Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 12:02   #16
God Member

Re: Wireless network up and running

It sounds it but to be honest if you can follow simple instructions it is very simple. In fact 90 % of people who aren't PC savy will get it working faster than a lot of those who think they are because they will follow the instructions rather than thinking 'Oh, I know what I'm doing!' and then proceed to make a pigs ear of it. The hard part is knowing what instructions to follow. That is where weirdos like me who know what is required come in.

In my work, my job is to do the hard work in designing systems and doing initial builds , fixing problems etc and then documenting it so almost anyone could do it. The build guides I write are pretty much step by step, click this, type that. In truth, there are a heck of a lot of IT jobs that are actually just smoke and mirrors. If you can follow instructions then you could do the job.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2005, 12:23   #17
Senior Member+

I went with Netgear equipment as I heard that they make it very simple, and it was. You stick the cd in the drive and it takes you through step by step in setting up the network. You follow the instructions to the letter and click 'next' when you have done what it tells you.

I am glad that I did it myself - at least if something goes wrong I know what to check and may have a better idea of how to solve the problem than if I had someone else set it up for me.

Plus of course the smug factor!!!

Now I have been asked by a few colleagues if I can install their wireless networks!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 13:03   #18
God Member

Vorlon, don't forget that IT contract rates start at £35 an hour!

We have our mistique to uphold you know.
Old 04-08-2005, 13:18   #19
Senior Member+

I have a bit of a problem with that - I notice that a lot of techies can't spell...

Old 04-08-2005, 17:04   #20
Resting in Peace

I dont have a problem i do two things 1 if 1 will not work the i go to 2

Last edited by Mick; 04-08-2005 at 17:06.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 17:47   #21
land of hope and glory

you been watching me mick......he....hee
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 17:53   #22
Resting in Peace

Right i am not well up on networking and Staggeringman needs some help if there is anyone that can help staggers set a wireless network up then please get intouch with him
thankyou.
ps im sure he will buy you a pint
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 18:09   #23
Resident Waffler

I think vorlon is charging £35 an hour now.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 19:06   #24

I'm in the market for a normal, wired router if you now have an old one you replaced with the wireless one?

Ta,

BumFace

"it's not the things they say about me I worry about - it's the things they whisper."
BumFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 19:34   #25
Senior Member+

I am sorry, I missed out the wired part and went straight for wireless. With the walls in my house made of concrete, its the only way to go!

I am getting a new laptop soon as well, courtesy of work!!!

Old 04-08-2005, 19:39   #26

Yeah I got a nice Toshiba one from work with the "I can support users from home" chestnut!

cd/dvd writer 1gb ram go on!

Of couse I've had to get 3mg cable internet too!

Mr Smug Mark II

"it's not the things they say about me I worry about - it's the things they whisper."
BumFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 19:52   #27
Senior Member+

My laptop is essential to my work as a financial adviser, and now that it is on the network, hopefully I can free up some space on the hard drive.

Time to remove the music!

Old 05-08-2005, 08:08   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFace
Yeah I got a nice Toshiba one from work with the "I can support users from home" chestnut!

cd/dvd writer 1gb ram go on!

Of couse I've had to get 3mg cable internet too!

Mr Smug Mark II
Heh, I'm currently a 3 laptop , 2 server family. Just got my new lappy so I've now got

2 personal lappys, both 1 gig Ram, DVD writers(1 dual layer), all wifi and bluetoothed.
1 work lappy, only 768 M and no CDROM

2 Servers mainly for file serving (MP3s etc) and Print server.

Oh and don't forget my PDA with over 300M Ram and two phones each with over 1/2 Gig Ram each

Oh and did I mention a very understanding wife

Old 05-08-2005, 13:23   #29
Senior Member+

You forgot your daughter - who I am sure will find some rather unusual uses for dual layer dvd writers...!!!

Old 05-08-2005, 14:32   #30
God Member

Siobhan likes watching the Goom(http://www.ios-software.com/index.ph...=projet&quoi=1) visualistaion I use on my media player.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..