Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 22:32   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: struggling to switch laptop on

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetrovers View Post
It turn's out that my laptop was switching on, but there is no image on the screen.
I took it into a computer shop on Blackburn Road, and the chap there reckon's it's the GRAPHIC CARD playing up.
So it look's like a visit to PC World or Comet to get a new laptop.
Thanks for everyone's suggestion's.
Hope yeh don't mean the shop near the owd Grammar School mate? if so defo get a second opinion, theres a thread on here somewhere about yon place.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I would get a 2nd opinion on that, why should removing the battery, and then replacing it affect the graphics card.
If you get a new one you will have a learning curve if you've never used win 7 before, I've had a computer with win 7 couldn't get my head round the stupid phrasiology, nowts where it should be, gave it to my daughter, she gave it back, said it was crap, must be something wrong with 7, or why is gates rushing out a new OS.
There is nothing wrong with Windows 7, its just different than xp, in many ways I prefer it, in a few I don't.

I think you soon get used to it as most people don't use the operating system much but the apps that are on the PC.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:21   #18

Quote:
I would get a 2nd opinion on that..
Agreed. Last lappy I had to fix had managed to get itself stuck on the external display setting. It was a trivial matter to fix it. Earned me a bottle of whiskey, though...

Quote:
... why have a lap top, or a portable if its always plugged into the mains, might as well throw the battery away.
I agree completely. Doesn't stop people from buying laptops, and leaving them connected to the mains even when off. Some people don't have the space for a desk, or space on their desk for a desktop machine. Or want to watch TV while surfing. Loads of reasons for having a mains powered portable...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 13:47   #19
Senior Member+

Rushing?

XP Released 2001
Vista Released 2005
Seven Released 2009

Doesn't seem like they are rushing to me. More like a set pattern for them.

If your daughter uses a Mac or Linux I can understand her saying its crap.

Windows 7 is the best operating system they have released in years. Definitely the most stable and user friendly

Windows 8 is aimed more at tablets/touch-- We are moving into the touch screen era and Microsoft have to do something about it = windows 8

I suggest you try Windows8 consumer preview and think again before saying 'nothing is where it should be' W8 will make your brain melt.(i am just kidding dude-- im just saying it is THAT BAD)

Quote:
I would get a 2nd opinion on that, why should removing the battery, and then replacing it affect the graphics card.
If you get a new one you will have a learning curve if you've never used win 7 before, I've had a computer with win 7 couldn't get my head round the stupid phrasiology, nowts where it should be, gave it to my daughter, she gave it back, said it was crap, must be something wrong with 7, or why is gates rushing out a new OS.

Last edited by Restless; 02-06-2012 at 13:50.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 15:03   #20

A lot of Laptops are having issues with batteries especially Windows Vista .....mine included. When the laptop has the mains lead in I keep getting a message...that the "power lead connected but the Battery not charging"
When you dissconnect the lead, it goes off and will only come back on with the lead plugged in. I have two batteries both OK, but it will not charge them. I have gone on Google and it seems it is a common problem with windows on laptops, there are various "solutions" put forward, but it appears hit and miss whether they work or not, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive solution. One Popular "remedy" is to switch on the laptop then remove the battery, then switch off the laptop, remove the mains lead, hold the on button down for ten seconds, then plug in the lead and switch on again, then insert the battery...but doesn't seem to work for most people...others include going into the battery registry.......and disabling things...
Buying a new battery doesn't solve it...so dont know if this is the same problem as yours....
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 15:24   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Rushing?

XP Released 2001
Vista Released 2005
Seven Released 2009

Doesn't seem like they are rushing to me. More like a set pattern for them.

If your daughter uses a Mac or Linux I can understand her saying its crap.

