Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2010, 17:06   #211

Re: What did you watch when you was a nipper?

oh dear Jaysay - you've got me into trouble again - I never meant to offend you but apparently I did and after your report to the super moderator he has told me to cool it -
so it's a stand off - go well mate
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-07-2010, 07:08   #212
God Member

the thing about the 1960s "All our Yesterdays " was it was only showing stuff 25 years old ... (historical stuff to us kids at the time ) if they did a program like that today it would be 1985 ......not really history to me or other "coffin dodgers" , wondered what our parents/grandparents generation thought of the program
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 16:19   #213

well steelie - they projected that 'in the future' we would only have to take a tablet to supplement our diet - so no need for food! - in actual fact it has been the opposite - the Western world face a health crisis for obesity - hence the onslaught of diabetes type 2 -
at the time I thought the programme was quite innovative - time proved otherwise - you can hark back to Nostradamus who (in the same vein) thought he could 'see' into the future - unfortuanetly another charlaton - I say leave it to the scientific pioneers who because of their strict discipline of PROOF will (only slowly) show us the way.
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 18:10   #214
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember it Stumped, think it used to be on around 6pm on a Saturday night, always opened with a shot of Alexandra Place with the TV antenna on top with air waves radiating from it, can remember the music though

Just found this on Wiki

In Town Tonight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or maybe this is better

In Town Tonight
You've got me stirring the old grey matter, Jaysay. I too recall a program that started with the pulsing radio mast at Alexandra Palace, but no matter how much I stir, I can't for what's left of the life in me come up with the name of the program. Could it have been ITN news?
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 18:14   #215
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
You've got me stirring the old grey matter, Jaysay. I too recall a program that started with the pulsing radio mast at Alexandra Palace, but no matter how much I stir, I can't for what's left of the life in me come up with the name of the program. Could it have been ITN news?
It could just have been the introduction for a show like Whats my Line or This is your life Stumped
Old 20-07-2010, 18:28   #216
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
just a guess but was it "That Was The Week That Was" the owd Bernard Braden programme?
Old 20-07-2010, 18:54   #217
Resting in Peace

Quote:
This is quite interesting Stumped

BBC TV from AP
Old 20-07-2010, 19:08   #218
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just a guess but was it "That Was The Week That Was" the owd Bernard Braden programme?
am going senile, twas David Frost not Braden.
Old 20-07-2010, 19:23   #219

Cassius Clay in the early hours of the morning, with a blanket over our heads because the reception was so bad, who would he have been fighting? early sixties, a big fight and he won,
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 19:26   #220
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
Cassius Clay in the early hours of the morning, with a blanket over our heads because the reception was so bad, who would he have been fighting? early sixties, a big fight and he won,
Sonny Liston? that was 64, when clay won world title.

Last edited by cashman; 20-07-2010 at 19:29.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 22:28   #221
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
As Cashy says if it was early hours would have been Sonny Liston in '64.. or could have been Henry Cooper in '63 ?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 22:32   #222
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
As Cashy says if it was early hours would have been Sonny Liston in '64.. or could have been Henry Cooper in '63 ?
Don't think the cooper fight was early hours mancie as it was in uk, if i remember right.
Old 20-07-2010, 22:43   #223
God Member

Quote:
Don't think the cooper fight was early hours mancie as it was in uk, if i remember right.
That's right..was a bit to young to see any of them..I was more into "Hectors House".. it's only in recent years I discovered that Jaysay played the lead role.. silly old Hector.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 06:30   #224

It was BBC TV News & Newsreel that had the Ally Pally transmitter on its intro.

davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 08:52   #225
Resting in Peace

Quote:
am going senile, twas David Frost not Braden.
What do ya mean going

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..