Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 06:43   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Your best friend

Retlaw - this is your best-ever posting , not from the point of view of truth, but sheer wit. I wish I had said it. I think Katex will be smiling when she sees it - and not a few more. Bot like you to be funny.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2011, 08:52   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Brings to mind a song I once heard, you must have been a beautiful baby, but crikey look at you now.
Retlaw.
Mmmm, Lurch, somehow don't think this was meant as a compliment ...
Actually, I believe I was not a beautiful baby ... had a tuft of Red Hair which stuck up on the top of my head, and the Maternity staff christened me 'Rosy Rooks' (maiden name)
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:06   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Mmmm, Lurch, somehow don't think this was meant as a compliment ...
Actually, I believe I was not a beautiful baby ... had a tuft of Red Hair which stuck up on the top of my head, and the Maternity staff christened me 'Rosy Rooks' (maiden name)
The last time I heard two people having a go at one another like you two do, they were happily married
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The last time I heard two people having a go at one another like you two do, they were happily married
Hahaha, Jaysay, that makes sense.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Hahaha, Jaysay, that makes sense.
Thought you'd agree Kate don't know about your friend though
Old 12-04-2011, 11:02   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Thought you'd agree Kate don't know about your friend though
What do you mean friend. I don't have friends, only enemies, at least you know where you stand with them.
Behind them.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 17:42   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
What do you mean friend. I don't have friends, only enemies, at least you know where you stand with them.
Behind them.
Retlaw.
Ya think the world of Kate really
Old 12-04-2011, 17:43   #23
Give, give, give member

I too missed this thread first time round.

Could have been getting some winter sun...at two of my best friends.

Lovely first post, and photos Katex.

I've got three.

I've had lots of wonderful friends throughout my life, but three I know would do anything for me, and I them.

All three now live abroad, but miles don't matter a jot. True friendship knows no barriers, or time differences.

Milly is now back in Milan, and John and Don are in Gran Canaria.

With those three people there is total trust, the same humour, and the same love. Most importantly for me, total forgiveness...no matter how much trouble I cause.

Even though I met my best friends at different times of my life, we all get on.

We were all invited to Milly's wedding last year, on a tiny island in Lake Como. My best friends have become best friends with each other, which is fantastic.

We'll all be best friends until we start kickin' the bucket.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 20:04   #24

My mum used to say that you only need one hand to count the number of true friends you really have. At the time I had quite a few, but with the years, the number has reduced to
exactly what my mum said.
This forum, however, has allowed me to meet a few people who I would like to consider as 'virtual' friends, and in this day and age, I think this is something to hold on to.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 23:14   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
My mum used to say that you only need one hand to count the number of true friends you really have. At the time I had quite a few, but with the years, the number has reduced to
exactly what my mum said.
This forum, however, has allowed me to meet a few people who I would like to consider as 'virtual' friends, and in this day and age, I think this is something to hold on to.
Now thats a thing "True Friends", a few years back we went oer to spain were i used to live, had me wallet nicked on train from airport,we had gone fer a month n was gonna book n early flight back,due to lack of dosh, within 48 hrs 3 couples i know,who live yon offered to lend me 1K, so we could stay, so we stopped yon, thats "True Friends" if ever there were.
Old 13-04-2011, 20:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Now thats a thing "True Friends", a few years back we went oer to spain were i used to live, had me wallet nicked on train from airport,we had gone fer a month n was gonna book n early flight back,due to lack of dosh, within 48 hrs 3 couples i know,who live yon offered to lend me 1K, so we could stay, so we stopped yon, thats "True Friends" if ever there were.
Funny you should reply, because you are one of those virtual friends I was referring to!!
Hope to see you in Summer
Old 13-04-2011, 20:53   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

unless i croak thats a damn good idea, be good to catch up.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:14   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Funny you should reply, because you are one of those virtual friends I was referring to!!
Hope to see you in Summer
He used to be my virtual friend as well sue, now the really cashy turns up for a chin wag, its far better than writing it down on here
Old 14-04-2011, 19:33   #29

Quote:
He used to be my virtual friend as well sue, now the really cashy turns up for a chin wag, its far better than writing it down on here
Chin wag!! I haven't heard that for years. Do you ever ask yourself where these expressions come from?
To be honest 'Chin wag' sounds a bit Chinese.
Now come on all the true Lancastrians, and give me the origins of this expression
Old 14-04-2011, 20:24   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Chin wag!! I haven't heard that for years. Do you ever ask yourself where these expressions come from?
To be honest 'Chin wag' sounds a bit Chinese.
Now come on all the true Lancastrians, and give me the origins of this expression
Not all Lanky expressions can be traced back to there origins, some are 100's of years old.
I can trace two sayings that were once in common useage, Gone Doolally, and All my eye and Betty Martin.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

« old boys | Broth »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..