Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2006, 20:16   #31
Senior Member+

Re: What Films Impressed You?

Please don't mention Roadhouse. That bit where they were being naughty against the wall!! I so love Patrick Swayze. In fact, 'im indoors and I did think about phoning in to see if they would do a swop!
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2006, 01:45   #32
God Member

a toss-up between, Judgement at Nuremberg, Breakfast at Tiffanys or Who's afraid of Virgina Wolfe
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 03:00   #33
I am Banned

has to be starwars for me it was teh first film i ever saw at the cinema and i have been hooked on the starwars films ever since
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 06:48   #34

for me it has to be the 1953 film "A NIGHT TO REMEMBER" starring kenneth more and honar blackman, about the sinking of the TITANIC,:engsmil:
kerrie l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 07:33   #35
Super Moderator

"The Big Sleep", Raymond Chandler's finest novel, brought to life by an excellent cast including Bogart and Bacall at their best. Truly timeless!
Old 25-07-2006, 16:46   #36
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: What Films Impressed You?

A good film is one that you can watch once or twice, whilst a great film is one that you can watch over and over and over. Like these:
War films that are as close to reality as you can get without actually having a war have to be “In Which We Serve” made in 1942 and “The Cruel Sea” made in 1953.

For musicals it has to be “The Jolson Story” and “Jolson Sings Again” plus “The Benny Goodman Story” and “The Glen Miller Story”.

Treasure Island with Robert (Arrggh! Jim lad!) Newton is a great kids adventure film.

For comedy it has to be Laurel and Hardy and Buster Keaton.

The Ealing Studios films like Passport To Pimlico and the Lady Killers are classics.

The original “War Of The Worlds” is a classic sci fi.

“The Jungle Book” the full length cartoon is watchable by all ages.

Mystery thrillers have to be the Hitchcock classics.

Westerns - well there is only one John Wayne.

Most of the films since the Hollywood heydays are good films but few are as memorable. Terminator II for its special effects long before CGI was about is one. Good story too.

With nothing interesting on telly tonight I’m having a double feature. Start with a Tom & Jerry cartoon then Way Out West with L & H and then The Jolson Story.

Ice cream and iced lollies will be served during the interval.
Old 25-07-2006, 17:17   #37

films that impressed, hmm...

in no particular order and with plenty of omissions

Donnie Darko, Star Wars, The Breakfast Club, Superman II, Batman, Terminator 1 and 2, Soldier, Cruel Intentions, King Kong (the original not the recent remake), Metropolis (with the pop music soundtrack), all 3 Lord of the Rings movies...

These are all films I can watch and rewatch, and indeed have done many times most recently the 3 LotR movies extended editions of course
sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 18:47   #38
God Member

a recent German movie called Downfall , about the final days in the bunker ..... may not appeal to some older people as it is in German with sub-titles
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 19:33   #39

I like lots of different types of films. I love westerns to this day, and really like the black and white ones we sometimes get to view on TV these days. Here are some of my favourites by category:-

Musicals: Calamity Jane, with Doris Day. Oklahoma, Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae. White Christmas, Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.

Bio's: The Glen Miller Story, with June Allyson and James Stewart.

Feel Good: Dave, with Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline

Westerns: Just loved the old Roy Rogers Movies, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry etc. which takes me back to my Saturday mornings at the Odeon.
I liked, The Tall Men with Jane Russel and Clark Gable. I have to say some of the modern made for TV westerns with Robert Duval are great. Lonesome Dove, Broken Trail and Open Range are all excellent.

War: A Bridge Too Far with stars too numerous to mention coming out of the woodwork.

Kitchen Sink: One of my all-time favourites which I have watched many times, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning with the great Albert Finney.

Courtroom Drama: A Few Good Men, with Tom Cruise, Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon and the fantastic Jack Nickolson.

Children's Adventure: Mentioned earlier in the thread by someone, Jambutty I think, Treasure Island (1950) with Robert Newton and Bobby Driscol. I actually have this on CD. I bought it so my grandchildren (and I, of course) could enjoy it as I did when I was a child. I showed it to my 10 year old grand-daughter last year and she thought it was great. I recently purchased, on ebay, the book of the film which I also had as a child. The book has many stills from the film in it. My grandchildren will be able to read the book now as well.

Horror: The Shining, again the brilliant Jack Nickolson. The Exorcist.

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 25-07-2006 at 19:36.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 21:51   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
That was one hell of a picture ..i have watched it about 6 times.. oh that EVIL guard ,, i would so easilly have put HIM in that chair with no water on his head,,,
It left a deep impression as does most of Steven Kings films
Borrowed this film off a friend the other week G-C, after all respect all your opinions on here.

Yes, started out to be a good film, Tom Hanks submitting reasonable performance and that big black guy .. wow !!.
Then got to the bit where he graps Tom's 'you know what's" and this gold dust spewing into/outta' his mouth, and, hey presto, he is cured of a bladder infection he has been suffering for months !!

At this point, thought .. humph what a load of rubbish, then remembered was a Stephen King story, so all became clear .... enjoyed every minute of the rest of it.

Bit like thinking you are eating an apple and is really a pear so tastes horrid, then realised is a pear, so tastes excellent .. Ok ...I'm drifting into the abyss
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 10:11   #41
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: What Films Impressed You?

Saturday mornings at the Odeon was a must for most kids. The one thing that always puzzled me was during a fight and maybe falling off a cliff into a river, the hero always managed to keep his hat on. Now how did he do that?

Jane Russell was the first screen love of my life and we honoured her by playing Jane Russell pontoon at school. You know – instead of 21 bust it was 38 bust!
Old 26-07-2006, 12:54   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

soldier blue for me,enjoyed all the westerns etc john wayne blah,blah, when i was young, but the release of soldier blue really struck home as to how the indians were really treated, the old films tend to make out they were evil savages, this film portrayed the cavalry were no angels.
Old 26-07-2006, 18:57   #43
Foreign Correspondent

IIn no particular ordr.....

From childhood:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Music Man
A Night at the Opera
Singing in the Rain

More recent:
The Princess Bride
Young Frankenstein
Some Like it Hot (not recent, but didn't see it until later in life)
Shakespeare in Love

That's just a handful. I have plenty of other favorites.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 20:37   #44
Beacon of light

James Stewart in 'A Wonderful Life'.........And Carousel STILL makes me cry....I think I am turning into an old softie.
I am not much of a one for films........I'm too 'antsy'....and there are some films mentioned on here that I have never seen.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 20:40   #45
Beacon of light

I did see 'Soldier Blue'.....many years ago, didn't much like it. I don't want to be educated when I watch a film, I want to be entertained, have my ribs tickled, be transported out of my ordinary mundane life into something perhaps a little better....so, no, Soldier Blue didn't float my boat at all.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..