Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2012, 14:03   #2446
Beacon of light

Re: Today in pictures

ooh, they are lovely......made me long even more Sue.
I love this kind of stuff. I am in awe of those skilled men who did this work so long ago...and I often wonder what modern stuff will be left in a few centuries, and will the population of the time, think as I do now??

Any plans to revisit Sue? And can you get me in your suitcase?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2012, 14:15   #2447
God Member

Very beautiful Sue -and hard to capture. Amazing colours and architecture. Have you tried chopping them a bit to maximise the mosaics?

As to Venice it's one of those places that people either love or hate -no middle ground as far as I can tell from what different people have told me.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 14:17   #2448
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I love this kind of stuff. I am in awe of those skilled men who did this work so long ago...and I often wonder what modern stuff will be left in a few centuries, and will the population of the time, think as I do now??

Book yourself a cheap flight on Ryanair Margaret and come to stay here in Cremona -I'm always glad to play the tour guide

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 17-09-2012, 14:26   #2449
Beacon of light

Dianne...wish I could do that......but life is a bit full on at the moment......full of childminding and mummy watching.....I feel like the meat in a Margaret Sandwich.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 17:39   #2450
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Very beautiful Sue -and hard to capture. Amazing colours and architecture. Have you tried chopping them a bit to maximise the mosaics?

As to Venice it's one of those places that people either love or hate -no middle ground as far as I can tell from what different people have told me.
Thank you both, glad you liked them, they turned out better than I expected and no I haven't played about with them any more.

No plans to go back Margaret, we very rarely revisit places, there are too many new ones to see... Though I do have a suitcase just about big enough for a body but that only goes on cruises with me. Or you could sit in the shower in our camper van...

Di we went to Venice in March when there was still snow on the ground at the Lido. Not sure I would have been so enamoured in the height of summer but maybe the buildings and atmosphere might even conquer the effect of hordes of tourists. You could almost do a day trip from Garda, just to dip your toe in the water, so to speak...
Old 17-09-2012, 19:06   #2451
Senior Member+

We have just had four days in a Lodge at Pine lakes.

I took one or two pictures of Morecambe as well, just so Susie wouldn't feel left out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2058.jpg (513.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2163.jpg (476.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CSC_2180.JPG (370.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2134.JPG (443.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2378.jpg (534.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2385.jpg (522.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 17-09-2012, 19:29   #2452
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
We have just had four days in a Lodge at Pine lakes.

I took one or two pictures of Morecambe as well, just so Susie wouldn't feel left out.
Thanks Russell, that is the best photo of the Yacht Club I have ever seen - I usually take it from the other side so you don't get that fantastic background. And you were only a few yards from our house!

When you said you were going to Pine Lakes I hadn't connected the name with that place near Carnforth! Hope you and June had a lovely break and she wasn't too exhausted by it.
Old 17-09-2012, 19:38   #2453
Senior Member+

Thanks for the compliment Susie, the Yacht club photo was taken from the side of the Midland Hotel with a 300mm lens.
Yes June was exhausted but we took our time and she went back to the lodge to sleep for a while in the afternoon. The little mobo scooter makes life easier, the best thing i ever bought her.
Pine lakes is a lovely place, very peaceful and the lodges are much bigger than I expected.

I took loads of photos all around the area. The trouble is that I have to downsize the photos and it takes time so I only do a few for the forum. I suppose I should set the resolution a bit lower. Apart from that I never do any manipulating of my photos, they are straight from the card.

My last two for todays quota.
The Lodge and the night view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2360.jpg (580.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2150.jpg (486.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Gremlin; 17-09-2012 at 19:45.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 20:39   #2454
Senior Member+

DSC03906.JPG
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 20:48   #2455
Senior Member+

Nice photo max.
Nice and simple, nothing to detract you from the subject.
Old 18-09-2012, 10:51   #2456
God Member

Agreed Gremlin! Karma due to you both -have already been to generous in the last 24 hrs.

Love you silouhette of the bench and the lights reflecting in the water.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 18-09-2012, 17:48   #2457
Resting In Peace

Dianne you suggested I play around with the mosaic shots and having done so only one came out well - the others are either too blurred or shot at funny angles to make good closeups. Here it is together with a few more tower shots.

