Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2014, 11:41   #9031
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Couldn't have put it better - I have managed to keep a Poinsettia going for a few years. They do like light and you have to be careful not to overwater as the leaves drop easily I find. They grow all year round in Tenerife - I have a nice photo with them on taken by the pool where my parents live - I made the photo into a Xmas card for them one year. (There are 2 versions!)
I did vaguely remember you posting a photo when you were at Mums with a poinsettia on it, but wasn't sure enough to mention it.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2014, 13:37   #9032
God Member

Quote:
Number three is know colloquially here as an "ink plant" they grow to over 1 metre high and if you touch the berres they stain you purple - don't know if they were ever actually used to produce ink though - will see if I can find our more. I don't recognise 4 either or number 2 I'd like to know what that is if you know!
Have discovered the plant is commonly known as Ink-berry or Poke Root in the US - it's correct latin name is Phytolacca decandra. It has a number of uses as a herbal rememdy but the berries are poisonous in large quantites and it acts as a purge!
Poke Root | Herb Museum
davemac likes this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 16:56   #9033
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I'm sure our car enthusiasts will know.
Nr.4 is the newish 500 "Abarth" & the sporty one is an old "Spider" as far as I can make out.

And on that bombshell!
mobertol likes this.
Old 10-08-2014, 17:41   #9034
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Gremlin mate, you really do need to get out more!
Or stop listening to those voices
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 17:47   #9035
Senior Member+

A few planes from around blackpool airport today, couldn`t get near the airshow as we set off too late, so went down to the dunes instead.

1&2. Don`t think this was part of the show
3-7. Think this is the Eurofighter Typhoon, photobombed by a gull.
8-10. Red Arrows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00131.jpg (326.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00136-2.jpg (249.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00137.jpg (289.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00139-Edit.jpg (495.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00150.jpg (350.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00163.jpg (306.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00164.jpg (345.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00183.jpg (218.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00198.jpg (323.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00199.jpg (308.3 KB, 12 views)
shillelagh, Eric, mobertol and 7 others like this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 19:35   #9036
Senior Member+

My day at the barbecue went very well indeed.
We had a hour of sunshine so my cousin got his car out he has built up from scratch based on a three wheel Morgan. Apart from the Guzzi engine and Citroen steering rack and gear box it's all his own work, he even formed the panels. Dash board was on old mahogany table top cut to shape, cut out for the clocks and polished, End of the bonnet is from an old copper immersion heater. It passed it's fit for use test, got a registration number and then the MOT less than a month ago.
We had a nice run around and then it rained again. The barbecue was abandoned and we had a civilized meal indoors. That was until some one served my grog from a warm can into a warm glass, that's really is immoral.
No. 1 A tree for the nature lovers but no barbecue.
No. 3 I brought it out of the workshop but no further.
No. 6 Safely home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050253.jpg (428.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P1050118.jpg (410.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1050150.jpg (347.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1050191.jpg (251.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1050182.jpg (376.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P1050208.jpg (345.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-08-2014, 19:43   #9037
Beacon of light

It looks like you had a very enjoyable day Russell.
mobertol likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 19:56   #9038
Senior Member+

Turned out much better than expected Margaret.

He has hair so got the goggles and I got the leather flying helmet.
mobertol likes this.

Last edited by Gremlin; 10-08-2014 at 19:59.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 20:09   #9039
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
We had a hour of sunshine so my cousin got his car out he has built up from scratch based on a three wheel Morgan. Apart from the Guzzi engine and Citroen steering rack and gear box it's all his own work, he even formed the panels. Dash board was on old mahogany table top cut to shape, cut out for the clocks and polished, End of the bonnet is from an old copper immersion heater. It passed it's fit for use test, got a registration number and then the MOT less than a month ago.
We had a nice run around and then it rained again. The barbecue was abandoned and we had a civilized meal indoors. That was until some one served my grog from a warm can into a warm glass, that's really is immoral.
No. 6 Safely home.
What a great car!
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 21:28   #9040
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, a day that warms the cockles. Therefore; be at peace with god, whatever you conceive him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul, with all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world, be cheerful, strive to be happy. (Max Ehrmann 1927).

