Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 21:56   #31

Re: Perfect Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Make sure you wash it well before cooking , get rid of all the loose starch particles , was once told by an old Mama-San it should be washed/rinsed 7 times (once for each sea) before cooking .
Basmati for Chinese/Indian food and Arborio for Spanish (Paella) /Italian food, forget the long grain enriched processed stuff only good use for that is wallpaper paste
I'm with you on washing rice well before cooking. The amount of crud that can come off into water is truly scary. I dont want that murky, murky solution anywhere near my delicate intestines.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2008, 22:53   #32
I am Banned

yep the above post is similar to what i do - i let the rice soak for half an hour before cooking and then rinse really well - the startch makes it gloopy

also i found it such a trial to make egg fried rice because you have to cook it and let it cool and even then it never turned out right
so now i buy the packets of uncle bens microwave rice (plain not the egg fried type its naff)
and instead of microwaving it i fry it up with some eggs and a bit of soy sauce and you get perfect egg fried rice so theres another tip for you x
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 22:11   #33
God Member

interesting article on cooking rice from yesterdays NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/di...s&st=cse&scp=1
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 20:51   #34

I was once told by a chef that putting a drop of cooking oil in stops it going all stodgy/sticking together.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 00:37   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
I was once told by a chef that putting a drop of cooking oil in stops it going all stodgy/sticking together.
Rinsing it several times stops it going stodgy a drop of oil stops it sticking.
Same with Pasta.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:52   #36

Rice cookers are the way to go, just rinse your rice, put it in cooker and forget about it. this comes from a person that burns water.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 13:05   #37
Resting in Peace

I always put a knob of butter in my packet rice whilst cooking .. gives it a more moist taste. Then, LOL, I like to cover it in Worcester Sauce and Soy Sauce. Ah well, everyone to their own taste ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:49   #38

Just cut the corner at the top of the packet, place in microwave for 5 mins. ding it's ready
vicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 20:54   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky1 View Post
Just cut the corner at the top of the packet, place in microwave for 5 mins. ding it's ready
Thats the way I prefer to do it too
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 23:51   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Thats the way I prefer to do it too
She's got lazy in her old age - What's your excuse.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..