Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2014, 20:03   #8551
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

I dare not print how I feel about the situation, the perpetrators should have their arms broken and left OUTSIDE A&E for a month. B******
Old 13-07-2014, 20:16   #8552
Beacon of light

Russell, it might be as Dave says...they may have ingested something....birds with broken necks are usually dead......and the poster says that these are close to death.

I hope someone does something to help them soon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 20:22   #8553
Senior Member+

Whatever Margaret I just hope the poor creatures get help very soon, the young birds will need protecting as well.
Old 14-07-2014, 04:41   #8554
Junior Member+

Hi all
Just an update about the swans. Sorry to butt into your forum last night but it was a moment of desperation and sadness as you can imagine

The RSPCA did turn up in the end - I think they had to come from Halifax. As was suggested on here, the rspca did believe that they were poisoned and they removed some bread from inside their mouths/ necks. They took the swans away. The pictures that I posted did not really reflect how awful the swans were. They could not raise their necks. The little one which was born within the last two weeks (there was only one young this year) seemed fine.

The nest this year was made close to the swing bridge opposite canal side to express gifts. That empty nest is a very sad sight

Just as an aside, there have been some cats poisoned in Church lately - according to local gossip

Regards
Accyexplorer likes this.
swingbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 06:25   #8555
Beacon of light

Thank you for the update...it is really kind of you to let us know how things went.
You were not butting in.....you were looking for advice.
I am sure that I speak for all those who post to this thread, when I say that I hope the swans will be looked after .....and hopefully will recover.
Old 14-07-2014, 06:42   #8556
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That's the guy.
Do you think he looks like him...or should I book myself in at Specsavers?
Looks a bit like him to me as well.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 07:45   #8557
Senior Member+

Quote:
Oh that is heart breaking.
I would phone the police too. The RSPCA are a waste of space.
So are Lancashire Police
Accyexplorer likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 09:13   #8558
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingbrig View Post
Hi all
Just an update about the swans. Sorry to butt into your forum last night but it was a moment of desperation and sadness as you can imagine

The RSPCA did turn up in the end - I think they had to come from Halifax. As was suggested on here, the rspca did believe that they were poisoned and they removed some bread from inside their mouths/ necks. They took the swans away. The pictures that I posted did not really reflect how awful the swans were. They could not raise their necks. The little one which was born within the last two weeks (there was only one young this year) seemed fine.

The nest this year was made close to the swing bridge opposite canal side to express gifts. That empty nest is a very sad sight

Just as an aside, there have been some cats poisoned in Church lately - according to local gossip

Regards
Glad things sort of got sorted, the problem , if it is poisoning, it could have been a lot worse if a child had got hold of whatever it was that was contaminated. Kids always put "stuff" in their mouth as an automatic motion. Also if cats have also been poisoned then it looks like it is covering a wider area than the canal.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 15:01   #8559
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingbrig View Post
Hi all

Regards
Quote:
Thank you for the update...it is really kind of you to let us know how things went.
You were not butting in.....you were looking for advice.
I am sure that I speak for all those who post to this thread, when I say that I hope the swans will be looked after .....and hopefully will recover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Glad things sort of got sorted, the problem , if it is poisoning, it could have been a lot worse if a child had got hold of whatever it was that was contaminated. Kids always put "stuff" in their mouth as an automatic motion. Also if cats have also been poisoned then it looks like it is covering a wider area than the canal.
How terrible - I hope it isn't a serial poisoner and is just an isolated case. Whatever it turns out to be I hope they catch whoever did something so evil and cruel to such beautiful creatures.
As Dave points out if someone gave them deliberately contaminated bread it would have been easy for a child to have put it in their mouth with worse consequences, there are a great number of folk who walk their dogs along there and we all know how good they are at sniffing out some tasty morsel...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 15:03   #8560
God Member

Quote:
not todays Pics...but some from yesterday that I have 'fettled'.
Number 4 is the original.(as if you hadn't guessd).
I love how you fettled number 3 Margaret - how did you do it?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-07-2014, 15:16   #8561
Beacon of light

glad you liked it Dianne.
I did it with photoscape....recommended by DaveMac...it is a time consuming process but it is worth it(if you get the right picture)...Oh yes and I like it even better because it was free.
mobertol likes this.
Old 14-07-2014, 21:33   #8562
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I love how you fettled number 3 Margaret - how did you do it?
Mrs P has an eye for spotting photos that are crying out for colour isolation, and I suppose if someone says "how did you do that" it is praise indeed.
mobertol likes this.
Old 14-07-2014, 21:50   #8563
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, another day of bedlam down at the Cut.

1. It is BargeArama, this barge has just gone through Foster Swing Bridge.
2. Another going in the other direction waits to go through.
3. The boat waiting at the bridge has just bounced off the centre of the structure, and is making no attempt to open the bridge, the bloke waiting had to head to the bridge with the handle.
4. This barge is sporting the flag of New Zealand, I wonder if he has come all this way, I don't think he goes home for dinner.
5. Leaving the mayhem behind, I start to enjoy the tranquillity.
6. Its a swing bridge, that doesn't swing or bridge, will re-position and take another photo now its quiet.
7. BLOOD AND SAND its all kicking off again.
8. This guy was going so fast he was doing water wheelies.
9. Just time for a bit of photographic faffing.
10. Barges a GO-GO has now passed, so its back to bird song, the wind breathing through the flowers, the gentle rustle of the grasses rubbing together,......and the distant lullaby of a pneumatic drill digging up Burnley Road, bliss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1190017.JPG (418.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1190020.JPG (445.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1190023.JPG (413.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _1190032.jpg (96.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1190039.JPG (439.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _1190054.JPG (484.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1190062.JPG (471.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _1190064.JPG (433.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg _1190076.JPG (461.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1190095.JPG (456.2 KB, 9 views)
shillelagh, Eric, mobertol and 4 others like this.
Old 15-07-2014, 01:44   #8564
Senior Member+

I do all my editing on my iPhone (pic art), I can have it finished by the time my PC or laptop boot up
image.jpg

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 06:13   #8565
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I do all my editing on my iPhone (pic art), I can have it finished by the time my PC or laptop boot up
Attachment 42512
Husband is murmuring about getting an I-pad for work - will it be able to do the same things?

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..