1. A day Lilly, it won't be here tomorrow.
2. Remembering those that went before their time.
3. Another example of bracts, the flower is the small blue jobby in the middle.
4. Once budgies lived here, now a magnet for cheeky monkeys.
5. Hydrangea giving its "all"
6. It must have been a good turnout, there is candle wax all over the path.
7. It's SPITTING.
8. Memorial Park.
9. Bad hair day.
10. It looks wetter over there than here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1220170.JPG (482.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg _1220191.JPG (449.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg _1220196.JPG (390.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1220213.JPG (492.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg _1220221.jpg (106.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg _1220240.jpg (101.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1220257.JPG (443.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1220276.JPG (475.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1220285.JPG (386.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1220287.JPG (433.2 KB, 7 views)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 22:24   #9041

Yesterday I took my Aunt to the Art Gallery in Burlington. It was a lovely warm sunny day, but a bit too hot for us to walk along the lakeshore. Pity!
Aunty was amused by some of the artworks, as you can see!
Then today, I happened upon a native Canadian ceremonial drum and healing prayer circle. It didn't feel right snapping photos as the participants took it quite seriously, but I managed a couple. It's not easy keeping rhythm with one's drum, swatting mozzies, and trying to do justice to the ceremony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wish we could stop.jpg (291.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Clay pantry.jpg (240.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg clouds.jpg (217.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Vincent.jpg (211.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg courtyard garden.jpg (484.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Eve.jpg (417.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Aunty and Adam.jpg (418.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Clay Dude.jpg (339.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Smudging in.jpg (388.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Drum circle.jpg (386.0 KB, 10 views)
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 23:01   #9042
Senior Member+

Quote:
A selection of pics of Vintage cars which were on display in a nearby village for the opening of a new bar/eatery yesterday evening. A couple of old model Fiat 500's, two 1971 "Herbies", not sure of the other 2 but the burgundy one was another old Fiat I think a name like "Abant"...I'm sure our car enthusiasts will know.
That's the sort of country event I like Dianne.

It's a Fiat Abarth, 500cc engine, really only enough power to run a Horlick's whisk.
Trust me, I took a cousin (sister of mine host today) to buy one but although she said it was "a nice girly car" it struggled going up the hill in Hebden Bridge where she lived so she left it.
I finished up towing it to a scrap yard a year later after my mate bought it and thrashed it until bits of a piston and rod made a quick exit out of side of the engine block.
The little gauge on the dash which had "Oilio" on never seem to want to move off the bottom stop.
mobertol likes this.
Old 11-08-2014, 15:21   #9043
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
No. 6 Safely home.
Gorgoeus tree - looks to be a really nice garden. That car made me think of the nutty Professor in 'Back to the future'! Looks like it was a fun ride out.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-08-2014, 15:23   #9044
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, a day that warms the cockles. Therefore; be at peace with god, whatever you conceive him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul, with all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world, be cheerful, strive to be happy. (Max Ehrmann 1927).

1. A day Lilly, it won't be here tomorrow.
2. Remembering those that went before their time.
3. Another example of bracts, the flower is the small blue jobby in the middle.
4. Once budgies lived here, now a magnet for cheeky monkeys.
5. Hydrangea giving its "all"
6. It must have been a good turnout, there is candle wax all over the path.
7. It's SPITTING.
8. Memorial Park.
9. Bad hair day.
10. It looks wetter over there than here.
Love number three - beautiful detail of the tiny flowers, that's my favourite. The Max Ehrmann motto so smacks of truth - nice one.
davemac likes this.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-08-2014, 15:25   #9045
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Yesterday I took my Aunt to the Art Gallery in Burlington. It was a lovely warm sunny day, but a bit too hot for us to walk along the lakeshore. Pity!
Aunty was amused by some of the artworks, as you can see!
Then today, I happened upon a native Canadian ceremonial drum and healing prayer circle. It didn't feel right snapping photos as the participants took it quite seriously, but I managed a couple. It's not easy keeping rhythm with one's drum, swatting mozzies, and trying to do justice to the ceremony
I love those clouds! Really interesting set of photos - looks like it was a good trip out.
Turtle likes this.

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..