Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014, 12:18   #8866
Beacon of light

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Looks like he is too well fed to hop far Margaret. Have you been feeding him custard pies or are they only for me?

Fly pie for him...cistart tart for you
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-08-2014, 13:28   #8867
Beacon of light

The same picture that has been fiddled with...sorry Russell, I know you are a purist...but I think Dave might appreciate this one as there is some 'wet' in it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7078 (800x724) (2).jpg (129.5 KB, 7 views)
Eric, mobertol, davemac and 1 others like this.
Old 01-08-2014, 13:30   #8868
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Fly pie for him...cistart tart for you
That should read 'custart tart'...and all I have had to drink is tea.
Old 01-08-2014, 14:01   #8869
Senior Member+

Quote:
"Custart tart" you playing with jaysay's keyboard again M?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 14:17   #8870
Beacon of light

Well Jason, it hasn't had an outing for quite a while...it is good to see it still works alright
mobertol and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 01-08-2014, 14:20   #8871
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Frogs have smooth skin, so i`d say it`s Toby Toad.
I remembered that from school....all those years ago...but was still pleased to have it confirmed
Old 01-08-2014, 14:39   #8872
Beacon of light

Quote:
I didn't even get it right in my correction...oh woe is me!
Need to get myself off to Specsavers.
Old 01-08-2014, 17:07   #8873

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, Spring Wood, I don't know how many more times I will be able to visit this site as planning permission has been granted to make this a pay and display car park charging Ł1 a pop.

1. Stumps are fuel for other things, and drive the bio-diversity.
2. Usually they go about the business of fuelling the forest without much notice.
3. Cuckoo Pint shouting its colour tucked down in the long grass.
4. Ivy, trying to look like big trees.
5. Here I found a fork in the road..............space left so you can finish the joke.
6. Here are some big trees.
7. And some more big trees.
8. Here is a bench made of wood.......so you can sit and enjoy the woods.
9. A break in the canopy gives enough light for the taller weeds to made a dash for height, and dominance of the surroundings.
10. Right, time to head back down hill to the car park, wondering will the machines have taken over by my next visit.
Lovely woodland shots. About the charging for parking issue, over here we have Agreement Forests with free parking, and Conservation Areas with an Admittance Fee. It can get expensive ($7 each person or $12 maximum per car load of people if I'm not mistaken) or $129 a year. I tend to go on the off season anyway, when the honour box is working and I pay what I can. Fewer mozzies then too
mobertol and davemac like this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 21:00   #8874
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Lovely woodland shots. About the charging for parking issue, over here we have Agreement Forests with free parking, and Conservation Areas with an Admittance Fee. It can get expensive ($7 each person or $12 maximum per car load of people if I'm not mistaken) or $129 a year. I tend to go on the off season anyway, when the honour box is working and I pay what I can. Fewer mozzies then too
I just think its the thin edge of a very big wedge, if they can charge me to visit something I already own in a collective fashion, then what follows, charging to go in the library, art galleries, parks, what about walking on the canal tow path, and don't get me started about paying to visit the sick in hospital. Dont roll over and just pay what they say, anyone who can say its only a pound has too much money, Spring Wood which started this subversive tax debate has a donation box for those that wish to support the site, and I bet some of those people that say pay for a ticket never put twopence in the box, deciding instead to keep their hand on their twopence. Right point made, back to business.
mobertol and Stevie R like this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 21:21   #8875
Senior Member+

I can assure you Dave that when I used to take June to Spring Wood she always insisted I put a quid in the box and buy two ice creams. We usually went at least once a week.
I have never been since she passed away.
Too many memories.
Old 01-08-2014, 21:25   #8876
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, a wet walk down "t" cut.

1. Cut Lane as it goes over the canal, notice the "hump" that looks like a spoil pile.
2. The direction we are heading.
3. Our journey so far.
4. I'm just sitting watching flowers in the rain, hey...... that would make a good song.
5. A small oasis of habitation set in farmland.
6. Now that's a heavy duty barge.
7. Time to turn around.
8. A long gone railway, all that remains is the bridge that the trains went over and the underpass linking a farmer with his livestock. On a day like today, wet and still, you can hear the distant whistle of the steam train as it leaves our conciousness and heads for the only place it can be observed, photographs, and if you really strain the cerebellum you can still evoke the smells of steam, metal on metal, coal, and warm oil, with the merest hint of a Woodbine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1210228.JPG (483.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1210234.JPG (432.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1210240.JPG (489.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1210244.jpg (95.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1210263.JPG (496.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1210265.JPG (472.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _1210269.JPG (477.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1210276.JPG (423.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 21:39   #8877

Quote:
Today in Pictures, a wet walk down "t" cut.

1. Cut Lane as it goes over the canal, notice the "hump" that looks like a spoil pile.
2. The direction we are heading.
3. Our journey so far.
4. I'm just sitting watching flowers in the rain, hey...... that would make a good song.
5. A small oasis of habitation set in farmland.
6. Now that's a heavy duty barge.
7. Time to turn around.
8. A long gone railway, all that remains is the bridge that the trains went over and the underpass linking a farmer with his livestock. On a day like today, wet and still, you can hear the distant whistle of the steam train as it leaves our conciousness and heads for the only place it can be observed, photographs, and if you really strain the cerebellum you can still evoke the smells of steam, metal on metal, coal, and warm oil, with the merest hint of a Woodbine.
Lovely mood in these shots. Did you see the bird in the last one when shooting?
davemac likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 21:42   #8878
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I can assure you Dave that when I used to take June to Spring Wood she always insisted I put a quid in the box and buy two ice creams. We usually went at least once a week.
I have never been since she passed away.
Too many memories.
Well you are to be commended then, and if more people undertook to make a donation then we would not be placed in the position where we have to pay and display, a ticket machine takes away the option, you will pay or be fined.

It can be difficult visiting places that have memories attached, eventually when it doesn't hurt as much you may want to visit and smile at times gone bye, or you may never go again, either way is right for you.
Old 01-08-2014, 21:43   #8879

Quote:
I just think its the thin edge of a very big wedge, if they can charge me to visit something I already own in a collective fashion, then what follows, charging to go in the library, art galleries, parks, what about walking on the canal tow path, and don't get me started about paying to visit the sick in hospital. Dont roll over and just pay what they say, anyone who can say its only a pound has too much money, Spring Wood which started this subversive tax debate has a donation box for those that wish to support the site, and I bet some of those people that say pay for a ticket never put twopence in the box, deciding instead to keep their hand on their twopence. Right point made, back to business.
Yes, it is a slippery slope, even over here. Most hospitals have exorbitant parking costs, so we are in effect paying to visit the sick. It's part of their funding formulae. I avoid parking there whenever possible, as we pay enough tax to support them, I think.
Eric and davemac like this.
Old 01-08-2014, 21:45   #8880
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Lovely mood in these shots. Did you see the bird in the last one when shooting?
I was aware of a punnet of birds whooshing past, I thought they had passed and only noticed two had made it into the picture when it was uploaded.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..