Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2008, 19:38   #1

ATM Security

Received this e-mail today. Don't know if it's legit or not, but if not please don't shoot the messenger. If it is well it was worth posting:

KEEP THIS IN MIND

If you are ever forced by a thief or someone to take money out of an ATM machine, enter your pin number reversed.
So, if your number is 1254 enter 4521. The ATM machine will give you your money, but also automatically recognize this as a plea for help and alert the police unknown to the thief.
This option is in all ATM machines, but not many people know. Please pass this information on to others. No harm in keeping this in mind!

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2008, 19:56   #2
Senior Member+

Re: ATM Security

sorry..........Alert Police Using Reverse PIN Hoax

although aparently it is possible but banks arent interested.nice!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 20:03   #3
God Member

and what if your pin number is say...5555? that just wouldnt work would it?

Sara there are a load of these hoaxes about, i've had lots of emails about them and put them on here only for them to turn out to be false

thankyou for warning us though
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 20:05   #4

Thankyou for not shouting at me. lol

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 20:09   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Thankyou for not shouting at me. lol

who meeeeeeeee? i never shout at anyone lol
Old 17-07-2008, 05:02   #6
God Member

As I programmed ATMs for a couple of years I can tell you straight that its rubbish, also there are a predefined set of numbers that aren't allowed as PINs. all one number is one, consecutive numbers is another.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 07:16   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
As I programmed ATMs for a couple of years I can tell you straight that its rubbish,
it sounds like a good idea that, why did you not program them that way

They could also make it so the pin stopped working 30mins after the emergency pin was put in.
Old 17-07-2008, 07:17   #8
Resident Waffler

Check out this link from Snopes to see why it is never likely to be implemented (last paragraph).

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 07:42   #9
God Member

Because you can have a palindromic PIN so how could someone put it in in reverse? then there is the fact that the minute you put the PIN in the keypad it is encrypted within the keypad and never seen "in clear" again in the bank systems neither is it held in Clear even on our ultra secure mainframes, it would be almost impossible to check whether a reversed PIN had been entered as the encrypted value sent by teh pin entry would be nothing like the encrypted entry on the mainframe and its not allowed to 'decrypt' it at any point.

Secondly, whats the point, they aren't going to stay with you constantly once they have the pin and/or cash so you just call the bank and they cancel it straight away. The daily limit on the card means that at best they are likely to get 2x the daily limit ( usually £300ish) and that is only if they force you to withdraw at 5 to midnight and then get another lot at 5 past. you are protected against this by your banks fraud guarantee.

Thirdly and this is important the rules of this are laid down by a group set up between Visa Mastercard and Eurocard and regulated by the FSA so the Banks themselves can't do it without their agreement.

Old 17-07-2008, 08:43   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Because you can have a palindromic PIN so how could someone put it in in reverse? then there is the fact that the minute you put the PIN in the keypad it is encrypted within the keypad and never seen "in clear" again in the bank systems neither is it held in Clear even on our ultra secure mainframes, it would be almost impossible to check whether a reversed PIN had been entered as the encrypted value sent by teh pin entry would be nothing like the encrypted entry on the mainframe and its not allowed to 'decrypt' it at any point.
good word!!!
means the same backwards and forwards for anyone that didnt already know..... like the word 'anna' and Tylers dob, 10.11.01

see, I'm smart as well

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 17-07-2008, 09:02   #11
God Member

Do I win a prize for using it?

Old 17-07-2008, 09:07   #12
Senior Member+

No, do i win a prize for knowing what it means?

Old 23-07-2008, 19:16   #13
God Member

Well the pin bit might not be true but most of this is

MALE VS. FEMALE AT THE ATM MACHINE

A new sign in the Bank Lobby reads:

'Please note that this Bank is installing new Drive-through ATM machines enabling customers to withdraw cash without leaving their vehicles.

Customers using this new facility are requested to use the procedures outlined below when accessing their accounts.

After months of careful research, MALE & FEMALE Procedures have been developed. Please follow the Appropriate steps for your gender.'

MALE PROCEDURE:
1. Drive up to the cash machine.
2. Put down your car window.
3. Insert card into machine and enter PIN.
4. Enter amount of cash required and withdraw.
5. Retrieve card, cash and receipt.
6. Put window up.
7. Drive off.

FEMALE PROCEDURE:
What is really funny is that most of this part is the Truth.!!!!

1. Drive up to cash machine.
2. Reverse and back up the required amount to align car window with the machine.
3. Set parking brake, put the window down.
4. Find handbag, remove all contents on to passenger seat to locate card.
5. Tell person on cell phone you will call them back and hang up.
6. Attempt to insert card into machine.
7. Open car door to allow easier access to machine due to its excessive distance from the car.
8. Insert card.
9. Re-insert card the right way.
10. Dig through handbag to find diary with your PIN written on the inside back page.
11. Enter PIN.
12. Press cancel and re-enter correct PIN.
13. Enter amount of cash required.
14. Check makeup in rear view mirror.
15. Retrieve cash and receipt.
16. Empty handbag again to locate wallet and place cash inside.
17. Write debit amount in check register and place receipt in back of checkbook.
18. Re-check makeup.
19. Drive forward 2 feet.
20. Reverse back to cash machine.
21. Retrieve card.
22. Re-empty hand bag, locate card holder, and place card into the slot provided!
23. Give dirty look to irate male driver waiting behind you.
24. Restart stalled engine and pull off.
25. Redial person on cell phone.
26. Drive for 2 to 3 miles.
27. Release Parking Brake.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 19:59   #14
God Member

heh, you jest about drive through ATMs but Barclays does actually have one. teh best bit is that due to teh Disability discrimination act it has to have Braile markings on all the slots etc just like all our 'normal' ones.....

Old 23-07-2008, 20:34   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
the best bit is that due to teh Disability discrimination act it has to have Braile markings on all the slots etc just like all our 'normal' ones.....

I don't believe it has to have just that it will be a standard machine or Barclays are too stupid or more like to scared to not have the braille on it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..