Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2008, 10:46   #1

Kill or not to Kill - Cats

I have a situation, and frankly its really troubling me.
My garden is constantly used as a public toilet for cats, and as you know its not very nice seeing as i have children who want to play in the garden.
My eldest son nearly always comes in the house saying "I have cat poo on my ball again".
I ( im sorry for saying ) hate cats. And this is the reason why.

So, does anyone know any good ways to prevent cats from crapping in my garden. because im VERY tempted to buy an air rifle.

I love Jaffa Cakes!!

All Hail evil Gloworm!!!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") into your signature to help him gain world domination.

I sometimes lay down at night and stare at the stars and its then i realise.. SOMEONE'S STOLE MY ROOF!!!

I'm always amazed when I hear people saying; "That GORDON BROWN, he's a great leader". And I wonder, where can one find a drug that would make one so delusional?
danny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2008, 11:25   #2
God Member

Re: Kill or not to Kill - Cats

We have a similar problem in our garden, you could get a large pump action water pistol, cats hate water, failing that we bought a sonic deterrent which does work, also lion poo from garden centres is supposed to be effective, though haven't tried that personally.
Old 15-07-2008, 11:28   #3

Lion Poo...Hmmm, well im off to blackpool zoo next week so maybe i could have a word lol

Saying that...there still be more cack in the garden for the kids to fall on and stuff.
Cat cacka has something in it that causes blindness which is whats more concerning, seeing as my 2yr old wont stay off the grass. Then again, why should he, its his garden to play on, not for cats to foul, and thats what's twisting my nipples.

Pump action water gun or Air rifle...i think i'll pick whichever is more effective lol

Cheers

I love Jaffa Cakes!!

All Hail evil Gloworm!!!

(\__/)

I sometimes lay down at night and stare at the stars and its then i realise.. SOMEONE'S STOLE MY ROOF!!!

I'm always amazed when I hear people saying; "That GORDON BROWN, he's a great leader". And I wonder, where can one find a drug that would make one so delusional?
Old 15-07-2008, 11:31   #4
God Member

One tip would be to try and keep your grass short, cats prefer long grass, well the ones near me do. Yeah its a real problem when you have kids, try the water first though because you cant get in trouble for that, good luck.
Old 15-07-2008, 11:40   #5
God Member

We had a thread with plenty of advice here-
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...b-y-24916.html

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 12:39   #6

oh i dont know, if they dont see me shoot them then who's to know? lol
Anyway,i dont want to kill em, i just want to warn them off.

I love Jaffa Cakes!!

All Hail evil Gloworm!!!

(\__/)

Old 15-07-2008, 12:44   #7
Senior Member+

Get yourself a dog that hates cats (works for us) but you will have to clean dog poo up instead, or a garden sprinkler system cats hate water
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 12:45   #8

Bear trap...that should work shouldnt it lol
Good idea jacky, not sure whether the missus will allow it though lol

I love Jaffa Cakes!!

All Hail evil Gloworm!!!

(\__/)

Old 15-07-2008, 13:51   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny27 View Post
Bear trap...that should work shouldnt it lol
Good idea jacky, not sure whether the missus will allow it though lol
Or get yourself a bear .... then nothing or no one will come near your place.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 14:38   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny27 View Post
My eldest son nearly always comes in the house saying "I have cat poo on my ball again".

Although I'm a cat lover and cat owner I appreciate how annoying it must be having your garden used as a loo. Just one thing bothers me, though, with what you say here. It's normal for cats to bury their poo, they're usually quite meticulous about it and spend ages covering it up. I wonder why they aren't doing that?

Anyway, you can buy a sort of "pepper" to sprinkle on where they are pooing. It doesn't harm plants but cats and dogs don't like it and I believe it's quite cheap and available at Garden Centres. Lion dung is, by all accounts, great for the job but I bet it pongs something rotten.
Old 15-07-2008, 14:40   #11

Cats are not supposed to like orange peel either so you could try putting some of that down as well.
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 17:04   #12
Yank in King Art's Court!

I have always found a BB gun works well with wandering pets. Or, I could ship over a nice black snake for ya. That'll keep everything out of the yard.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 17:50   #13
Resident Waffler

Try those black cat silhouettes. If they think there is another cat watching them they may keep away, or a lemonade bottle on its side half full of water. The pepper stuff has never worked for me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 18:13   #14
God Member

I've never heard of the lemonade bottle Willow, hows that supposed to work? I still sometimes have a problem out front.
The cat that visits our front lawn never burries its poo, its a big Tom cat, someone told me that Toms never do, dont know if its true or not.
Old 15-07-2008, 18:34   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
I have always found a BB gun works well with wandering pets. Or, I could ship over a nice black snake for ya. That'll keep everything out of the yard.

Brian
And to go along with the snake, we have a surplus of Fishers But I would go for the water gun ... harmless, but cats hate them. Save the more draconian measures for the irresponsible owners of the offending animals
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..