Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 13:09   #2176
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have taken photos for a transport and machine forum for years and only just started to get interested in macro. I borrowed a book from the library and also bought one specific for my camera.
The advice I got regarding macro is to get as close as possible, if there is a slight movement left or right then it will be exaggerated the further away you are, basic trigonometry.
The lady who does my gardening was watching me take the photo of the butterfly and she said I was only an inch away.
The trouble with getting too close is the light can be blocked out by the camera if you are not taking notice, I also only use manual focus.

My main interest is big machinery or vehicles, motorcycles, steam engines, ships, planes or lorries. Although they are not "Today in pictures" the ones below are some I took for the magazine, I used a film camera rather then digital for some of them.

my dad was big into steam, but his thing was traction engines, all through the seventies & eighties,(he died in 85) as i was growing up, we would be at steam engine rallies, camping over the weekend, the last weekend we had with my dad was masham, steam rally, the "biggest", he used to say, we got back on the monday and he died of a heart attack on the tuesday. i was only 14, and back then i didnt appreciate, how he got to spend his lasft few days doing what he loved, as i am now older and wiser, i do

thanks for the pics, they made me think of him again

1&2 are the film?
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2012, 13:12   #2177
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
love the scales, and (this sounds weird) any chance you have, or could take, one of the chains wet? think some oil or water would gave loads of texture.
Quote:
no DoF adjustment, and i do like a bit of the old DoF, to go with my wet chains

(dirty laugh, sid james style)
I suspected there might be something kinky about the idea of wet chains

Will see what I can do -they are actually just very dusty in a box in the tractor maintenance workshop.

The guys who were working couldn't understand what I was doing and wanted me to take snaps of them!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 13:12   #2178
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have taken photos for a transport and machine forum for years and only just started to get interested in macro. I borrowed a book from the library and also bought one specific for my camera to learn more about macro photography.
The advice I got regarding macro is to get as close as possible, if there is a slight movement left or right then it will be exaggerated the further away you are, basic trigonometry.
The lady who does my gardening was watching me take the photo of the butterfly and she said I was only an inch away.
The trouble with getting too close is the light can be blocked out by the camera if you are not taking notice, I also only use manual focus.

My main interest is big machinery or vehicles, motorcycles, steam engines, ships, planes or lorries. Although they are not "Today in pictures" the ones below are some I took for the magazine, I used a film camera rather then digital for some of them and lost a bit of quality through scanning them.
Love the machinery, you can smell the oil and steam, and with the lathe you can smell the metal shavings.

With getting close to stuff for the macro shots, if you don't get close enough you miss the thrill of having a wasp fly up one of your nostrils, or ants running up your trouser leg, I would recommend this to anyone.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 13:14   #2179
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Whilst I say, you choose the camera that you are comfortable with, some people dismiss the compact as just that compact. I use a compact fujifilm F500exr and apart from interchangable lenses it does most things a SLR or a Bridge will do and is 16 megapixels.
Having said that we all choose a camera for different reasons, my main reason for choosing mine was, it had to fit in my top pocket. Not a photographical reason, but a reason to take photos, as its always in my top pocket. I even have a pocket in my pyjamas, just for chance something crops up in the night.
agree that if it suits your purpose, but i am a messer, and when you have so many settings on a dslr to play with, there is something about looking and thinking right i will need a higher iso cos its a bit darker and i ail have to use a slower shutter and iwnat to blur that background and change the exposure, cant do any of that on my compact, it takes images but not pictures, if you know what i mean

and i dont think you can post those pics that just crop up in your pjs, unless you belong to some other forums, your not telling us about lol
Old 04-09-2012, 13:14   #2180
God Member

Quote:
the scales have a definite spaghetti western feel!
The original is quite nice of the scales and they are very old - will post it and the original of the chains on the other thread for photos I have messed about with (or whatever it's called!)...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 04-09-2012, 13:15   #2181
Senior Member+

Just to show you how sad I am when it come to machinery.
I stumbled across the old building near the holiday cottage we rent at Gatehouse of Fleet and couldn't resist a peep inside.
Lo and behold, another treadle lathe, there were things there untouched for years including an old air compressor last tested in 1939.