Windows 7 is the best operating system they have released in years. Definitely the most stable and user friendly

'nothing is where it should be'
Praise 7 as much as you want but I still don't like it, they've changed thy names of umpteen things, new phrasiology, & Nowt where it should be. On the dammed thing the hard drive has two partitions, both near enough the same size, manage to find a way to look at them, the 2nd partition box had dire warnings about what would happen if I made it active. so what good is it.
Its about time we made gill bates's programmers learn the Lanky dialect, then we would be able to understand what they mean.
No outlook Express. Just had another look at it, still not keen.
I'm not a chicken any more, and short term memory is not up to it.
I'm not in the mood to spend ages learning about 7. I've too much else to do.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Neil; 03-06-2012 at 10:23. Reason: fix quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 15:42   #22
Beacon of light

There is nothing wrong in sticking to what you know and like........I am a Vista hater - it is the most user unfriendly operating system ever........could not get used to it(maybe, because I didn't like it)........but Windows 7 is a different kettle of fish altogether.
But use what you are used to Retlaw, and what you are comforatble with.
(windows 7 didn't take much getting used to...or learning about...but that's just my opinion).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 16:27   #23
Senior Member+

I have Vista on my desktop and windows 7 on my laptop. I find them both ok to work with.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 17:27   #24
Beacon of light

thankfully my desktop is windows 7.......the thing with Vista isn't that it doesn't work...it does, but it isn't user friendly.....ungainly to use.
My Laptop has Vista on it(I am supposed to be changing it over to Ubuntu but haven't got around to it just yet...life keeps getting in the way) it is a bumhole of an operating system.
All I can say Maxthecollie, is.....you must be a really patient guy - especially so, as you have windows 7 to compare Vista with.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 18:26   #25
Senior Member+

I find them both easy to work with. I use my laptop mainly to process my photos when I go on Holiday.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 20:54   #26
Senior Member+

It is not praise. Just simple facts. I do not praise Microsoft products much these days

Outlook/Outloook express?

Its now called Windows Live Mail. You have to install it separately

Windows Live Essentials: Other Programs

The computer you are on about. Is it a desktop/tower or a laptop? does it have more than one HD or is it partitioned. Could be something faulty going on there. HDD's don't last forever

Quote:
Praise 7 as much as you want but I still don't like it, they've changed thy names of umpteen things, new phrasiology, & Nowt where it should be. On the dammed thing the hard drive has two partitions, both near enough the same size, manage to find a way to look at them, the 2nd partition box had dire warnings about what would happen if I made it active. so what good is it.
Its about time we made gill bates's programmers learn the Lanky dialect, then we would be able to understand what they mean.
No outlook Express. Just had another look at it, still not keen.
I'm not a chicken any more, and short term memory is not up to it.
I'm not in the mood to spend ages learning about 7. I've too much else to do.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Restless; 02-06-2012 at 20:56.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 21:03   #27
Senior Member+

^ when i say simple facts in above post. I don't me to sound like a jerk-- Im just saying
Old 02-06-2012, 22:09   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
It is not praise. Just simple facts. I do not praise Microsoft products much these days

Outlook/Outloook express?

Its now called Windows Live Mail. You have to install it separately

Windows Live Essentials: Other Programs

The computer you are on about. Is it a desktop/tower or a laptop? does it have more than one HD or is it partitioned. Could be something faulty going on there. HDD's don't last forever
Its a small desk top, Packardbell, as I said the hard drive has two partitions, as for the state of the hard drive, don't think its had more than 5 hrs running time since I bought it over 12 months ago, I don't want windows live mail, I want my normal email program, and as far as I know there is no Outlook for win 7. I would like to put XP on the other partition & make it bootable, but don't know how.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 23:37   #29
Senior Member+

Live/Outlook- as far as I know they are basically the same program. Most likely with a different theme and things moved around.

If you install XP over the the non system partition it will overwrite(i think) the bootloader, and it will boot from that partition and then you can format the seven partition and then use it for storage...(or it might create a dual boot screen, i doubt it though this way around.)

Do you have an XP disc? I really wouldn't recommend XP to anybody to use XP on a new pc. On an older pc where the spec is a lot lower, then yeah it is prob better to use XP.

Quote:
Its a small desk top, Packardbell, as I said the hard drive has two partitions, as for the state of the hard drive, don't think its had more than 5 hrs running time since I bought it over 12 months ago, I don't want windows live mail, I want my normal email program, and as far as I know there is no Outlook for win 7. I would like to put XP on the other partition & make it bootable, but don't know how.
Retlaw.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:48   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I have Vista on my desktop and windows 7 on my laptop. I find them both ok to work with.
I've used both myself max and had no problems I'm on 7 with my laptop and its great

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..