Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2004, 23:20   #16

Re: connecting machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I'm just being my usual awkward self here because I've got one PC with card reader(s) and no floppy drive and one with floppy drive and no card reader. Both have CD writer/readsers but I hate wasting CDs so I think I'm going to have to get a USN thingy. It seems like that would be more use than getting a card reader for the other PC. I download direct from camera to that PC.
My father-in-law finds USB pens dead easy. It's just like a large floppy with drag and drop the files.

What to look for :-
Slim 7mm width USB pens. The one's with a fatter bodies are annoying as they get in the way with anything else plugged into the adjacent USB port. Slimmer is better.

A nice to have, are ones that allow you to password protect the files on the USB (Very useful if you lose these things)

A must have is a device that is USB 2 as it will be a helluva lot faster than USB 1.1 and is backwards compatible with USB 1.1. (techie stuff left out here)

Finally, if it's a bit fiddly plugging these things in at the back of your computer, (because your PC doesn't have ports at the front) get a USB extension cable.

I use these things a lot and you are right it saves wasting CD's

For the boys who like toys. These USB devices have moved up a notch. So instead of buying just a USB pen how about a USB Pen and MP3 player combined.

When you are not using the device to transfer files you can slap a few MP3's onto it and plug a pair of headphones in.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/0376274416327141/
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...sort=4a&page=3
Old 19-11-2004, 10:39   #17
God Member

Err why wate CDs for this sort of stuff have 1 or 2 rewriteable CDs knocking around. When they get full just reformat them and start again.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 11:40   #18
Resident Waffler

Cos one of my PCs is an old thing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 17:04   #19

If your computer is old, and doesn't have a USB port, then you can get cards to slot onto your motherboard (if you have a spare slot on your motherboard.)

Here is a quick link to illustrate the type of thing available.
http://www.nisis.com/Products/PCComp.../ComboCard.asp

(You may be able to do better than the quick site I found to illustrate the point.
I hope that helps)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..