Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 00:32   #181
God Member

Re: Years Gone By

woods tobacconists were a bit like that little shop half way up burnley rd next to the car sales place.... they traded for donkeys years then just come to an abrupt end.....quite sad really....
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2007, 09:54   #182
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Years Gone By

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Wood's tobacconists was still trading on the day that the Union St club shut on 28th March 1989, they must have ceased trading shortly after. Have any of the members or their family members sat in the 'Gods' at the Hippodrome?
My regular haunt as a kid Ianto.W. Whenever I managed to acquire or save up 6d I was off to the hippodrome for the long climb up to the gods.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:33   #183
Beacon of light

The Electricity board showrooms used to be between the two Wood's shops.....NORWEB.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 13:13   #184
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
woods tobacconists were a bit like that little shop half way up burnley rd next to the car sales place.... they traded for donkeys years then just come to an abrupt end.....quite sad really....
I remember that shop, it was run by an old lady that would serve you cigarettes in 5's!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 14:39   #185
Resident Waffler

I used to love that shop. It seemed so quaint and old fashioned.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 13:10   #186
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
My regular haunt as a kid Ianto.W. Whenever I managed to acquire or save up 6d I was off to the hippodrome for the long climb up to the gods.
I have a signed photograph of Frank Randle leaning on his car, I think the car was an Armstrong -Sidley taken outside the Hippodrome, I think it's in the 'wartime suitcase', was he the last owner? jambutty, I knew the stage manager the late Harry Curry who used to sing when they had 'technical' problems, to stop the audience stamping their feet, he sang Joseph Locke songs and he was very good. I think the conductor of the orchestra was a man called Baxter he also had a hot food shop near the Spread Eagle pub, selling steak puddings and the like.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 17:43   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
well my hubby has asked me to ask who remembers the first supermarket in accy and what was it called .... ????
I remember it well......it was Maypoles...and it was my first job.....the old Maypoles was next to Bridges hardware shop opposite the market hall and they opened their new supermarket on the corner of Broadway and Union street.I was 15 at the time and remember feeling very proud to be put in charge of all the refrigerator ordering and restocking.It was a new experience for customers.I remember they employed an old guy at the door with a gruff voice yelling out........"HERE....TAKE A BASKET".....a lot of people backed outta da shop because they thought he was selling them...lol.....people were not used to having to line up at a checkout either...but in those days Maypole had packers on the checkouts to help out........Seems so long ago now.....and it was ......1961

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 22:14   #188
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

who remembers the sunken toilets on dutton street? the old tax office was across to the right going up from woolworths, and when roughly were they closed n sealed up?
Old 20-08-2008, 22:20   #189
God Member

I remember the old toilets - white tiles and an attendant always on duty - spotless.
I can't remember when they were sealed up, but they had gone by the time The Blue Dahlia coffee bar opened next to where they had been.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 22:23   #190
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I remember the old toilets - white tiles and an attendant always on duty - spotless.
I can't remember when they were sealed up, but they had gone by the time The Blue Dahlia coffee bar opened next to where they had been.
are ya sure margaret? thought they were still in use when it opened. used to use em fer a wash n brush up, when the landlady kicked me out.
Old 20-08-2008, 22:27   #191
God Member

You may well be right there - but closed by 1960(ish)

Old 21-08-2008, 09:41   #192
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Pardon me or asking but its years since I was in Accy, well that part of Accy anyway, but is the Blue Dahlia still there. I used to know the lad who ran it, he was called John, (Javani Annapo) he came from Sicily, was a great guy used to play pool with him in the Swan in the mid 70s, if I remeber rightly he took up British Citezenship.
Old 21-08-2008, 09:58   #193
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Pardon me or asking but its years since I was in Accy, well that part of Accy anyway, but is the Blue Dahlia still there. I used to know the lad who ran it, he was called John, (Javani Annapo) he came from Sicily, was a great guy used to play pool with him in the Swan in the mid 70s, if I remeber rightly he took up British Citezenship.
I don't go shopping nowadays either .... on any (rare) trip to Accy centre I always find there have been changes.

I only saw that fancy clock once.....and it wasn't in its display mode at the time

Old 21-08-2008, 10:15   #194
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It's an amusement arcade now, called the Blue Lagoon...sacrilege!
Old 21-08-2008, 10:45   #195
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It's an amusement arcade now, called the Blue Lagoon...sacrilege!
Totally agree WH used to like poping in for a coffee

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..