Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 10:27   #31
Senior Member+

Re: struggling to switch laptop on

there is no way on earth I would use vista and/or keep it installed on a computer of mine. I wouldn't even reccomend it to my worst enemy
Old 03-06-2012, 10:29   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
...... I would like to put XP on the other partition & make it bootable, but don't know how.....
You might have problems making XP work on a new machine. It is very possible that you wont be able to find all the drivers you need to make the new machine work correctly.

As for the partition you mentioned, can you not see it in Windows Explorer? Many new PC's have a partition that stores all the restore data to return your PC to its new state if things get messed up.

This was done in XP as well on most new machines.
Old 03-06-2012, 13:20   #33
Senior Member+

Agreed. This is just one of the reasons I don't recommend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is very possible that you wont be able to find all the drivers you need to make the new machine work correctly.
Old 03-06-2012, 13:27   #34
God Member

did you shine a torch onto the screen to see if theres anything there, it sounds like it could just be the inverter.windows 7 is top as it downloads the drivers when installing it saves me hours
Old 03-06-2012, 13:41   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Live/Outlook- as far as I know they are basically the same program. Most likely with a different theme and things moved around.

If you install XP over the the non system partition it will overwrite(i think) the bootloader, and it will boot from that partition and then you can format the seven partition and then use it for storage...(or it might create a dual boot screen, i doubt it though this way around.)

Do you have an XP disc? I really wouldn't recommend XP to anybody to use XP on a new pc. On an older pc where the spec is a lot lower, then yeah it is prob better to use XP.
Yes I have a legal XP disc, I've already tried to install XP, it more or less told me to sod off, so it just sits there alongside the other computers.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Neil; 03-06-2012 at 18:36. Reason: fix quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 13:54   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
You might have problems making XP work on a new machine. It is very possible that you wont be able to find all the drivers you need to make the new machine work correctly.
I don't really need all the drivers some people can't live with out, no sound drivers, wouldn't bother me, and any thing to do with games isn't needed, as long as I can access the internet via explorer, & my emails, store all my folders with all my WW 1 pictures, what else do I need.
Quote:
As for the partition you mentioned, can you not see it in Windows Explorer? Many new PC's have a partition that stores all the restore data to return your PC to its new state if things get messed up.
It has another small partition that stores the restore data, the two main partitions C:\ & D:\ are the same size, C:\ contains the present operating system, D:\ is empty

Retlaw.

Last edited by Neil; 03-06-2012 at 18:37. Reason: fix quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:11   #37
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Live/Outlook- as far as I know they are basically the same program. Most likely with a different theme and things moved around.
You say Live/Outlook are basically the same, But would my email address be the same, or would I have to spend ages informing every one on my list, of a new email address. The computers I use now do what I tell them to do, I don't want to spend ages, arguing with a dammed computer about what I want to do, because some septic tank programmer, kissing gill bates arrse, has come up with some daft idea trying to justify his existance.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Neil; 03-06-2012 at 18:37. Reason: fix quote
Old 04-06-2012, 18:11   #38
Senior Member+

no you use the same email. the settings should be the same as they were on outlook. But hopefully they might have made the settings easier.

Oh Mr Retlaw. You do not want to try windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
You say Live/Outlook are basically the same, But would my email address be the same, or would I have to spend ages informing every one on my list, of a new email address. The computers I use now do what I tell them to do, I don't want to spend ages, arguing with a dammed computer about what I want to do, because some septic tank programmer, kissing gill bates arrse, has come up with some daft idea trying to justify his existance.
Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..