Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2010, 13:13   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Do you remember old remedies bought from the chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I used to do my own Photographic developing and printing in black & white and later on in colour even did my own slides.
my grandfather was a founder member of the Preston camera club
he had a lot of very old negatives ie Preston guild 1902 on glass
he had a book of recipes for his own developers that i used to use
and there was a chemist on New Hall Lane in Preston called McLaughlin's he was into developing his own photos too so he would supply the chemicals needed including Potassium Fer cyanide .

My dad did his own photographic developing too ,but he used to get his supplies from Waltons........ a photgraphic shop at the top end of Abbey street....next to the sweet shop and not far from the methodist Church....don't know if anyone remembers it now. I am going back a long long time....over 50 years.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2010, 13:17   #17
Senior Member+

Although a sweet rather than a medicine, I remember locists. They were something like a small banana with a most unusual taste. Possibly there were a dried fruit. I haven't seen or heard of them since 1952. I suspect they might have been something which was imported at a time when sweets were on ration. Please will somebody tell me about them.I bought them in a shop in Annie Street near the bridge over the railway near to St Joseph's church. I wonder if they still have them in stock?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 13:17   #18
Senior Member+

Sorry - a typo. Should be locusts - as in the insect .
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 13:55   #19

When sweets were on ration I used to get Victory V Lozenges which were not rationed. Also Milk of Magnesia tablets which were quite squishy.Also there was a stick of liquorish which tasted quite nice when chewed.Us kids did not let a bit of rationing get us down.
Judith Addison likes this.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 14:40   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
When sweets were on ration I used to get Victory V Lozenges which were not rationed. Also Milk of Magnesia tablets which were quite squishy.Also there was a stick of liquorish which tasted quite nice when chewed.Us kids did not let a bit of rationing get us down.
I have recently rediscovered that liquorice taste - liquorice root teabags - identical to the taste of those woody sticks we used to chew and suck.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 14:54   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My dad did his own photographic developing too ,but he used to get his supplies from Waltons........ a photgraphic shop at the top end of Abbey street....next to the sweet shop and not far from the methodist Church....don't know if anyone remembers it now. I am going back a long long time....over 50 years.
"Waltons" photographic shop top end of Abbey St, can't recall Waltons being up there.
The nearest Methodist Church was in Barnes St.
50 years ago I used to get my photographic materials from Garth Dawson.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 15:01   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Although a sweet rather than a medicine, I remember locists. They were something like a small banana with a most unusual taste. Possibly there were a dried fruit. I haven't seen or heard of them since 1952. I suspect they might have been something which was imported at a time when sweets were on ration. Please will somebody tell me about them.I bought them in a shop in Annie Street near the bridge over the railway near to St Joseph's church. I wonder if they still have them in stock?
Them Locusts were actually Locust Beans still in the pod, they were dried.
Look a bit like runner pean pods, but the ones we grow in this country, when the pod dries the pod goes like paper & the beans fall out.
They could be still around, but thad av to search thinternet for um.
Retlaw.
Old 26-08-2010, 15:32   #23
Beacon of light

the Methodist church I referred to Retlaw was the Wesley Methodist Church in nearby Spring Gardens.

I remember getting Locust beans in Lucky bags when I was a little girl......I liked them then......but tried them in Spain many years later and found them to taste horrible.
They feed them to the livestock in Spain.
They are also known as Carob beans and are used in the manufacture of ersatz chocolate.
Old 26-08-2010, 15:33   #24
Beacon of light

I know, I know...I need to get a life!
Old 26-08-2010, 19:05   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
the Methodist church I referred to Retlaw was the Wesley Methodist Church in nearby Spring Gardens.

I remember getting Locust beans in Lucky bags when I was a little girl......I liked them then......but tried them in Spain many years later and found them to taste horrible.
They feed them to the livestock in Spain.
They are also known as Carob beans and are used in the manufacture of ersatz chocolate.
Why the eck didn'ti set Weslyans itut fost place.
Thur wur all suorts o God botherers in thad area, wod wi Swedenborgs i Abbey St, Calvanists i Chapel St, un yon other lot i Oauk street.
Thur wur near as many o them botherers as thur were pubs at one time.

Retlaw.
Old 26-08-2010, 20:33   #26
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Why the eck didn'ti set Weslyans itut fost place.
Thur wur all suorts o God botherers in thad area, wod wi Swedenborgs i Abbey St, Calvanists i Chapel St, un yon other lot i Oauk street.
Thur wur near as many o them botherers as thur were pubs at one time.

Retlaw.
Retlaw, to me a methodist is a methodist, whether it be wesleyan or otherwise....speaking of pubs, there was one of those close by Waltons too...was it the Red Lion? I can't really remember, I wasn't old enough to sup anything stronger than dandelion and burdock.
Old 26-08-2010, 21:02   #27
God Member

What was the stuff that they gave to kids , came in a small bottle with a tapering neck , the contents used to settle into three levels and colours, needed shaking up before use, think one of the contents was just a raspberry flavouring , my Grandma used to warm it up in front of the fire before dosing me.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 21:07   #28
God Member

you can still buy licorice root.... (the woody stuff you refer to)

spanish water, can i ask is it what i think it is, corporation pop in a bottle with a chunck of "spanish" aka licorice...... shoo up regularly to inbibe the flavour throughout?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 21:47   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Retlaw, to me a methodist is a methodist, whether it be wesleyan or otherwise....speaking of pubs, there was one of those close by Waltons too...was it the Red Lion? I can't really remember, I wasn't old enough to sup anything stronger than dandelion and burdock.
Reight, bud thi wur still god bothurers, any way next tut Red Lion wur a shu shop tha went deaun sum steps tu ged in, big frunt windu on Abbey St, then two shops wi a commun entrunce shop dours wur set back abeaut 4 fuut fray frunt, then anuther shop, then a ginnal that led tu sum steps, witch went down a fur way to a house at the bottom, lad a knu lived thear, bud a caerned remember is name.
Next wurt Wesley, thad wur knocked deawn in 1966.

I'd like to know what happened to their War Memorial.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-08-2010 at 21:49.
Old 27-08-2010, 07:57   #30
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
spanish water, can i ask is it what i think it is, corporation pop in a bottle with a chunck of "spanish" aka licorice...... shoo up regularly to inbibe the flavour throughout?

Spot on there entwisi........a ha'penny liquorice stick(the bitter hard stuff) was broken up into bits and put in the bottom of the medicine bottle....filled up with tap water...cork replaced and then shook like billyho.
It used to get a frothy yeallowish head on it, and got better the further down the bottle you supped.......the liquorice lay at the bottom in a congealed mess......we used to knock on doors to get the lady of the house to refill our bottle with water.
This, and a penny hovis loaf and we could play in Bullough Park all day....only returning home at teatime. No wonder we were thin.
Those were the days.
Judith Addison likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..