1 The mosaic closeup -Three wise men and the star (note their names are picked out above), 6th century in San Apollinare Nuovo. Thought this might make a good Christmas card... Love their fancy leggings - and they are wearing Phrygian caps, symbol of freedom and liberty, adopted also during the French Revolution
2 - 4 Torre Civico (town tower in Ravenna) still standing - just.
This visibly leaning tower is the sole survivor of many mediaeval towers that once dotted the city of Ravenna. It was built in the 12th century, when prominent families raced to build such towers to assert their power and dominance all over central Italy. The towers of Ravenna were deliberately destroyed in the 13th century when the city came under papal rule, as a way to exert control over the city. Only la Torre Civica was spared because it had been taken over by the local government of Ravenna. The tower rises 39 metres and is reinforced with steel in order to prevent it from collapsing.
Fun Things To Do in Ravenna - Attractions & Must See - VirtualTourist
5 San Marino, Palazzo Pubblico -town hall and government building
6 Tower of 5, seen above the rooftops
7 Urbino, Ducal Palace
8 Close up of above
9 Torre del Mangia, Siena at dusk. The name, (meaning "Tower of the Eater") derives from its first guardian, Giovanni di Balduccio, nicknamed Mangiaguadagni for his tendency to spend all his money on food. Built in 1338-1348, it is located in the Piazza del Campo, adjacent to the Palazzo Pubblica. When built it was one of the tallest secular towers in medieval Italy. At 88 m, it is now second only to Cremona's Torrazzo - Dianne, over to you!
10 San Gimignano - the medieval Manhattan - this is where most tourists go to see towers but we couldn't get closer than 2km in our motorhome, even to park so we didn't bother. Same in Assisi, but other paces such as Loreto (pilgrimage centre), Pienza (Renaissance gem) and San Marino, were positively welcoming. Could do a whole post of pics of our van parked in various Italian towns!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wise men.JPG (369.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0118 (300x400).jpg (102.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0119 (300x400).jpg (115.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0117 (400x300).jpg (103.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0166.jpg (470.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0168 (400x300).jpg (88.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0199 (300x400).jpg (111.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0202 (400x300).jpg (95.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0394 (300x400).jpg (99.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0911Image0403 (400x300).jpg (97.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 18-09-2012, 18:57   #2458
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Thanks for the compliment Susie, the Yacht club photo was taken from the side of the Midland Hotel with a 300mm lens.
Yes June was exhausted but we took our time and she went back to the lodge to sleep for a while in the afternoon. The little mobo scooter makes life easier, the best thing i ever bought her.
Pine lakes is a lovely place, very peaceful and the lodges are much bigger than I expected.

I took loads of photos all around the area. The trouble is that I have to downsize the photos and it takes time so I only do a few for the forum. I suppose I should set the resolution a bit lower. Apart from that I never do any manipulating of my photos, they are straight from the card.

My last two for todays quota.
The Lodge and the night view.
The first photo, I can see your wife in the window, but the large window, around the area of the chairs I can see a face in the reflection, no body just a face with blue eyes. Is it me or can someone else see it?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 19:01   #2459
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Dianne you suggested I play around with the mosaic shots and having done so only one came out well - the others are either too blurred or shot at funny angles to make good closeups. Here it is together with a few more tower shots.

1 The mosaic closeup -Three wise men and the star (note their names are picked out above), 6th century in San Apollinare Nuovo. Thought this might make a good Christmas card... Love their fancy leggings - and they are wearing Phrygian caps, symbol of freedom and liberty, adopted also during the French Revolution
2 - 4 Torre Civico (town tower in Ravenna) still standing - just.
This visibly leaning tower is the sole survivor of many mediaeval towers that once dotted the city of Ravenna. It was built in the 12th century, when prominent families raced to build such towers to assert their power and dominance all over central Italy. The towers of Ravenna were deliberately destroyed in the 13th century when the city came under papal rule, as a way to exert control over the city. Only la Torre Civica was spared because it had been taken over by the local government of Ravenna. The tower rises 39 metres and is reinforced with steel in order to prevent it from collapsing.
Fun Things To Do in Ravenna - Attractions & Must See - VirtualTourist
5 San Marino, Palazzo Pubblico -town hall and government building
6 Tower of 5, seen above the rooftops
7 Urbino, Ducal Palace
8 Close up of above
9 Torre del Mangia, Siena at dusk. The name, (meaning "Tower of the Eater") derives from its first guardian, Giovanni di Balduccio, nicknamed Mangiaguadagni for his tendency to spend all his money on food. Built in 1338-1348, it is located in the Piazza del Campo, adjacent to the Palazzo Pubblica. When built it was one of the tallest secular towers in medieval Italy. At 88 m, it is now second only to Cremona's Torrazzo - Dianne, over to you!
10 San Gimignano - the medieval Manhattan - this is where most tourists go to see towers but we couldn't get closer than 2km in our motorhome, even to park so we didn't bother. Same in Assisi, but other paces such as Loreto (pilgrimage centre), Pienza (Renaissance gem) and San Marino, were positively welcoming. Could do a whole post of pics of our van parked in various Italian towns!
Nice set of buildings again, picture 5 smashing set of candle widgets right up the front of the building
Old 18-09-2012, 19:19   #2460
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, a wet slippy muddy day, up to 5 arches and back down the other side, I fell over twice in the mud. The things I go through, at my age.

1. The start point, the last bit of the Ashton Frost Engine.
2. On the way up a view across the Clough, its going brown now.
3. What was once 5 arches, there is a large amount of water today.
4. I just cant stop myself, I used to go to school with her.
5. Shoe mill on a wet day.
6. Another look across the clough on the way back down.
7.This is what's called an Oak Apple, its actualy the Gall wasp injecting the Oak bud with an egg, and the tree forms this gall as protection.
8. Bath night again.
9. I know, another one, this time I'm up a tree, and one of my "fall over" points.
10.Almost out of the clough, this is behind the area that was once Highams bleach works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3737.JPG (472.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3757.JPG (417.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3765.JPG (412.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3798.JPG (480.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3811.JPG (407.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3823.JPG (477.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3829.JPG (467.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3833.JPG (479.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3841.JPG (454.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3849.JPG (452.6 KB, 5 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..