Looking at the lathe in the last picture it appears someone has been in for a crafty drink since then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1573.jpg (429.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1580.jpg (326.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1574.jpg (252.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1579.jpg (296.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 13:19   #2182
Senior Member+

Quote:
I stumbled across the old building near the holiday cottage we rent at Gatehouse of Fleet and couldn't resist a peep inside.
Lo and behold, another treadle lathe, there were things there untouched for years including an old air compressor last tested in 1939.

Looking at the lathe in the last picture it appears someone has been in for a crafty drink since then.
pic 3 is stunning,
Old 04-09-2012, 13:21   #2183
God Member

Quote:

You would have a field day here -there is a huge range of equipment, old and new around -Tractors are just getting bigger and bigger -they also have a small combine here which is for the maize.

I went to see the huge steam engine working at Wigan Pier when my eldest was 5 so nearly 20 years ago -was very impressive.

Thanks all for your nice comments about my bits and pieces!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 04-09-2012, 13:25   #2184
Senior Member+

and that wasnt a cheeky drink, if you ask him he will tell you that it is valuable aluminium that he is saving for the next job!
Old 04-09-2012, 13:30   #2185
God Member

Quote:
the scales have a definite spaghetti western feel!
Just seen what you mean -I think it's the bit of looped rope which is a bit like a whip...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 04-09-2012, 16:00   #2186
Resting In Peace

Sorry can't compete with all the machinery so here's some more doorways, this time from Italy.

1 Ferrara cathedral
2 Not really a door but a gateway - abandoned Roman arch in the docks at Ancona
3 Ancona cathedral
4 Music shop, Castelfidardo, the town that makes accordions - my other half surveying the scene from the doorway
5 Osimo
6 And again
7 Wine shop, Pienza
8 Florence
9 Pisa - leaning tower of...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0080 (309x400) (309x400).jpg (129.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0213 (300x400).jpg (107.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0220 (353x400).jpg (121.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0294 (315x400).jpg (118.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0315 (300x400).jpg (127.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0335 (400x300).jpg (133.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0382 (318x400).jpg (142.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_09200124 (300x400).jpg (98.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_09200155 (300x400).jpg (121.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 18:47   #2187
Senior Member+

Quote:
agree that if it suits your purpose, but i am a messer, and when you have so many settings on a dslr to play with, there is something about looking and thinking right i will need a higher iso cos its a bit darker and i ail have to use a slower shutter and iwnat to blur that background and change the exposure, cant do any of that on my compact, it takes images but not pictures, if you know what i mean

and i dont think you can post those pics that just crop up in your pjs, unless you belong to some other forums, your not telling us about lol
You just made it a roody doody comment, I said if something crops up in the night, not as you suggested if it crops up in my pyjamas, and there we are back to macro photography again.
Old 04-09-2012, 18:51   #2188
Senior Member+

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
you just made it a roody doody comment, i said if something crops up in the night, not as you suggested if it crops up in my pyjamas, and there we are back to macro photography again.
Old 04-09-2012, 18:55   #2189
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Sorry can't compete with all the machinery so here's some more doorways, this time from Italy.

1 Ferrara cathedral
3 Ancona cathedral
4 Music shop, Castelfidardo, the town that makes accordions - my other half surveying the scene from the doorway
5 Osimo
6 And again
7 Wine shop, Pienza
8 Florence
Nice set of doors, number 5 is the one that does it for me, its the cobbles going off into the distance.
Old 04-09-2012, 18:56   #2190
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

1 Ferrara cathedral
3 Ancona cathedral
5 Osimo
6 And again
7 Wine shop, Pienza
8 Florence
2&7, like the shade split on 7

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..