Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2012, 19:22   #2461
God Member

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Dianne you suggested I play around with the mosaic shots and having done so only one came out well - the others are either too blurred or shot at funny angles to make good closeups. Here it is together with a few more tower shots.

1 The mosaic closeup -Three wise men and the star (note their names are picked out above), 6th century in San Apollinare Nuovo. Thought this might make a good Christmas card... Love their fancy leggings - and they are wearing Phrygian caps, symbol of freedom and liberty, adopted also during the French Revolution
2 - 4 Torre Civico (town tower in Ravenna) still standing - just.
This visibly leaning tower is the sole survivor of many mediaeval towers that once dotted the city of Ravenna. It was built in the 12th century, when prominent families raced to build such towers to assert their power and dominance all over central Italy. The towers of Ravenna were deliberately destroyed in the 13th century when the city came under papal rule, as a way to exert control over the city. Only la Torre Civica was spared because it had been taken over by the local government of Ravenna. The tower rises 39 metres and is reinforced with steel in order to prevent it from collapsing.
Fun Things To Do in Ravenna - Attractions & Must See - VirtualTourist
5 San Marino, Palazzo Pubblico -town hall and government building
6 Tower of 5, seen above the rooftops
7 Urbino, Ducal Palace
8 Close up of above
9 Torre del Mangia, Siena at dusk. The name, (meaning "Tower of the Eater") derives from its first guardian, Giovanni di Balduccio, nicknamed Mangiaguadagni for his tendency to spend all his money on food. Built in 1338-1348, it is located in the Piazza del Campo, adjacent to the Palazzo Pubblica. When built it was one of the tallest secular towers in medieval Italy. At 88 m, it is now second only to Cremona's Torrazzo - Dianne, over to you!
10 San Gimignano - the medieval Manhattan - this is where most tourists go to see towers but we couldn't get closer than 2km in our motorhome, even to park so we didn't bother. Same in Assisi, but other paces such as Loreto (pilgrimage centre), Pienza (Renaissance gem) and San Marino, were positively welcoming. Could do a whole post of pics of our van parked in various Italian towns!
Nice set of pics -spotted Richard in his Panama!

The three kings mosaic is brilliant -would make a lovely personalised xmas card!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2012, 19:24   #2462
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
The first photo, I can see your wife in the window, but the large window, around the area of the chairs I can see a face in the reflection, no body just a face with blue eyes. Is it me or can someone else see it?
Now you've said it -yes!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 18-09-2012, 19:25   #2463
God Member

Quote:
Today in Pictures, a wet slippy muddy day, up to 5 arches and back down the other side, I fell over twice in the mud. The things I go through, at my age.

1. The start point, the last bit of the Ashton Frost Engine.
2. On the way up a view across the Clough, its going brown now.
3. What was once 5 arches, there is a large amount of water today.
4. I just cant stop myself, I used to go to school with her.
5. Shoe mill on a wet day.
6. Another look across the clough on the way back down.
7.This is what's called an Oak Apple, its actualy the Gall wasp injecting the Oak bud with an egg, and the tree forms this gall as protection.
8. Bath night again.
9. I know, another one, this time I'm up a tree, and one of my "fall over" points.
10.Almost out of the clough, this is behind the area that was once Highams bleach works.
All looking autumny -waiting for the leaves to change -should be some great colours!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 18-09-2012, 19:25   #2464
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Nice set of pics -spotted Richard in his Panama!

The three kings mosaic is brilliant -would make a lovely personalised xmas card!
Yes - he gives a good scale to the Urbino pic. Panama is better than the back of his bald head in the previous Ravenna shots!

Am investigating the Christmas card angle - have done it before with one of my Greenland shots.
Old 18-09-2012, 19:29   #2465
God Member

Sue, you mentioned the idea of an Accyweb calendar once -have you thought of taking the idea further - perhaps with the mods and some kind of selection among members of photos of ours -could be a good one! Just a thought...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 18-09-2012, 19:36   #2466
Resting In Peace

Quote:
The first photo, I can see your wife in the window, but the large window, around the area of the chairs I can see a face in the reflection, no body just a face with blue eyes. Is it me or can someone else see it?
Bottom of the lamppost RHS? Dave are you on the same stuff as me? Been for treatment today, nearly high as a kite, not quite yet!

To Lancaster today so more pics to post soon - took over a hundred, need sorting!
Old 18-09-2012, 19:38   #2467
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Nice set of buildings again, picture 5 smashing set of candle widgets right up the front of the building
Ha ha candle widgets, like it but bet they're not as ancient as the Florence ones. You must have enlarged the pic to see those.
Old 18-09-2012, 19:42   #2468
Resting In Peace

Quote:
4. I just cant stop myself, I used to go to school with her.
You are awful... but I like you!

Quote:
9. I know, another one, this time I'm up a tree, and one of my "fall over" points.
Never seen a tree sticking its tongue out before...
Old 18-09-2012, 19:48   #2469
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Sue, you mentioned the idea of an Accyweb calendar once -have you thought of taking the idea further - perhaps with the mods and some kind of selection among members of photos of ours -could be a good one! Just a thought...
Yes I did didn't I... remember saying someone's pic ought to be on the front of a calendar - but can't remember who or what!

Getting it made wouldn't be a problem but there are other issues - finance, distribution, numbers, subject - Accy, wildlife, people & places...???

Some things to mull over, probably a bit late for this year (I mean 2013) but could be thought about for next.
Old 18-09-2012, 21:43   #2470
Senior Member+

Quote:
Bottom of the lamppost RHS? Dave are you on the same stuff as me? Been for treatment today, nearly high as a kite, not quite yet!

To Lancaster today so more pics to post soon - took over a hundred, need sorting!
I do tend to look at all the pictures posted in detail.

Quote:
Ha ha candle widgets, like it but bet they're not as ancient as the Florence ones. You must have enlarged the pic to see those.
The number of widgets on that picture is impressive, it must have taken ages to put in and light all the candles, also all the stairs to climb as well

Quote:
You are awful... but I like you!

Never seen a tree sticking its tongue out before...
If you look at the out of focus background, you will see that I am to high for my own good, and its no wonder I slid down the muddy slope on my tush
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 21:45   #2471
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes I did didn't I... remember saying someone's pic ought to be on the front of a calendar - but can't remember who or what!

Getting it made wouldn't be a problem but there are other issues - finance, distribution, numbers, subject - Accy, wildlife, people & places...???

Some things to mull over, probably a bit late for this year (I mean 2013) but could be thought about for next.
It might be a good idea for a competition, it might get more people posting pictures.
Old 18-09-2012, 21:48   #2472
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I do tend to look at all the pictures posted in detail.
No wonder it takes you a long time to view this thread! Was I right about the face in the lodge window?

Quote:
If you look at the out of focus background, you will see that I am to high for my own good, and its no wonder I slid down the muddy slope on my tush
Did you get in the bath with Bob?
Old 18-09-2012, 21:50   #2473
Resting In Peace

Quote:
It might be a good idea for a competition, it might get more people posting pictures.
Perhaps we should just run back through this thread and pick out the best - there are enough to choose from!
Old 18-09-2012, 21:53   #2474
Senior Member+

Quote:
Did you get in the bath with Bob?
Imagine any new members stumbling into this thread and reading this question without reading the rest
Old 18-09-2012, 22:05   #2475
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Imagine any new members stumbling into this thread and reading this question without reading the rest
I don't think its against the law, well thats what my therapist says.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..