Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07   #16
Roy
Administrator

Re: Linux? Mozilla?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe that is why Hackintosh's are becoming a popular play thing for people without loads of dosh
But that defeats the point, you've got to faff about to get it to install, then faff about with kexts to get it to work properly, then you can't get updates... etc.etc.. If you want something that just works, I don't think a hackintosh is the answer.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2009, 10:37   #17
God Member

but as Neil referred to. Macs are not cheap.........

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47   #18
Roy
Administrator

Neither is time! The more time people spend tweaking and faffing, in theory adds to the cost of the computer.
If you use computers to make money, you shouldnt mind paying a little more for a robust system which requires minimum faffing! I wouldn't like to imagine the amount of lost time due to windows.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:59   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I agree if you use it to make money Roy. For us plebs at home though we need our PC's to be affordable and reliable. For that the best current option is probably using Linux, if you can make the damn thing work. I have put it on several machines and never had a straight forward install yet.

My netbook is poorly supported - it is quite new so I suppose it is understandable.
Massive problems with a couple of bog standard IBM office PC's at work - ended up sticking a couple of AGP video cards in them.
An older laptop I had would not install out of the box either.

My home PC boots fine with it though with no problems.

My biggest problem though is me and the kids like to kill things with big guns online in our spare time and game support in Linux is pants

I suspect even less games work with OSX than Linux. Games worth playing that is
Old 02-04-2009, 11:56   #20
God Member

Linux is free.. but windows is free when you by most pc's .. if you just want to use t'internet to get news, yellow pages , chat and stuff why would you go through the hassle of downloading and then working out all the fantastic features linux users claim to be on the OP?...then have to probe the web to get totall bull from linux experts in tech forums?.. you have it man.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:17   #21
Senior Member+

currently my firefox is as slow as a snail had no
problems until recently

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 13:00   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Linux is free.. but windows is free when you by most pc's ..
Windows is never free, you pay for it in the price of the PC. You can see that when you look at netbooks. If you look at the 12" Dell ones the XP version is £50 more than the Linux one. The only other difference is a slightly bigger hard drive - probably not even £10 extra. The Linux Hard drive is 60Gb and the XP one is 80Gb.

With Linux you don't get all the spyware and virus issues you do with Windows. You don't need the anti this and anti that software so your PC runs faster.

I agree there are still issues with Linux, there are a lot of issues with Windows though. If you buy a new PC with Linux on you wont have any problems.
Old 02-04-2009, 13:02   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
currently my firefox is as slow as a snail had no
problems until recently

Is it Firefox, your web connection, your PC or just the website you are trying to view that is slow? There are a lot of variables when website is slow.
Old 03-04-2009, 14:35   #24
God Member

I like Linux, far more than Windows, but Mac has it. Only today I discovered an eBay seller application that is absolutely fantastic, blows the Windows alternative out of the water. It goes without saying that security and viruses are little to worry about on OSX. Safari 4 is by far the fastest browser I've used too, even more so than Google Chrome.
Old 03-04-2009, 14:38   #25

I have had no problems with Firefox at all and have been using it since version 1.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entwisi bait, linux

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..