Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 12:43   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: ISP's

Are you sure Bulldog install equipment in BT's exchange? I would be very surprised if they did. After there are an awful lot of exchanges about.
Old 09-02-2006, 14:40   #17
God Member

Yes, you can find out more about LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLU
Old 10-02-2006, 08:51   #18
God Member

Aye, Neil, lads right. LLU is how most of the higher speed stuff is coming. Be are talkinga bout 24M lines and Accrington was listed for Feb untill Feb1 came round, now it says August.

The only bit I'm not keen on about LLU is that you normally have to take their phone package as well.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:49   #19
God Member

Actualy, as far as im aware, bulldog is the only company that makes you take the phoneline as part of the package (correct me if im wrong). I'd prefer not to take the phoneline, but I think Bulldog are the only company that have unbundled the accrington exchange so I went ahead
Old 10-02-2006, 12:36   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Have a look at this info on Accy exchange
Old 10-02-2006, 22:18   #21
God Member

I'm with Tiscali broadband, which has been ok apart from the odd disconnection for no apparent reason but can usually reconnect pretty quickly. Think they may just get overloaded or sommat.... non techi on the crash computers forum....exit quick red...WHOOSH

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 14:58   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I am currently using Pipex and only had one little problem when they disconnected my account for a couple of days because I was being a naughty boy . I am about o change to the dreaded NTL. A good friend of mine has been with them for years with no problems. He is miffed that when he moves house he wont be able to use them still.
rtun run run and cancell your ntl

they have limits on how much bandwidth you can use each month and on the slowest speed it is a mere 1gb a month

they arnt charging for over use yet but they are going to do so if your with ntl i wouldnt surf too many high detail websites and definatly not watch and stream video , web cam or you will be paying extra ontop of your standard internet bill

also wouldnt plan on downloading any music either
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 09:37   #23
God Member

To be honest I wish NTL would put some cable down manchester road.. eventualy they'll have to make their caps bigger to compete with the likes of Bulldog which offer unlimited bandwidth for pretty much the same price.

Good thing about NTL is the pings (time it takes to communicate with the other computer(s) on the internet) are generaly better than adsl.
And... they plan to upgrade everyone to 10Mb speeds sometim and downe this year!
Best bit is they can in theory give you 100Mb connection, although when (if) they will ever roll that out is a different matter
Old 13-02-2006, 09:43   #24
Resting in Peace

Well i am with NTL and have been for 4 years and never had a problem,as for bandwidth i get 1 gig per day thats 30 gig a month
there was no problem moving we moved in on the sat and NTL moved everything over on the monday putting the cable where i wanted it running.
they even fixed a broken phone extension box for free .

Last edited by Mick; 13-02-2006 at 09:49.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 10:16   #25
God Member

I at present use BT but as I am a fair distence from the exchange I only get 1.1g down and 230m up. I could go cable with telewest as the connection box is there but
aint made my mind up yet weather to stay with BT or move.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 11:49   #26
Resting In Peace

We have been with NTL for 5 years and apart from a few teething problems in the first year or so which could have been my fault LOL, all is up and running fine here.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 11:51   #27

I personally would not touch NTL with a barge poll. Their customer service has got to be the worst of any. Anyway, I found this on Digital Spy. It may be of interest to some.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds29099.html

Last edited by Phylum; 13-02-2006 at 11:53.
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 12:34   #28
Resident Waffler

The main reason we changed from AOL was the inability to network. We wanted 3 PCs on a wirless thingummy and it couldn't be done for us on AOL. The customer service department used to be fairly helpful but towards the end of the time we were with them they changed location and the result was a huge drop in reliability and helpfullness.

As someone mentioned earlier they don't seem to do anything abut people who violate their TOS either in spite of the number if times they quote the "thou shalt nots". People do get told off for oversteppong the mark on the message boards but that's about all.

I've also had bad experiences with Wannado and found it almost impossible to cancel even when it got to the stage that I no longer had the PC it was loaded on and obviously hadn't used the thing for months they were still insisting I should pay and if I stopped my payments with the bank they were going to take me to court!

We've currently got Bulldog and apart from one bit of a hiccup it's been fine. We still have to get PC3 up and running but that is down to it being in a room full of car boot junk, er bric-a-brac and not being able to get at it. That's why the girls are using mine and I hardly get a look in in the evenings!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 12:39   #29

We are running two networked computers with AOL. We have a router that could take two more. We have never had a problem with that aspect of AOL, though we do use a wired network.
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 14:38   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
rtun run run and cancell your ntl

they have limits on how much bandwidth you can use each month and on the slowest speed it is a mere 1gb a month

they arnt charging for over use yet but they are going to do so if your with ntl i wouldnt surf too many high detail websites and definatly not watch and stream video , web cam or you will be paying extra ontop of your standard internet bill

also wouldnt plan on downloading any music either
no cap on my ntl bandwith and no extra charges either ...so not sure where you got that info from

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..