Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2010, 08:54   #226
Resting in Peace

Re: What did you watch when you was a nipper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
It was BBC TV News & Newsreel that had the Ally Pally transmitter on its intro.

Your a star Man Dave
Old 21-07-2010, 08:56   #227
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
That's right..was a bit to young to see any of them..I was more into "Hectors House".. it's only in recent years I discovered that Jaysay played the lead role.. silly old Hector.
Thats rich coming from Bill and Ben's mate, no no not the Gardener, the Little Weeeeeed
Old 21-07-2010, 19:19   #228

'64 it must have been the one I remember but sure I saw all the big fights. It was in the early hours cause mum gave him hell for getting me up. Sonny Liston..... what happened to him after that?
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 19:35   #229
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
'64 it must have been the one I remember but sure I saw all the big fights. It was in the early hours cause mum gave him hell for getting me up. Sonny Liston..... what happened to him after that?
he fought ali/clay again after- lost, had a few more fights n died december 30th 1970, rumours still persist about the cause.
Old 21-07-2010, 19:41   #230
God Member

I loved the Test Card.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 20:06   #231

Which was your favourite ?

The Test Card Gallery
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 20:47   #232
God Member

The real one. The rot set in when the BBC introduced that silly card with the kid and her rag doll. It's been downhill ever since.
Old 23-07-2010, 19:11   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
he fought ali/clay again after- lost, had a few more fights n died december 30th 1970, rumours still persist about the cause.
What were the rumours?
Old 23-07-2010, 19:17   #234
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
What were the rumours?
Traces of heroin found in blood, inquest only "Implied" Heart Attack, which seems odd to me.
Old 23-07-2010, 20:35   #235

Quote:
Traces of heroin found in blood, inquest only "Implied" Heart Attack, which seems odd to me.
gosh it's hard to believe that. In them days fights were fixed weren't they, sure they still are
Old 24-07-2010, 08:44   #236
Resting in Peace

Quote:
gosh it's hard to believe that. In them days fights were fixed weren't they, sure they still are
Not at that level or any level for that matter kikine, too many pre and post fight tests now
Old 25-07-2010, 17:39   #237
Full Member+

Have me mentioned the early Quatermas series? As an impressionable teenager I recall being scared sh**less by the contents of a huge globe featured in one particular episode. The first series depicted an astronaut returning from space and turning into a cactus by a fungal growth. There have been films and remakes since, but none ever matched the suspense of original(s).
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 19:04   #238
God Member

I loved the old black and white Sherlock Holmes films, with the part played by Basil Rathbone MC. No cinematic or small screen portrayal has yet come anywhere near his definitive interpretation of Conan Doyle's great detective. Nevertheless, the BBC have just spent an awful lot of money on their latest version of Holmes and in about an hours time we shall see the results. All I know is the setting is no longer late Victorian London but today's multi-cultural garbage bin.

I can only await what trendy mess they will make of this. No doubt Doctor Watson will be a black lesbian but probably in paying lip service to the original books she will be suffering post-traumatic stress syndrome as a result of her service in Britains 4th Afgan War. Holmes, will of course, be a druggie - this time on Ectasy and the Met Police will be incapable of detecting and arresting villians because they spend their time beating up. killing and shooting innocent bystanders.

Needless to say, I shall switch this on but I shall have the vomit bucket at the ready. I anticipate no more than five minutes of this nonsense before the said utensil is used and then the contents thrown over the TV, at which point I'm off down the pub.
Old 25-07-2010, 20:30   #239
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well gotta say T, i tried it n didn't last the 5 mins.
Old 25-07-2010, 20:58   #240
Super Moderator

Quote:
well gotta say T, i tried it n didn't last the 5 mins.
Me, too, as a great devotee of the original stories, I consider it sacrilege. Sir Arthur must be spinning!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..