Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2006, 00:46   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: What Films Impressed You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I did see 'Soldier Blue'.....many years ago, didn't much like it. I don't want to be educated when I watch a film, I want to be entertained, have my ribs tickled, be transported out of my ordinary mundane life into something perhaps a little better....so, no, Soldier Blue didn't float my boat at all.
think perhaps i may have felt the same margaret if i,d had your old job? enough reality in that i think. i to have an ordinary life but i dont regard it as mundane- i love it, but to each his own. ive had enough entertainment in my working life been lucky that way so i love reality/history etc.
Old 29-07-2006, 16:05   #47

2001 a Space Odessy - came out at the time when I was deep into Sci-Fi reading & watching - I actually understood it - although it baffled all my mates

I agree Sodier Blue !! gutwrenching but honest

Breaking Glass with Hazel O'Connor

Alien ! for the effects

and how come no-ones mentioned Lassie
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 21:16   #48
Yank in King Art's Court!

When I was a kid I really liked the Tarzan movies with Johnny Weismueller, as well as Zulu and Bridge Over the River Kwai.

More recently really like Braveheart, Glory, Gettysburg, The Patriot, and the Waterboy.

Petrified of Horror movies (even the commercials can freak me out!)

BEA

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 12:47   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc
2001 a Space Odessy - came out at the time when I was deep into Sci-Fi reading & watching - I actually understood it - although it baffled all my mates

I agree Sodier Blue !! gutwrenching but honest

Breaking Glass with Hazel O'Connor

Alien ! for the effects

and how come no-ones mentioned Lassie
I never understood 2001. Perhaps you can explain it for us?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 13:07   #50
God Member

Turns out I've already answered this thread on page 1 so ignore this post.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 23:25   #51
Senior Member+

for me it would have to be stand by me,what a fantastic film,my second fave is a toss up between the green mile and see no evil hear no evil
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 16:06   #52

I remember sneakly watching Die Hard when I was little, and that is absolutely one of my fave films of all time! And Bruce Willis absolutely does it for me too! Oh and Christian Slater in True Romance, also a fave film of mine! Phew, gonna have to go and have a cold shower now...
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 14:58   #53
I am Banned

rocky 6

serioulsy thought it was going to be a pile of dung but surprisingly better than the rest of them apart from rocky 1

watched it xmas day after dinner with friends and the whole room was up cheering and realy getting into the fight

mind you most of rockys fight have that effect i remember going to teh cinema to see rocky 4 and everyone was stood up cheering rocky on when he started to smack teh russian guy about lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 15:19   #54
Senior Member+

I sat and watched Memoirs Of A Geisha the other night. Really enjoyed it.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 15:28   #55
God Member

Me and my sis and her partner were sat down waiting for tea to cook and i'd flicked through sky and came across White Christmas near enough at the end but we still sat and watched it. Sisters partner said he'd never seen White Christmas he'd watched Holiday Inn. So she is now going to borrow mum's dvd of White Christmas to educate him we were sat there singing along with all the songs we've seen it so many times it was one of mums favourite films because it had bing in. She said it isnt a patch though on a wonderful life i said i've never seen it my sister then told me off and so last night she sat me down after turkey curry and we watched A wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart etc. Never watched it before ive read about it but never seen it so i knew about Clarence etc. Anway watched it drinking a baileys and another baileys and thought it was ok will probably see it again. And by the time we'd finished watching it sis wasnt able to bring me home so had to get a taxi!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 18:59   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
rocky 6

serioulsy thought it was going to be a pile of dung but surprisingly better than the rest of them apart from rocky 1

watched it xmas day after dinner with friends and the whole room was up cheering and realy getting into the fight

mind you most of rockys fight have that effect i remember going to teh cinema to see rocky 4 and everyone was stood up cheering rocky on when he started to smack teh russian guy about lol
Amazing that the DVD/Video is available so soon , since its still playing in the movie houses, must be that you have different copyright laws in the UK
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 19:02   #57

My personal selections by genre:

"Westerns" -- listed alphabetically accompanied by selected reviews:

Dances with Wolves:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099348/

Lonesome Dove:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...maculate-books

Soldier Blue:
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...eviews_rssfeed

Son of the Morning Star:
http://www.destgulch.com/movies/sms/

The Wild Bunch:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065214/

Ulzana's Raid:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069436/

I grew up (in Burnley) on a dose of Saturday morning matinee "Oaters" -- Buck Jones, Ken Maynard, Tim McCoy "B" picture serials, followed in later years by John Ford/John Wayne epics, etc. They were great fun but, I came to realize, not very accurate reflections of real American Western history.

I am, in a modest way, a Western Historian and the above personal movie selection list contains what to me are the real gems of historically correct western movies -- attitudes, prejudices, speech idioms, equipment, dress ..... and so on.

James

Last edited by jamesicus; 28-12-2006 at 19:05.
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 20:48   #58
Resident Waffler

I can't think off hand of every film that has impressed me. "Impressed" isn't the same as enjoyed. I've enjoyed a lot of films without actually being impressed by them. Some which have left an impression with me though are:

The Jolson Story - could watch that over and over
Soldier Blue - as others have already said it changed the way cowboys'n'injuns were viewed
The Blue Max - just love those Fokker triplanes
Night of the Demon - that really spooked me when I first saw it and if you haven't seen it then I won't describe the final scene but it was the sound that got to me.
Ghost - pottery with Patrick (the whole film made me cry)
Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte - classic

There must be many more but I can't think of them off hand.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 21:37   #59
Senior Member+

oh its a toss up between cry baby and dirty dancing and stand by me i cant choose just one
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 21:51   #60

My personal selections by genre:

WW2 movies (no particular order of preference):

The life and death of Colonel Blimp

Yanks

Battleground

The Longest Day

Flags of our Father's

Mrs. Miniver

Saving Private Ryan

Hope and Glory

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Patton
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..