Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2007, 22:28   #76
God Member

Re: What Films Impressed You?

I don't know about Impressed me BUT I watched the last 20 minutes of Entity last night. Now I watched this film about 15 years ago and it scared the life out of me. I watched it last night and..........................it scared the life out of me.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2007, 13:33   #77
Senior Member+

Recently watched the 1985 (Bela)Russian film 'Come and See'. Not sure impressed is the right word, but it deeply affected me.

Probably the most effective film about war ever made and just shows how far Hollywood has to go before it can ever contemplate creating something like this. Spielberg has so much to learn about real filmmaking.
Old 22-06-2007, 19:35   #78

The film that affects me most is "The Family Way" with Hywell Bennett, Hayley Mills (yum) and John Mills. It makes me cry even more than "It's a Wonderful Life" and that's saying something.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 19:43   #79

Another that I could watch (and have) again and again is The Duellists with Harvey Keitel & Keith Carradine. Its one of Ridley Scott's best but is always relegated to the graveyard shift if it's ever shown these days. I remember chris Kelly showing it being made on Clapperboard- another show they should have kept going.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 20:09   #80
God Member

I rarely watch any film more than once unless I didn't understand it first time - eg -2001 Space Odyssey.
But the 3 Godfather films I can watch over and over again, and have.
My ex-no2's auntie had married a Sicilian, who anyone could see was a consigliare (sound=consilliore). When we visited them (near Messina) it was clear to see -he had been mayor of Messiina - we could go in any cafe and eat for free just by saying we were his family. Every morning there were freebies on his doorstep and people touched ther brow when they met him (but didn't smile as they did it) - was a bit frightening.
Just a thought -no more Mafia cracks here please - it is no joke!!!!!

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 20:17   #81

British films from the 60's Billy Liar, A taste of Honey, Saturday night, Sunday morning. I remember seeing earthquake at the pictures on broadway and running out cryng cause the seats were shaking!
Recent films; goodfellas, godfather 1 and 2
always liked Jason and the argonauts, that metal statue coming to life used to give me nightmares. Also loved Kes with brian glover and the football sketch!!!
Old 22-06-2007, 20:55   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern View Post
Also loved Kes with brian glover

...and a young Lynn Perrie, aka Ivy Tilsley from Corrie.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 21:04   #83
God Member

I have always loved The Sound of Music.When I was younger I wanted 7 kids called Liesl,Friedrich,Louisa,Brigitta,Kurt,Marta and Gretl.Recently we went to the London Palladium to watch the show starring Connie Fisher (who won the BBC's How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria).It was an outstanding performance of a wonderful show.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 05:10   #84
God Member

just watched on DVD " Shooter" with Mark Wahlberg, full of mindless popcorn violence , will probably do wonders for military recriuting programs , worth the rental on a bad TV night

kind of reminded me though nothing like the old Charles Bronson classic 'the Mechanic' ,

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..