Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2006, 02:19   #61
God Member

Re: What Films Impressed You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesicus View Post
My personal selections by genre:

WW2 movies (no particular order of preference):
"Judgement at Nuremberg" with Spencer Tracy and Marlene Dietrich , can watch this movie over and over , in my all time top ten

anything with John Mills ........typical Brit

the RAF movie, Dambusters /633 squadron , where Richard Todd has the dog whose name is allways beeped out (on US television)

Tora Tora Tora , not the recent "Pearl Harbour" with all the Hollywood prettyboys

one of the worst WW2 movies is that Royal Navy thing made by Noel Coward and dedicated to his boyfriend Mountbatten

Korean War

Manchurian Candidate, original version with Frank Sinatra, not the crap remake with Denzil Washington

Vietnam War

the John Wayne thing , 'Green Berets' pure proaganda, typical big John but watchable

WW1

recent movie , now available for rent 'Joyuex Noel' about the Christmas day truce when the opposing sides played football one day and went back to war the following day , in English, French and German .....absolutly brilliant
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2006, 12:17   #62

Just got back from the pictures tonight, went to see the new 007 movie thougth it was really good.more believable than some earlier ones.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 12:35   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
one of the worst WW2 movies is that Royal Navy thing made by Noel Coward and dedicated to his boyfriend Mountbatten
'In Which We Serve' (1942)

Terrible, jingoistic rubbish.

They were actually just 'friends' by the way. Coward was actually in a relationship with Mountbatten's cousin Prince George, Duke of Kent, the present Queen's uncle.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 12:47   #64
Give, give, give member

Great British films-

Whisky Galore.

Passport to Pimlico.

Whistle Down the Wind.

Room at the Top.

Up the Junction.

Look Back in Anger.

Women in Love.

A Kind of Loving.

This Sporting Life.

...and though not really British, The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, which made me want to be a missonary for about ten years.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 13:16   #65
God Member

Mine is a toss up between

Officer and a Gentleman
Dirty dancing
pretty women ( yes it was on tother night and yes I knew what they were gonna say before they said it lol )

green mile is a great film

and another good one I watched other day and had forgotten about is

Goodnight uncle tom

I read the book when I was very young and seen the film loads of times! but I still love that film.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 13:26   #66
Resident Waffler

I'd forgotten Whisky Galore, Passport to Pimlico and Whistle Down the Wind. I love all those too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 16:43   #67

My personal selections by genre:

Musicals (no particular order of preference):

The Red shoes

Carousel

Amadeus

Oklahoma

Singing in the rain

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

South Pacific

The Sound of Music

Oliver

My Fair Lady

An American in Paris

Cabaret

The Jolson Story

Don Quixote

The King and I

The Pirates of Penzance

West Side Story
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 13:56   #68

The film that left a lasting impression on me was 'Bambi" saw it as a kid in Accy. It frightened me especially the forest on fire. Every time I see a bush fire over here it reminds me if this film. Also the serial of 'Flash Gordon' with Buster Crabbe and Dale Arden which I am quite sure many on this forum can remember. I used to watch this serial totaly enthralled in the Bug-hut on saturday mornings. I have just purchased the original 12 part series, on DVD from e-bay. and I can't wait for it to get here.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 15:46   #69

Admit it you all wanted to say Wizzard of Oz but didn't dare
Kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 20:43   #70
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: What Films Impressed You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'In Which We Serve' (1942)

Terrible, jingoistic rubbish.

They were actually just 'friends' by the way. Coward was actually in a relationship with Mountbatten's cousin Prince George, Duke of Kent, the present Queen's uncle.
But so accurate in its detail about navy life of the day garinda and the attitude of the officers to the men on the lower deck. Not forgetting the attitude of the men to the officers. It was much the same in the fifties except we didn’t have people chucking bombs, shells and torpedoes at us.

This late afternoon on Film 4 was another British wartime classic that is on a par with the best of them all - The Cruel Sea starring Jack Hawkins.

The Gift Horse starring Trevor Howard (Sid James was in it too and Richard Attenborough and Bernard Lee) was about a lease lend destroyer and the men serving in her. Great film and it brought back memories except that we slept in hammocks and not bunks. And HMS Alamein had more guns and 10 torpedo tubes. Strange that because the fighting “A” was an anti-aircraft destroyer. I mean how do you fire a torpedo at a plane?

Pity they never made a film of the book HMS Ulysses but I doubt if the censors would have allowed it
Old 01-02-2007, 21:38   #71
white rabbits

Yesterday i watched ZULU for about the hundredth time...and i was still spellbound.....i think its the background chanting that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.....What a superb picture that is...
not forgetting ZULU DAWN but that is not QUITE as good ...
Old 02-02-2007, 11:11   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
I don't mind admitting it - I love The Wizard Of Oz - there I said it Also from recent times Billy Elliott and The Full Monty are amongst my favourites.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 20:28   #73
God Member

Rented "the History Boys" last night a good movie , not the usual hollywood tripe , recommend for anyone who enjoys Alan Bennett
Thought 'the Last King of Scotland' ok but a bit overated
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 20:45   #74
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post

I first saw that film when I was 4. It terrified me!
Old 21-04-2007, 22:22   #75
God Member

Cool Re: What Films Impressed You?

Cruel Sea, Above Us the Waves, Oaklahoma, anything with James Robertson Justice. And from round about this era: Pulp Fiction, Natural Born Killers, Reservoir Dogs, and for some reason An American President.

Oh, and my partner says that Soldier Blue is still white man's propaganda. I think I will agree with her. Don't want to wake up tomorrow missing what is left of my hair.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..