Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 04:41   #301
Resting in Peace

Re: Years Gone By

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I used to love the B movies, especially the detective and western fillums. In fact, a lot of the time, I used to like 'em better than the main feature!
Yea Wynonie you see them quite often on BBC TV these days
Old 13-05-2009, 02:47   #302
God Member

my memory is shot to bits but I do recall some names from the days when the pubs shut from 3 to 5 and you had the bods outside woolworth.. Geno, Kenner,Isacc, Dave Hill..these men were revolutionist in their time..the revolution of Cider!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 04:26   #303
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
my memory is shot to bits but I do recall some names from the days when the pubs shut from 3 to 5 and you had the bods outside woolworth.. Geno, Kenner,Isacc, Dave Hill..these men were revolutionist in their time..the revolution of Cider!
Which one were you mancie?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 05:18   #304
God Member

like i say bagpuss my memory is all to bits..but do recall the good times beating up scousers in stanley park...then back home to Accy for a swift pint in the Queens.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 07:20   #305
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
saw isacc yesterday wi his dog, geno was up bash last i heard, kenners still about, pops in canine occasionally.
Old 14-05-2009, 22:11   #306
Senior Member+

Issac - I saw him today sitting on the steps of the library. Not looking as well as he used to. I gave him a treat, to get a brew - hope he did! :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 09:27   #307
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I gave him a treat, to get a brew - hope he did! :-)
I used to do that...in 1967! Usually went across to the Wimpy Bar with him, bought him a brew and listened to him rabbit on. Got a lot of my musical appreciation education off him, which has stayed with me to this day.

Hope the lad's OK...for people of a certain age, he's an Accy institution!
Old 20-05-2009, 09:49   #308
Resting in Peace

What happened to the knife grinders that used to come around the streets, did they withdraw licences due to Health and Safety .. Or perhaps we are too well off now to get a knife sharpened, and just go out and buy a new one ? Or maybe everything is cut up for us now in packaged containers ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 10:44   #309
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
What happened to the knife grinders that used to come around the streets, did they withdraw licences due to Health and Safety .. Or perhaps we are too well off now to get a knife sharpened, and just go out and buy a new one ? Or maybe everything is cut up for us now in packaged containers ?
Think they went the same way as the Rag and Bone man kate, as for knives, being a tradesman I've always sharpened my own, and I still do it today once a week, prep knives and carvers that is
Old 20-05-2009, 12:57   #310
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
That went when people got gadget fever and bought electric knife sharpeners.
I had a 'butcher's steel', but left that job to darwendosser because he once was a butcher boy at Slingers, and I never got the knack of using it.
Now I have an electric knife.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 16:38   #311
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That went when people got gadget fever and bought electric knife sharpeners.
I had a 'butcher's steel', but left that job to darwen dosser because he once was a butcher boy at Slings, and I never got the knack of using it.
Now I have an electric knife.
Roast Beef just don't taste the same cut with a lecky knife Margaret
Old 13-12-2011, 19:40   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
My uncle George Rose used to own Rishy Crisps, then when he moved it up Harrod he sold out a multinational, cant remember the name, but he was still Chairman, then a few years later he died of a heart attack at his desk, ( circa 1970s ) .
hey alan isnt there anyway you can have those rishy beef barbeque crisps reproduced they were the favourite of all time in my area and have never found anything like them since. im sure they would take over as favourite flavour
chad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 06:15   #313

George Rose's daughter has a stall in accy market hall, I think she's still there. George is long dead now but he sold out to Burton foods just befor he died.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 01:00   #314

Me, too. Flash Gordon. We used to sing-'Is everybody happy, yes.
Do we ever worry, no.
To the odeon we have come.
now we're all together we can have some fun.
Do we wever worry, no!
Do we help our neighbours, yes.
We're a hundred thousand strong, so how can we all be wrong
As members of the O C C (Odeon Cinema Club) we stress
Is everybody happy? Yeeeeeeeees. came the resounding
roar from all the children.
I just loved it.
Happy memories.
Stephanie Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 01:02   #315

Do you mean down King Street?
Stephanie Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..