Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 18:50   #1

Leaking central heating pipe

Hi,

Just had the central heating on for the first time for a prolonged time and I have discovered that a pipe going to the radiator in the kitchen is leaking slowly just before the valve. I was going to just try and tighten it, however I have heard that can cause more damage. If it needs more than that I expect I'll need to drain the system etc. I've never done that before so it anyone who knows a good plumber who won't rip me off for that job I'd love to hear from you

Any advice?

Thanks,

James
jrenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-10-2008, 18:55   #2
God Member

Re: Leaking central heating pipe

If you take the cap off the valve, you may find that it is the stuffing box, there will be a nut at the bottom of the valve spindle, nip it up a tad, if not, nip the bottom valve nut a tad. Good, FREE advice from a genuine plumber, please dont tar us all with the same brush.
Old 04-10-2008, 18:56   #3
Senior Member+

pm derek gas..
that will be amongst his talents given the job he is qualified to do and does..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 18:57   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
If you take the cap off the valve, you may find that it is the stuffing box, there will be a nut at the bottom of the valve spindle, nip it up a tad, if not, nip the bottom valve nut a tad. Good, FREE advice from a genuine plumber, please dont tar us all with the same brush.
cant believe I posted my comment about contacting you as you were replying to her...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 19:02   #5

Quote:
Thanks a lot for that advice I'll take a look at that. Sorry, I didn't mean all plumbers are rip off merchants at all, but it's hard to tell who is good or bad when going through the yellow pages.
Old 04-10-2008, 19:22   #6

I've had a look at the valve and I can't see how to get the cap off, it's the one with the control on top. The nut at the bottom won't budge either.
Old 04-10-2008, 19:40   #7

sorry I'm an idiot the cap came off easily, I've given it a tweak will see what happens when the heating is next on.
Old 04-10-2008, 20:57   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenshaw View Post
I've had a look at the valve and I can't see how to get the cap off, it's the one with the control on top. The nut at the bottom won't budge either.
Attached is a drawing I sent my daughter in London who was having a similar problem, overtightening gland nuts when they are hot, can make them near impossible to undo when cold.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Project1.jpg (170.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-10-2008 at 20:59.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 21:09   #9
God Member

Have sent a pm!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:58   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Attached is a drawing I sent my daughter in London who was having a similar problem, overtightening gland nuts when they are hot, can make them near impossible to undo when cold.
Retlaw.
New valves are only £2 at screwfix, better quality ones are £6.50.

I agree though that ptfe tape is a good quick fix.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:01   #11

Thanks all for the advice, my spanners are the wrong size, so I'll have a go at this later on after going to homebase or somewhere for PTFE tape and the right size spanner! :-)
Old 05-10-2008, 09:27   #12
God Member

If you need to buy stuff, I can lend you the right spanners and give you ptfe, my mobile is on the website, will be around most of the day.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:46   #13

Quote:
If you need to buy stuff, I can lend you the right spanners and give you ptfe, my mobile is on the website, will be around most of the day.
Thats really a very kind offer and much appreciated - top man. I feel a bit cheeky about that, I'm going to see what I can borrow from my dad first.
Old 05-10-2008, 15:07   #14

Well I've had a go now with the PTFE tape and the heating has been on for 20 minutes and there isn't a drop out of it. So I'm hoping it's fixed, so thankyou very much Retlaw and derek.
Old 05-10-2008, 15:25   #15
God Member

Well done, wont leak while the heating is on, have another look when it cools down, if there is still no leak, seems you have cracked it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..