Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 12:18   #16
God Member

Re: Msn

Those dialog boxes are a service called messenger(nothing to do with MSN Messenger). You can turn it off in teh control panel, admin tools, services. Or Steve Gibson does a couple of tools to do this and some other bits. www.grc.com

HTH, HAND etc

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2005, 21:15   #17
Accy Goddess

I was getting loads of stuff popping up when I had m.s.n.
No problems since i had it taken off.
I wont be going back there in an hurry.
I do miss not being able to talk to people on there though.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 23:15   #18
Senior Member+

Yahoo is an option, but there is another application you can use, from which you can manage MSN, Yahoo and another one (can't recall the name).

It's also free, I think, but for the name you'll need to ask someone else.

I would suspect entwisi knows - he knows lots of techie things!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:26   #19
God Member

Why thank you young Vorlon,

The application is called GAIM. It is available for lots of platforms, Windows, Linux etc.

The link to download it is http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/g...1.exe?download

If you were getting dialog boxes (with an OK button) then it is the service I mentioned above and nothing to do with MSN Messenger. What you probably had was a connection to MSN which the spammers know the range of internet addresses that get given out. They just hit them using brute force. If you turn off the messenger service(as above) this will stop it without affecting you being able to use MSN Messenger.

Let me know if anyone want a detailed step by step guide to sorting this out.

Ian
Old 08-02-2005, 19:28   #20
mez
God Member

any one having trouble with m.s.n this evening? i cant get on mine again gggrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-02-2005, 20:52   #21
Beacon of light

Sara, there is a PC for sale on Accyweb for a cheap price.
I need a new one too, but I will have to save up for a bit I think.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 21:29   #22

Thanks Margeret, just had a look. Shall get my son to read all the jargon when he gets in, to me it is all double dutch. Wonder why it is so cheap?

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 23:29   #23
God Member

Yeah MSN keeps going down tonight with apparantly an extremely large number of people trying to sign in its over worked microsofts stuff so they trying to get it back working soon
John_Timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:56   #24
God Member

Sarah its cheap because its old. If you wnat to play games released in the last 3 years it will struggle. If all you want is Internet/Word processing/spreadsheets and teh odd game of solitaire then it will be fine. It isn't badly priced but be warned that it will not include the license for XP and Office so you will not be able to use the updates facility.
Old 09-02-2005, 13:35   #25
God Member

I had a few problems last night with MSN but apart from that I never have problems. I have got MSN Beta and never had a problem (touch wood)
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 20:38   #26

Thanks entwisi my son said similar thing. Going to have to get a new PC, but i want a very up to date one. The children on the McCain advert trying to decide which is best daddy or chips reminds me of me, but it's a case of holiday or PC. Also thanks to Margeret for pointing it out. (Sorry Reidy hope you sell it soon.)

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 20:56   #27
God Member

Scan are currently doing some decent base unit deals http://www.scan.co.uk/mixit/ and eBuyer also have decent deals on. As per other post PM me if you want advice etc
Old 09-02-2005, 21:02   #28
Beacon of light

like you Sara I don't understand all the jargon......and I am saving up for a new base unit.
Old 09-02-2005, 21:08   #29
Beacon of light

Entwisi.......looks like a good site for a techie.......but me I'm blinded with science!
Old 09-02-2005, 21:09   #30
Beacon of light

If I could get one that would do the ironing and put it away too........wow that would be brilliant!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..