Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 16:24   #4276
God Member

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
The road into Shap village.
The memorial stone on the top of Shap was officially opened by the lady who used to have the job of winding the clock, she lived in a cottage lower down.
I suppose I am one of the drivers that the stone pays tribute to.

Has anybody seen this little monument, it is situated about a mile north of Broughton traffic lights on the A6, it is on the right hand side just before the first house at the top of the small rise in the road.
I remember slowing down to take the picture and show my wife the stone, other drivers had no patience and blew their horns.

The last photo is the first tanker I drove over Shap on my way to Dounreay (near John O' Groats for those who don't know) power station. A weeks work there and back.

Am I boring you again with lorry photos, I have another 2342 to go yet, don't temp me.
Have never noticed that tribute before - nice to think you are one of those it remembers. I saw a lot of Gilbraith's vehicles as I grew up on Cranbourne Drive -just round the corner from their yard! Another coincidence -you mention Dounreay -my dad was one of the engineers working up there for a number of years and used to fly up regularly, he bought my mum a lot of nice Caithness glass paper weights and vases up there!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2013, 18:44   #4277
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
What year was that?
The first trip to Dounreay was January 1970.
Old 10-07-2013, 21:36   #4278
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, the flora and fauna of Huncoat Colliery.

1.Waves of Golden Rod greet your arrival.
2. A baby teasel takes to the air.
3. Orchids abound.
4. This Common Blue Butterfly was all over the site, however it was a devil to photo as it sensed my approach and shot off.
5. Ragged Robin now grow in large drifts.
6. Small Skipper Butterfly.
7. Meadow Salsify seed head.
8. The Burnet Moth covers the site in very large numbers, I have never seen them in such large numbers.
9. This grass must be 8 foot tall.
10. And this is not helping my hay fever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1160962.JPG (450.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1160977.JPG (463.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160980.JPG (437.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1160985.JPG (494.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P1170005.JPG (490.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P1170020.JPG (367.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1170071.JPG (358.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1170092.JPG (444.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1170129.JPG (469.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg P1170135.JPG (423.2 KB, 7 views)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 00:05   #4279

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post

3. Orchids abound.
4. This Common Blue Butterfly was all over the site, however it was a devil to photo as it sensed my approach and shot off.
8. The Burnet Moth covers the site in very large numbers, I have never seen them in such large numbers.
Beautiful! Thank you Davemac.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:17   #4280
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Beautiful! Thank you Davemac.
Thank you, if there are any areas you would like to see photographically let me know.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34   #4281
Senior Member+

I know you don't mind getting your knickers or knees wet Dave but I am not too good at stooping low.
With that in mind I bought this little attachment to fit over the eyepiece for that reason.
It was not very expensive and there are fittings included for different size eyepieces.
Just a thought to save you from getting knee rot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020496.jpg (160.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:54   #4282
Senior Member+

Quote:
I know you don't mind getting your knickers or knees wet Dave but I am not too good at stooping low.
With that in mind I bought this little attachment to fit over the eyepiece for that reason.
It was not very expensive and there are fittings included for different size eyepieces.
Just a thought to save you from getting knee rot.
Nice gadget, unfortunately neither of my cameras have an eyepiece, I have a Fujifilm F500EXR, FinePix F500EXR | Fujifilm Global and a Panasonic Lumix DMC GX1 (compact system camera) DMC-GX1 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global. I chose them because they didn't have an eyepiece, I seldom take photos at eye level, and opting for the knee height shots most of the time, and prostrate some of the time.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:25   #4283
Senior Member+

Just a though Dave, never mind, you get some cracking photos without an eyepiece.

I have a Panasonic DMC TZ30 pocket camera without an eyepiece and find there is too much reflection on the screen if the light is behind me.
It is a great little camera and it takes superb photos but it is just the lack of eyepiece I dislike.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:17   #4284
God Member

Quote:

3. Orchids abound.
Love the photo of the Common Blue butterfly -we have lots around over here but I've never managed to photograph them -always close their wings when they land on something! Must be a bumper year for Burnet Moths -nice and bright!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 13:26   #4285
Senior Member+

Quote:
Just a though Dave, never mind, you get some cracking photos without an eyepiece.

I have a Panasonic DMC TZ30 pocket camera without an eyepiece and find there is too much reflection on the screen if the light is behind me.
It is a great little camera and it takes superb photos but it is just the lack of eyepiece I dislike.
I am the other way about eyepieces, I wouldnt use one even if it had one, as some have screens and eyepieces. It is, however horses for courses, I have a friend who used to work in a camera shop and he won't use a camera without an eyepiece as that is what he is used to, and fair enough, he is also stick on Nikon cameras as that is what he used when he took press photographs.

You will have now to produce a few down low, and close up shots to let me see how the unit works.
Old 11-07-2013, 13:29   #4286
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Love the photo of the Common Blue butterfly -we have lots around over here but I've never managed to photograph them -always close their wings when they land on something! Must be a bumper year for Burnet Moths -nice and bright!
There were plenty of the blue jobbies flying around, but every time one settled, and I set off to snap it, it pushed off pretty sharpish, the Burnet Moth on the other hand, there are so many, and I must have seen thousands, just feed ,and I can get close enough the touch them if I wanted.
Old 11-07-2013, 13:53   #4287
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Dave, when you walk around the colliery site are there any remains of the buildings or where the shaft was or railway lines which used to go over to the coke works at Altham
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 14:51   #4288
Senior Member+

I took a few pics of a coliery today, not round here though so may not be of much interest. Will see how they turned out when I get home and maybe put some up.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 15:44   #4289
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am the other way about eyepieces, I wouldnt use one even if it had one, as some have screens and eyepieces. It is, however horses for courses, I have a friend who used to work in a camera shop and he won't use a camera without an eyepiece as that is what he is used to, and fair enough, he is also stick on Nikon cameras as that is what he used when he took press photographs.

You will have now to produce a few down low, and close up shots to let me see how the unit works.
The photos won't look any different Dave it just saves crouching down as low.
I am looking down into a viewfinder and the camera is horizontal.
The best gadget is the Wi Fi which links to my iPhone or iPad.
You can set the camera up and monitor it via the iPhone screen and operate the shutter from the phone.
Old 11-07-2013, 17:10   #4290
Senior Member+

For you Dave, a typical low down shot taken using the angled viewfinder.

Does your mate have a first name starting with a "R" Dave? Also a radio ham.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1648.jpg (537.4 KB, 7 views)
shillelagh likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..