at least one finger touching my mouth.
Old 10-11-2007, 22:28   #11
God Member

Quote:
Don't they say that touching your mouth whilst you're talking is a sign that you're lying? Since Tealeaf talks a load of b*ll*cks most of the time there's probably some truth in what you're saying, Less.
OMG Gayle, I have never heard you say anything like that before ...

I demand you bring back our gayle...... what have you done with her??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 22:30   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
OMG Gayle, I have never heard you say anything like that before ...

I demand you bring back our gayle...... what have you done with her??
Normal service will be resumed shortly.

Old 10-11-2007, 23:53   #13
God Member

Wow Gayle where did that come from??

well mine is either twiddling my hair or playing with my necklaces while im talking , althoug i do talk alot with my hands apparently ( hubby says ).
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:48   #14
Member.

Quote:

Oh the shame of it............I hope you get bollocked the same as the rest of us for using such words. I always thought of you as a lady.

Me, apart from the day's I get to Stanley, I tend to either twiddle my ring or adopt a praying pose.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:55   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I can't help it I always talk with at least one finger touching my mouth.
I have always noticed a lack of gesticulation on your part Less. When I have observed you, you always sit and talk with your arms crossed and hands under yer armpits, in a self-hugging position, gently swaying back and forth.

This usually analysed as lack of self-confidence .. mmmmm.... nah..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..