Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014, 22:25   #7141
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
An unexpected trip to a village museum this morning. I went to market in nearby Paderno Ponchielli and found this place by chance. They have a lovely collection housed in the Maestro's original home and the local man who was guide and is the curator of the collection was very knowlegable. The man in question was Amilcare Ponchielli a composer and pianist whose name was added to his village's name on the centenary of his death. The theatre in Cremona also carries his name. He was a child genius who was discovered by a local noble when he played the organ in the village church -his father had taught him all he knew and age 10 he was sent to the Conservatory in Milan. Later in his life he would become Puccini's tutor. His most famous opera is La Gioconda - photos show his first piano (bought second hand), he is the photo on the left (when the guide is present), next to Puccini. Other material relates to his works, costumes which were designed for his operas and there is a photo of his wife Teresa Brambilla in costume , she was a well-known soprano. he died aged 51 of pneumonia in 1886 -his wife out-lived him by many years and died in 1921! Last photo shows the commenmorative stamps produced in 1986 to mark his centenary. Amilcare Ponchielli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following piece should be recogniseable as it was used by Walt Disney in Fantasia!

That is an interesting experience, you may just have started a trend, I played the music and looked at your photos, and I was right there, very nice.
mobertol likes this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2014, 22:29   #7142
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, Spring Wood as the ground wakes up, and starts to show off. In a few weeks time this area will be covered in Bluebells, Garlic, and Wood Anemones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0411.JPG (432.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1070530.JPG (448.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1070582.JPG (338.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1070597.JPG (475.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1070610.JPG (425.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1070622.JPG (422.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1070653.JPG (479.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1070663.JPG (386.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1070678.JPG (433.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1070683.JPG (422.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-04-2014, 22:50   #7143

Quote:
An unexpected trip to a village museum this morning. I went to market in nearby Paderno Ponchielli and found this place by chance. They have a lovely collection housed in the Maestro's original home and the local man who was guide and is the curator of the collection was very knowlegable. The man in question was Amilcare Ponchielli a composer and pianist whose name was added to his village's name on the centenary of his death. The theatre in Cremona also carries his name. He was a child genius who was discovered by a local noble when he played the organ in the village church -his father had taught him all he knew and age 10 he was sent to the Conservatory in Milan. Later in his life he would become Puccini's tutor. His most famous opera is La Gioconda - photos show his first piano (bought second hand), he is the photo on the left (when the guide is present), next to Puccini. Other material relates to his works, costumes which were designed for his operas and there is a photo of his wife Teresa Brambilla in costume , she was a well-known soprano. he died aged 51 of pneumonia in 1886 -his wife out-lived him by many years and died in 1921! Last photo shows the commenmorative stamps produced in 1986 to mark his centenary. Amilcare Ponchielli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following piece should be recogniseable as it was used by Walt Disney in Fantasia!

Thank you Diane. That was a real treat!
mobertol likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 22:50   #7144

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, Spring Wood as the ground wakes up, and starts to show off. In a few weeks time this area will be covered in Bluebells, Garlic, and Wood Anemones.
Ah, the first bluebells in flower. Lovely!
Old 03-04-2014, 23:04   #7145
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Ah, the first bluebells in flower. Lovely!
I did find a few early flowers, but they are a bit sparse at the moment
Old 04-04-2014, 13:49   #7146
God Member

Quote:
I am a sucker for a bluebell - that is such a beautiful photo!

I hope they last a while then maybe we could go to see some together Dave. I've just booked to come over on April 25th - will PM you
davemac likes this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 14:17   #7147
God Member

A mixed selection - the first three are of a rather kitch looking house front in the village I visited yesterday (just round the corner from the musem). A local hunting fanatic and his son created this all by hand -the wood carving and hunting scenes are exquisite seen close up. Have left the 1st pic on high resolution so you can zoom in and see! The next 7 are from a very windy walk into Castelverde this morning while I waited for the tyres changing on the car. The chap in the allotment was very chatty and he has a great scarecrow with a sunflower head which you can just about see. He was planting out his courgettes and told me about the lilac, which is the sad remainder of a devastated plant which was lovely this time last year and covered about 20 feet of railings. Council work on paving has damaged the roots You can now see the junk beyond the railings which used to be hidden by the lilac. Some nice blossom and spring greenery along the cycle path and a few humble daisies among the remains of last years dead leaves and this years catkins which were being blown down in the high winds. The shoot I have photographed in number 7 is wild hops. I picked a nice bunch of these the other day and made risotto using them. They are known here as poor-man's asparagus and everyone goes out picking them at this time of year, they are also nice in an omelette.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9409.jpg (419.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9410.jpg (168.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9411.jpg (164.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9430.jpg (175.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9431.jpg (207.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9433.jpg (187.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9434.jpg (144.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9437.jpg (205.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9438.jpg (185.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9439.jpg (177.9 KB, 11 views)
kestrelx, shillelagh, Eric and 7 others like this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 04-04-2014 at 14:18. Reason: Spelling
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 21:25   #7148
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am a sucker for a bluebell - that is such a beautiful photo!

I hope they last a while then maybe we could go to see some together Dave. I've just booked to come over on April 25th - will PM you
That's good news, I hope the weather stays good for your visit, will wait for the PM.
mobertol likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 21:31   #7149
Senior Member+

Quote:
A mixed selection - the first three are of a rather kitch looking house front in the village I visited yesterday (just round the corner from the musem). A local hunting fanatic and his son created this all by hand -the wood carving and hunting scenes are exquisite seen close up. Have left the 1st pic on high resolution so you can zoom in and see! The next 7 are from a very windy walk into Castelverde this morning while I waited for the tyres changing on the car. The chap in the allotment was very chatty and he has a great scarecrow with a sunflower head which you can just about see. He was planting out his courgettes and told me about the lilac, which is the sad remainder of a devastated plant which was lovely this time last year and covered about 20 feet of railings. Council work on paving has damaged the roots You can now see the junk beyond the railings which used to be hidden by the lilac. Some nice blossom and spring greenery along the cycle path and a few humble daisies among the remains of last years dead leaves and this years catkins which were being blown down in the high winds. The shoot I have photographed in number 7 is wild hops. I picked a nice bunch of these the other day and made risotto using them. They are known here as poor-man's asparagus and everyone goes out picking them at this time of year, they are also nice in an omelette.
Those carvings are a marvel to look at, and with the mock chimney it looks like a hunting lodge, was this the intent. the brick wall with the overhang of cherries is a good contrast.
mobertol likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 21:35   #7150
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, too many things to do today to get immersed in to the world of photography, so just a few on my knees. (Mercer Park)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2371.JPG (480.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2378.JPG (463.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2385.JPG (438.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2388.JPG (439.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2399.jpg (94.6 KB, 7 views)
kestrelx, shillelagh, Eric and 5 others like this.
Old 04-04-2014, 22:18   #7151
God Member

Quote:
Today in Pictures, too many things to do today to get immersed in to the world of photography, so just a few on my knees. (Mercer Park)
Mercer park ... the memories Best conkers on the planet came from that big old tree by the tennis courts.
mobertol and davemac like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 22:41   #7152
Senior Member+

Just for a change, we went along the canal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04225.jpg (427.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04233-Edit-Edit.jpg (488.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04251.jpg (469.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04265-Edit.jpg (391.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04292.jpg (423.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04296.jpg (471.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04298-Edit.jpg (401.8 KB, 14 views)
kestrelx, shillelagh, Eric and 5 others like this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 22:55   #7153
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Just for a change, we went along the canal.
Your skies are impressive in a few today.
Old 05-04-2014, 00:15   #7154

Wonderful photos from today mobertol, davemac and gpick. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2014, 18:55   #7155
Senior Member+

Quote:
Your skies are impressive in a few today.
They were a bit bland to start with, livened them up a bit with a few adjustments.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..